The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

That Bay of Piglets raid ...

Ewart 2020-05-12 10:49:24 

See AP report below.

Hmmmmmn... I wonder who provided the money.

CARACAS (AP):

VENEZUELAN OPPOSITION leader Juan Guaidó said Monday that two US-based political advisers have resigned in the fallout from a failed incursion into the Caribbean nation, led by a former Green Beret aimed at capturing President Nicolás Maduro.

Guaidó said he accepted the resignations of Juan José Rendon and Sergio Vergara, who had signed an agreement for a mission to arrest Maduro with US military veteran Jordan Goudreau. While that deal fell apart, Goudreau has taken responsibility for going ahead with a failed attack launched on May 3 on a beach outside the capital, Caracas.

Rendon said he gave Goudreau $50,000 to cover some initial expenses, but both say the contract was never fulfilled and he received no more funds.

//

Chrissy 2020-05-12 12:56:11 

In reply to Ewart
Don't forget they were all gathered at Mar-a-Lago

Ewart 2020-05-12 16:29:37 

In reply to Chrissy

And them so barefaced about it!

//

TriniStar 2020-05-12 16:45:50 

In reply to Ewart

If it was successful you will still be hearing Trump and Pompeo taking responsibility for the so called achievement by the brave American men

JayMor 2020-05-12 17:04:02 

In reply to Ewart

Maas Ewie, one more time... after you click the Reply button...

i. Choose appropriate text for naming the link, e.g., Bay of Piglets.
ii. Highlight (or block) it then click the link icon (the one in the middle, right after I; a box saying "Enter Link URL" comes up.
iii. Copy the URL (the link text in the location box at top of the webpage you're linking), e.g.
https://apnews.com/28ccc2d2131e0c0ee0e8c7f5ab4cf922
iv. Paste it into the waiting pop-up box and hit OK.

Bay of Piglets.

Duncie BeatDeBall, you too, eh? big grin

--Æ.

Larr Pullo 2020-05-12 17:29:44 

Is Jaun Guaido's Presidency now untenable?

Ewart 2020-05-12 18:51:48 

In reply to Larr Pullo

More so now than ever!

rolleyes

//

Ewart 2020-05-12 18:52:31 

In reply to JayMor

Thx.

smile

//

carl0002 2020-05-12 19:07:22 

Its a pity they didn't bring Rudi with them.

Larr Pullo 2020-05-12 19:28:07 

In reply to Ewart

I don't understand why Maduro hasn't arrested him already.

carl0002 2020-05-12 20:27:23 

In reply to Larr Pullo
Wouldn't that play into some foreign power hand? Possibly UN on the ground. Not to mention possibly result in civil uprising and the people remove him. Remember Guaido is recognized internationally as the rightful president. Arrest him and real mercenaries show up for you and not the Maga Morons. lol lol

problemjay 2020-05-12 20:45:46 

In reply to carl0002

Guaido is recognized as Venezuela President by America and some of their allies. Not all countries Internationally. Not even Caricom states recognize him as President

hubert 2020-05-12 22:30:32 

In reply to problemjay

Is Russian presence still in Venezuela ?

Chrissy 2020-05-13 00:51:30 

More questions

"Congress needs answers, and we need them now," said Eliot Engel, a Democrat who heads the House Foreign Affairs Committee.

"We need to know if US laws were broken by American citizens and companies and whether any element of the US government was aware of what was taking place," he said on Twitter.

[b]Referring to the television spy, Engel said the raid sounded like "a bad Jack Ryan episode" and complained that the State Department had ignored his request for a briefing.
[/b]
President Nicolas Maduro, a leftist whom the United States has been seeking to oust for more than a year, last week announced the military had thwarted a beachfront invasion in which eight people allegedly died and showed the passports of two US citizens said to be arrested.

problemjay 2020-05-13 21:54:24 

In reply to hubert

Is Russian presence still in Venezuela ?

look at this Link Text

Casper 2020-05-13 22:23:44 

In reply to Ewart

And them so barefaced about it!

Aren’t they following Trump, who commits his crimes in public?

Ewart 2020-05-13 23:32:36 

In reply to Casper

razz razz lol

//

JohnBull 2020-05-16 13:50:53 

Read this

Ewart 2020-05-16 14:57:11 

In reply to JohnBull

Comprehensive. Thanks.

//

JayMor 2020-05-16 21:45:13 

In reply to JohnBull

Full story, replete with every appropriate hyperlink. Only thing missing for me is a tie-in to the navy ships in the area that T&T had complained about a week or so prior. Of course, I believe there's a tie-in.

--Æ.

Chrissy 2020-05-16 22:14:14 

In reply to JohnBull

Good read

Chrissy 2020-05-17 11:21:45 

More here

It’s unclear where Alcalá and Goudreau got their backing, and whatever money was collected for the initiative appears to have been meager. One person who allegedly promised support was Roen Kraft, an eccentric descendant of the cheese-making family who — along with former Trump bodyguard Schiller — was among those meeting with opposition envoys in Miami and Washington.

At some point, Kraft started raising money among his own circle of fellow trust-fund friends for what he described as a “private coup” to be carried out by Silvercorp, according to two businessmen whom he asked for money.

Kraft allegedly lured prospective donors with the promise of preferential access to negotiate deals in the energy and mining sectors with an eventual Guaidó government, said one of the businessmen. He provided AP a two-page, unsigned draft memorandum for a six-figure commitment he said was sent by Kraft in October in which he represents himself as the “prime contractor” of Venezuela.

But it was never clear if Kraft really had the inside track with the Venezuelans.

In a phone interview with AP, Kraft acknowledged meeting with Goudreau three times last year. But he said the two never did any business together and only discussed the delivery of humanitarian aid for Venezuela. He said Goudreau broke off all communications with him on Oct. 14, when it seemed he was intent on a military action.

“I never gave him any money,” said Kraft.

hubert 2020-05-17 13:25:20 

In reply to problemjay

Thanks. I doubt US will pursue actions against Venezuela as long as the Russians are there.