The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Nicholas Johnson PRINCETON FIRST BLACK VALEDICTORIAN

openning 2020-05-12 04:02:06 

Nicholas is the son of Dr Dexter Johnson, a Bahamian now practicing medicine in Montreal, Canada, along with his wife Anita. Dr Johnson, who is particularly fond of asserting his roots in Cat Island, grew up in St Barnabas Church in Nassau, where his mother Mavis is still a devoted parishioner.)

Link Text

black 2020-05-12 04:22:37 

In reply to openning

Link

dayne 2020-05-12 13:10:13 

Many Caribbean scholars doing well in America, the head of Howard University in DC is Trinidadian.

jacksprat 2020-05-12 23:32:38 

He also has Jamaican roots and I am proud to say his mother, Dr. Anita Brown-Johnson was my schoolmate.

In another proud moment for Excelsior High School, Nicholas Johnson, son of past student, Dr Anita Brown-Johnson'78, has been named Princeton University's valedictorian for the 2020 graduating class. He becomes the first Black student given that signal honour in the 274 years history of the august Ivy League institution

XDFIX 2020-05-13 00:00:29 

I wonder why the article didn't give some credit to the Jamaican mother!

JahJah 2020-05-13 01:06:21 

In reply to XDFIX

If his mother is really Jamaican then the url should tell you all you need to know. Is nuh dem smear our CARIFTA team bags with faeces?

Dan_De_Lyan 2020-05-13 02:23:28 

In reply to jacksprat

class of 78?

so you are 60. bat on

Ewart 2020-05-13 13:27:31 

In reply to XDFIX

I believe the article said the father is also from The Rock.

//

jacksprat 2020-05-13 13:35:53 

In reply to Ewart

I believe the article said the father is also from The Rock.

The father is from Cat Island in the Bahamas. He is the cousin of one my university batch mates.

In reply to XDFIX

AND

In reply to JahJah

If his mother is really Jamaican then the url should tell you all you need to know. Is nuh dem smear our CARIFTA team bags with faeces?

Just like how the Gleaner's lead was "Jamaican Dr. Anita Brown-Johnson said she was not surprise that her son Nicholas..." so maybe there is nothing nefarious about the angle taken. It could just be the matter of the target audience. It is a Bahamian publication after all so they focused on the Bahamian angle just like how we focused on the mother's Excelsior connection on our high school alumni page