The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Skerritt expect CPL to punish Gayle for outburst

anthonyp 2020-05-13 00:42:23 

President of Cricket West Indies (CWI) Ricky Skerritt has strongly hinted that he expects to see action taken against veteran batsman Chris Gayle, following a recent public outburst, which mainly disparaged former teammate and Jamaica Tallawahs assistant coach Ramnaresh Sarwan.

Skerritt, who called the incident unfortunate, said CWI was keeping a close eye on the situation, but insisted that for now the prerogative of taking action would be in the hands of the CPL to which Gayle is contracted.

While insisting he expected the due process to run its course, Skerritt said he hoped the outburst would not lead to the cricketer’s career coming to a premature end.

"I hope it doesn't become a world matter in terms of the career of Mr. Gayle because it's been a very outstanding career and I really wouldn't want to see it being brought to an end by this event."

Link Text

Trex 2020-05-13 02:15:41 

In reply to anthonyp

Skerritt has nothing better to do with his time?

Mad dem Crampy mad dem

Dukes 2020-05-13 02:43:07 

In reply to Trex

I am sure you are very proud of your insightful post.

Kay 2020-05-13 03:26:09 

That is a reasonable expectation by Skerritt. I also expect the same ....

Blackbird 2020-05-13 10:12:57 

In reply to Kay
If RS was an ordinary commentator ..no problem, but as the head of CWI, do something and don't hide behind the CPL.

Drapsey 2020-05-13 10:52:06 

In reply to anthonyp

It's only fair that the same kind of punishment meted out to $ammy by the then WICB president for his outburst on the (cricket) world-cup stage, be meted out to Gayle for his more than ill-advised 'tirade' about his former teammate/coach, Sarwan, by the current WICB president.

XDFIX 2020-05-13 12:12:51 

In reply to Kay

I expect Gayle to be punished, if not, where will it end? What's next?

I banged player x's girlfriend on tour or player y slept with men on tour!

It's opening up a new type of #me too movement

With the freedom of expression comes responsibility!

Maispwi 2020-05-13 12:13:00 

Is he threatening de CPL people?

natty_forever 2020-05-13 12:14:37 

Seems the one mad is Mr. Gayle.

Dukes 2020-05-13 13:45:06 

In reply to Blackbird

Gayle has no contract with CWI so what do you expect CWI to do???

Dukes 2020-05-13 14:16:47 

In reply to Maispwi

Is he threatening de CPL people?

NO. He is just stating the obvious
You expect the CPL to do absolutely nothing wrt Gayle?

Remember the libel laws in the Anglophone Caribbean are based on British Law and Gayle and by extension the CPL are exposed here to a multi million dollar law suit which they will lose.
Now I have no expectation that Sarwan or anybody else will sue Gayle but I am just making a point.

I expect CPL to press Gayle to make an apology and then try to sweep it under the rug or fine him $10,000 USD which somebody else would pay.

Trex 2020-05-13 15:08:41 

In reply to Dukes

Remember the libel laws in the Anglophone Caribbean are based on British Law and Gayle and by extension the CPL are exposed here to a multi million dollar law suit which they will lose.
Now I have no expectation that Sarwan or anybody else will sue Gayle but I am just making a point.

rolleyes rolleyes

I sincerely hope that Sarwan isn't coming to you for legal advice. lol lol

Dukes 2020-05-13 15:19:36 

In reply to Trex

Thankfully he is not, but I hope that Gayle is getting his legal advice from you.
lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Halliwell 2020-05-13 15:40:30 

lol lol lol
Comeedee central!!!

Maispwi 2020-05-13 15:54:39 

In reply to Dukes

So Skerritt has already tried the case and given his verdict. Skerritt behaving like ur boy Trumpy

Dukes 2020-05-13 15:57:27 

In reply to Maispwi

What case?
Oh I see.
Maybe it was not Gayle who said those words.

Halliwell 2020-05-13 16:02:51 

In reply to Dukes

So then SARS needn’t sue.
He should just send the debt collectors lol

Trex 2020-05-13 16:34:12 

In reply to Dukes

What case?
Oh I see.
Maybe it was not Gayle who said those words.

Ok. Which words or statement would Sarwan sue over?

Ricky Skerritt has strongly hinted that he expects to see action taken against veteran batsman Chris Gayle

In fact Ricky Skerrit better watch what his says very wisely.

Dukes 2020-05-13 16:58:29 

In reply to Trex

In fact Ricky Skerrit better watch what his says very wisely.

When non-lawyers read your comments, many of them come to the conclusion that you are implying that Gayle said or did nothing wrong.I know that as a lawyer you would deny that but...........

Trex 2020-05-13 17:07:38 

In reply to Dukes

Stop dodging this question oldster.

Ok. Which words or statement would Sarwan sue over?

Dukes 2020-05-13 17:22:30 

In reply to Trex

I will ask a an eminent jurist that question and I know that were he to take the case against you, who would win.

Trex 2020-05-13 17:27:37 

In reply to Dukes

not if you were a witness..

Do I have to wait in vain for your answer?

hubert 2020-05-13 17:29:14 

In reply to Trex

I am no lawyer but it seems to me Gayle slandered the man,his character in the public domain.
I could be wrong but I know something must be done to put this matter to bed.It just
cannot go so.
Can he prove what he said about what Sarwan supposedly did. ?

Dukes 2020-05-13 17:30:45 

In reply to Trex

You want a non-lawyer to tell you what is the best legal strategy?

Meanwhile you running around implying that Gayle said and did nothing wrong.

HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Walco 2020-05-13 17:30:57 

In reply to Dukes

I know that as a lawyer you would deny that but...........

T-Rex is a lawyer???

Dukes 2020-05-13 17:33:33 

In reply to Walco

Apparently a good one too

Trex 2020-05-13 17:34:47 

In reply to Dukes

You want a non-lawyer to tell you what is the best legal strategy?

HHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

You would make a really wutless witness.... at least when confronted you are honest and cannot lie or make up information. That is the one little brownie point you can take home. lol

Dukes 2020-05-13 17:36:36 

In reply to Trex

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Trex 2020-05-13 17:38:00 

In reply to Walco

T-Rex is a lawyer???

sometimes.. wink

Dukes 2020-05-13 17:42:55 

In reply to Walco

No good lawyer would respond to such a statement.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Trex 2020-05-13 18:25:29 

In reply to Dukes

I disagree with him going public about his personal issues with Sarwan.

Dukes 2020-05-13 18:31:27 

In reply to Trex

Yuh not talking like a lawyer bro.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Trex 2020-05-13 18:40:18 

In reply to Dukes

Never knew I had to walk like a lawyer on cc.com. lol

Dukes 2020-05-13 19:35:56 

In reply to Trex

The quicker this matter is resolved, (either by a Gayle apology or a small fine) the better, but it can not be left as is.

Trex 2020-05-13 19:47:00 

In reply to Dukes

Maybe it is Sarwan who needs to issue the apology. lol

Drapsey 2020-05-13 19:52:05 

In reply to Dukes

The quicker this matter is resolved, (either by a Gayle apology or a small fine) the better, but it can not be left as is.

No apology forthcoming from Gayle. He is poised to cite the fact that Bravo never apologized for calling (actually, naming) the then president of the WICB, Dave Cameron, the Big IDIOT.

Dukes 2020-05-13 19:59:55 

In reply to Drapsey

I take it that Bravo was not punished.

Drapsey 2020-05-13 23:06:34 

In reply to Dukes

I take it that Bravo was not punished.

His punishment, if any, was self imposed.

Ewart 2020-05-13 23:31:23 

At base, slander or libel is a matter of reputation.

If sued, the question will be: Has Gayle besmirched Sarwan's reputation?

//

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-05-13 23:38:04 

In reply to Ewart

He most certainly has

Walco 2020-05-14 01:18:03 

In reply to Dukes

But those Gayle videos are full of potentially defamatory statements about Sarwan. Two potentially actionable statements that come to mind are the one where Sarwan was accused of saying that there were too many Jamaicans on the Tallawahs, and the second one would be the claim that Sarwan got Gayle sent home from the under-19 team. Not to mention the claim that Sarwan orchestrated a campaign of disrespect towards Gayle by the foreign players on the Tallawahs. Recall that those statements were made in furtherance of claims that Sarwan is a snake and is worse than the coronavirus. Each of those statements, if false, is actionable.

Trex 2020-05-14 05:38:35 

In reply to Walco

But those Gayle videos are full of potentially defamatory statements about Sarwan. Two potentially actionable statements that come to mind are the one where Sarwan was accused of saying that there were too many Jamaicans on the Tallawahs, and the second one would be the claim that Sarwan got Gayle sent home from the under-19 team. Not to mention the claim that Sarwan orchestrated a campaign of disrespect towards Gayle by the foreign players on the Tallawahs. Recall that those statements were made in furtherance of claims that Sarwan is a snake and is worse than the coronavirus. Each of those statements, if false, is actionable.

And what happens if those statements turn out to be the truth? lol lol

Walco 2020-05-14 07:53:04 

In reply to Trex
Perhaps you have material nonpublic information regarding the truth or falsity of those statements. Feel free to share it with us

Onionman0 2020-05-14 09:42:44 

In a private league .....Gayle rightly or wrongly accuses Sarwan....it's prerogative of private league to issue statement or sanction a player according to its rules and regulations....Mr.President statement shows that he wants some kind of action in the instant case although entire fiasco is beyond his jurisdiction...If any player criticise Mr.President, as in the past has happened then what ..... players beware..The more the Presidents changes the more they remain the same....

Dukes 2020-05-14 11:25:05 

In reply to Onionman0

Gayle's comments impacts negatively on West Indies cricket.Some (including me) think that he has brought West Indies cricket into disrepute.I,rather think that the President of CWI sees his organization as a steward of West Indies cricket.
The CPL has a symbiotic relationship with CWI and can not exist without the blessing and cooperation of CWI.
Now if you disagree with any of those statements feel free to tell us why.However if you agree, then CWI has more than a passing interest that CPL does something about this situation.

Dukes 2020-05-14 13:07:53 

In reply to Walco

Sarwan was accused of saying that there were too many Jamaicans on the Tallawahs

If false this was the most egregious and clearly designed to make Sarwan's job as Assistant Coach to the Tallawahs untenable. by making both the players as well as the Jamaican public turn against Ronnie.
Would Gayle repeat all he said UNDER OATH?????

Trex 2020-05-14 13:56:41 

In reply to Dukes

Gayle's comments impacts negatively on West Indies cricket.Some (including me) think that he has brought West Indies cricket into disrepute

Untwist your panties. This is just a personal feud between two players.

What impacts negatively on West Indies Cricket is that Guyanese politics interfered with the selection process of a franchise team in Jamaica. now that is where CWI should be more worried about.

imusic 2020-05-14 16:22:32 

In reply to Walco

T-Rex is a lawyer?

He went to law school

Larr Pullo 2020-05-14 16:26:36 

Punished? like a recalcitrant child?

Larr Pullo 2020-05-14 16:27:45 

In reply to Dukes

Gayle's comments impacts negatively on West Indies cricket.

CPL money laundering league has nothing to do with "West Indies" cricket, as it were.

Dukes 2020-05-14 16:35:01 

In reply to Trex

This is just a personal feud between two players.

That is a very TRUMPIAN STATEMENT.I am 100% sure that you would not sign your real name to such a statement.

What impacts negatively on West Indies Cricket is that Guyanese politics interfered with the selection process of a franchise team in Jamaica. now that is where CWI should be more worried about.

Ordinarily I would have thought that maybe you have some evidence for making this statement but your track record on this thread suggests that I should ask you for some evidence before accepting what you said as having significant truth to it.

Trex 2020-05-14 16:41:26 

In reply to Dukes

Oldster...an attack on R.Sarwan is not akin to an attack on West Indies Cricket.

Dukes 2020-05-14 16:57:19 

In reply to Trex

One former West Indies captain accusing another former West Indies captain of cricketing crimes is described as a personal feud between two players and not reflecting badly on West Indies cricket? R U serious???
An England captain behaving in an uncouth manner reflects badly on English cricket and results in his removal from the captaincy.
Why am I explaining this, since you already know that.U R just putting up nonsense to get a discussion going.

camos 2020-05-14 17:08:56 

In reply to Dukes

Gayle's comments impacts negatively on West Indies cricket.Some (including me) think that he has brought West Indies cricket into disrepute.I,rather think that the President of CWI sees his organization as a steward of West Indies cricket.
The CPL has a symbiotic relationship with CWI and can not exist without the blessing and cooperation of CWI.

CWI needs to erect a firewall between itself and CPL; will they pay unpaid CPL liabilities if CPL fails to do so?

Dukes 2020-05-14 17:37:07 

In reply to camos

I do not know of what you speak.Kindly explain please.

Dukes 2020-05-14 17:47:29 

In reply to Trex

Here is a COMMON SENSE QUESTION.

Do you believe that Sarwan told Gayle that the Tallawahs have too many Jamaicans in it?

Then Gayle goes on to say that he responded by saying but the TKR has a lot of Trinidadians.I suggest that Gayle would have not have responded like that.Gayle would have blown his top!!!!
It is UNIMAGINABLE that Sarwan would tell Gayle that and equally UNIMAGINABLE that Gayle would merely respond the way he claims he did.
It seems to me to be a TOTAL FABRICATION designed to make Ronnie quit as Assistant Coach of the Tallawahs as the whole of Jamaica would be against him.

Onionman0 2020-05-15 08:08:22 

In reply to Dukes

Bro I fully agree with all the arguments you put forth....but I think you missed my point....these unruly behaviours and rants by these players has been the bane of windies cricket for last two decades.... Many Presidents tried in their own ways to control or eradicate it.... failed...all including many in this board argued that board should sort out differences and disputes between players across the table....these self centred players should have been censored once and for all long back...

Trex 2020-05-15 11:26:35 

In reply to Onionman0

.these self centred players should have been censored once and for all long back...

These players should just shut up and play...and be happy for their money.
rolleyes rolleyes

No need to ask where you stand on the Colin Kapaernick issue.

Dukes just vex that Crampy call out his homeboy. Maybe Dukes should instead have a talk with his homeboy and let him know he should not stab persons in the back like that.

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-05-15 12:40:10 

In reply to Trex

Dishonest!! Kapaernick's stance was not about money...indeed he lost money by taking this stance. He was a much more noble cause. A cause beyond himself and money.
No comparison.

Ewart 2020-05-15 12:52:35 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

So Skerritt's threat of sanctions (no mention of investigation or disciplinary committee, by the way) doesn't speak to loss of income?

rolleyes

//

Dukes 2020-05-15 12:59:25 

In reply to Trex

Crampy is a Colin Kapaernick clone now. If a laugh a poop!!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Maybe he should be elevated to National Hero,the Marcus Garvey of our time

Ah who dem come fuh see!!!!!!!!

Dukes 2020-05-15 13:02:55 

In reply to Ewart

While insisting he expected the due process to run its course, Skerritt said he hoped the outburst would not lead to the cricketer’s career coming to a premature end.

Doesn't the bolded part suggest otherwise?

Ewart 2020-05-15 13:29:25 

In reply to Dukes

As leader he should say he has ordered the process to begin.

//

Dukes 2020-05-15 13:35:11 

In reply to Ewart

It is not CWI that would be engaged but the CPL and Skerritt is not a part of CPL.

jacksprat 2020-05-15 14:17:15 

On the matter of punishment for intemperate speech by West Indies cricket personalities...

I am curious: Did the WICB/CWI ever "punish" Ernest Hillaire, their erstwhile CEO, for publicly insulting a Caribbean Prime Minister; or "Sir" Hillary Beckles, their then board member, for slandering Christopher Gayle and Marlon Samuels?

Asking for a friend......

FuzzyWuzzy 2020-05-15 14:37:20 

The enablers are out in force dr. Dukes big grin

tc1 2020-05-15 14:41:10 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

Correction, the yardies are out in force,circling the wagon.

Dukes 2020-05-15 18:09:57 

In reply to tc1

Not true.Many yardies are disgusted with the behavior.Do not stereotype my peeps.
Trex just bantering with me,testing my analytic skills.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Trex 2020-05-15 18:58:02 

In reply to Dukes

Trex just bantering with me,testing my analytic skills.

no need.

tested and proven many times already....

I am just having fun and I know Sarwan is your bredren.

lol lol lol

Dukes 2020-05-15 19:46:51 

In reply to Trex

Ah hope ah pass!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

imusic 2020-05-15 19:56:37 

If a public sporting personality publicly calls out another public sporting personality as a snake in an uncomplimentary manner.....that alone is grounds for a defamation lawsuit cool

camos 2020-05-15 22:14:47 

In reply to imusic

like the big idiot thing?

Maispwi 2020-05-16 10:22:34 

In reply to camos

like the big idiot thing?

Oh $hite

Verstehen 2020-05-16 10:49:43 

Skerritt expect CPL to punish Gayle for outburst

Link Text

The scholarly Skerritt laboured hard to compose his masterpiece “Great Expectations”.

Gayle dashes off a short poem:

If a laugh/ a poop

Incidentally that could also be the first line of a haiku.