The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Patrick Patterson...

culpepperboy 2020-05-09 21:42:16 

I just saw some old clips of him.
His mannerisms the way he speaks and his wicket taking celebrations remind me a lot of Ambrose.

Halliwell 2020-05-09 21:44:58 

In reply to culpepperboy
Agreed
The overspill of an introvert’s ecstatic joy

Dukes 2020-05-09 22:26:47 

In reply to culpepperboy

You will like Ambrose getting Healy

culpepperboy 2020-05-09 23:07:28 

In reply to Dukes

I always enjoyed our getting Ian Tiefly out.

culpepperboy 2020-05-09 23:11:44 

I remember my dad taking me to watch the mini test at Kensington Oval between Jamaica and Bim. To be honest I was backing Patterson Walsh and Holding. I was also backing Marshall and Garner. Can you tell that I like fast bolwing. big grin

Dukes 2020-05-10 00:30:57 

In reply to culpepperboy

In 1986 at Sabina Park the wicket had uneven bounce and Patrick Patterson was unplayable.In the match against Guyana he bowled out Guyana before lunch for 41, taking 7 for 24.In the next match against the Leeward Islands he bowled them out for 77.He hit Kelly on the head forcing him to retire hurt and dismissed Richie for less than 10 in both innings and Viv for less than 10 in the second innings with Walsh dismissing the mMaster Blaster for a single digit score in the first Innings.Everybody was scared even us in the crowd hoping that no batsman got seriously injured

Trinidave 2020-05-10 01:29:57 

Dujon said Patterson was de quickest he ever kept to.

Raggs 2020-05-10 07:54:52 

In reply to Trinidave

Patrick Patterson and Jeffery Dujon are ex Woolmers Boys schools lads.
Micheal Holding is a former Kingston College lad. They are arch enemies.Take that as a pitch of salt.
A young Ian Bishop was super rapid too.

jacksprat 2020-05-10 10:24:15 

In reply to Raggs

It could also be said that Walsh, Patterson (Happy Grove, Wolmers, XLCR) -and Gayle - are also Excelsior alumnni; then add Rudy Cohen, Uton Dowe and Jacksprat and you would recognise the undoubted fast bowling tradition of excellencebig grin big grin

Uton Dowe once wrecked the Combined Islands with figures of something like 7-19 to force his way into the West Indies team.

Raggs 2020-05-10 13:17:27 

In reply to jacksprat

Yuh ina de mix too..wha!

jacksprat 2020-05-10 13:59:28 

In reply to Raggs

Just boosting up myself.big grin

I did use the new ball, while Walsh was still a gangly leg spinner but, truth be told, I was a little slower than Darren Sammy! big grin big grin

Dukes 2020-05-10 14:45:07 

In reply to Raggs

In fairness to Dujon,he did say that he was not the wicketkeeper when Holding was at his fastest in the late 1970's. and by the time he came into the team as wicketkeeper Holding was a tad slower.

Raggs 2020-05-10 17:12:01 

In reply to Dukes

So what made Cuddy crank it up.

Dukes 2020-05-10 17:13:43 

In reply to Raggs

So what made Cuddy crack it up.

or crank it up??
?????

Raggs 2020-05-10 18:34:01 

In reply to Dukes

I did correct long time ago sir..damn the keyboard police on here always on eat..or it is heat?

Dukes 2020-05-10 19:04:00 

In reply to Raggs

Still not sure what you are getting at.I remember after bowling out Guyana for 41,everybody was going ga ga about Patterson and Holding basically said that Walsh was a better bowler.

Raggs 2020-05-10 19:25:02 

In reply to Dukes

Jacks said he was the opening bowler when him and Cuddy Walsh played sunlight cricket in their school days. At the time Courtney was a leg spinner. I just asked when did Walsh make the change in his career to bowl fast and why.

camos 2020-05-10 19:41:57 

In reply to Raggs

I remember a story ,that said Walsh took all 10 wickets in a sunlight cup game, 5 as a pacer and 5 as a spinner.

Raggs 2020-05-10 20:12:34 

In reply to camos

I noticed in his test playing career he had quite a deadly leg cutter. The likes that only Colin Croft had.
Maybe it developed from his leg spinning days.

Benjie 2020-05-10 21:25:42 

In reply to Dukes

Yeah, he was deadly fast. Later in the season he came to Antigua for the one day finals and shook up the likes of Enoch Lewis and Ralston Otto. Richie was yorked first ball of that match by Walsh. Only Viv played him comfortably on that occasion. I think he made 60 something. It was one of the most eagerly anticipated matches at the ARG. Everyone wanted to see Patterson.

Dukes 2020-05-10 21:33:39 

In reply to Benjie

Kudos to you bannas. U R dead on with your facts. Balfour Patrick Patterson was awesome on his day.Another deadly guy on his day was Sylvester Clarke.

jacksprat 2020-05-10 21:44:55 

In reply to Raggs

He started bowling fast around 1980. One evening at. practise - I had already left school then- the regular fast bowler was spraying
the ball all over the place when, out of frustration the coach asked Mark (that's the name we called him then) to try his hand at bowling some pace, The rest is history when later that season he took all 20 wickets against Camperdown High.He bowled a combination. Of his usual leg spin and some pace.

Benjie 2020-05-10 22:39:04 

In reply to Dukes

Darwin Telemaque former Winward Islands opening Batsman once said that Patterson was the quickest and most dangerous fast bowler he faced. Patterson was fast and he bowled to hit the batsman. Darwin felt that Bishop ( pre injury) and Marshall were probably the best new ball bowlers that he faced because not only were they lethally quick but they were bowling to out him.

I have some Bajan friends that swear that Sylvester Clarke and Ricky Elcock were the fastest bowlers to come out of Barbados.

Dukes 2020-05-10 22:49:59 

In reply to Benjie

I think Sylvester Clarke appeared faster than he actually was because of his action that caused you to not see the ball until quite late.

Benjie 2020-05-10 22:53:23 

In reply to Dukes

Who is the fastest produced by Guyana ? Colin Croft ? Reon King ?

Dukes 2020-05-10 23:08:02 

In reply to Benjie

Colin Croft.
He was very fast from schooldays.He played for Central High School.They played against my school Queen's College and Croft hit Clyde Walcott's son in the box.Juggie(his nick-name) had to retire hurt and Croft was boasting all the time so nobody liked him.I think he got selected to play for Guyana while still a teenager and ran in to Lawrence Rowe at Sabina.In those days Rowe used to whistle and when Croft came back home he was mercilessly teased.The guys said that Rowe was whistling "You sweeten me" when Croft was bowling.

DonD 2020-05-10 23:11:37 

In reply to Dukes

In those days Rowe used to whistle

I guess Rowe cut out the whistling after he came up vs Lillie and Thommo in Australia in 1975.

Benjie 2020-05-10 23:19:26 

In reply to Dukes

I have heard about Sobers, the 3Ws, Bradman and many more greats. But the only batsman I wish I was able to see live and when in his prime is Lawrence Rowe. What went wrong ? I remember reading something about him being allergic to freshly mowed grass or something like that.

Dukes 2020-05-10 23:56:16 

In reply to Benjie

Lawrence Rowe was an ENIGMA.He was like Bradman when he was at Sabina Park. Away from Sabina Park he played one or two unbelievable innings but he was a tremendous disappointment.He had 2 top class innings in Australia.In the first test second innings 1975,both he and Kallicharran scored centuries and in a World Series Cricket match he scored 175 flawless runs.Rowe developed all kinds of weird ailments and in the end only played 30 test matches.He should have played at least 80 test matches and scored about 15 centuries..As it is he averaged over 100 at Sabina,59 in the West Indies and 29 outside the West Indies.
The innings that will be talked about 50 years from now is the 302 at Kensington Oval in Barbados.
For pure batsmanship they do not get any better than Lawrence George Rowe.Even Viv idolized him in the early days.I remember in 1974 Sobers in Guyana talking to us schoolboys and somebody asked him to compare Rowe and Kallicharran and Sobers was dismissive of the question by saying that Rowe was so special, he was effectively a one in a generation type of talent.