The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Team to tour England

Dukes 2020-05-14 12:05:11 

Make no mistake I am at war with myself. 40 + years of my line of work is clashing with the WI cricket fanatic.This is a RUM SHOP and this is the latter speaking.
When I picked my team it had 16 members, but on a short tour like this one it is usually 15.One of the things I would insist is that our boys get appropriate preparation with 3 first class matches against decent sides.Instead we will probably get 1 match with everybody batting and everybody bowling or some such nonsense.Alternatively a match against a weak sub standard team
anyway here goes

Brathwaite,Campbell and Hope= OPENERS
Hetmyer,Pooran,Brooks,Chase and Bravo=BATSMEN
Dowrich-WICKETKEEPER
Jason Holder,Chemar Holder,Roach,Joseph and Paul=FAST BOWLERS
Cornwall and Walsh= SLOW BOWLERS

I doubt that Campbell would be successful but he deserves his chance. Bravo is too good a player to leave home though it is rough on young Myers.
Cornwall does not turn the ball much but how do you leave out a man who took a bunch of wickets even though it was Afghanistan.The same sentiment applies to Brooks.
Some might say Paul is lucky to be in the side but this youth should not be underestimated simply because he is not express pace.
Chemar Holder played a huge role in Barbados winning the competition and could cause some problems for the English batting line up.
England is notoriously weak against right arm leg spinners so Walsh has his chance.
Some people feel that with both Pooran and Hope in the squad that Dowrich is not needed but the guy scored a century against England last year and is competent behind the stumps.

sudden 2020-05-14 12:28:36 

In reply to Dukes

even if this tour goes on and even if the players you mentioned are being considered far less selected, did Pooran or Walsh play in the 4day tournament?

Dukes 2020-05-14 12:47:29 

In reply to sudden

Typical lawyer.Only ask questions that you already know the answer to..
I have said AD NAUSEAM that CWI should never have had that tour to Sri Lanka earlier this year and should have made all the players play in the Domestic 4 day competition.However like a lonely voice crying in the wilderness all and sundry ignored me.Everything in life has consequences, so now we reap what we have sewn.Pick your poison and only select who have played first class cricket and leave one of your best batsmen at home..

Penny wise pound foolish.

dayne 2020-05-14 13:22:49 

If the Selectors select a second spinner for England, it would most likely be Warrican or Permaul. Walsh is too inconsistent for the longer version of cricket. However a better bet might be carrying the extra fast bowler.

Trex 2020-05-14 14:00:20 

Test tour to England should be postponed or cancelled. UK is one of the countries worst hit by Covid.

Larr Pullo 2020-05-14 14:38:33 

In reply to Trex

Dukes like he want to kill poor Hety.

Seechy 2020-05-14 15:02:38 

In reply to Dukes

Nice. I would go with:

Openers - K. Brathwaite, J. Campbell
Batsmen - S. Hope, D. Bravo, S. Hetmyer, N. Pooran, S. Brooks
Allrounders - R. Chase, J. Holder, R. Cornwall
Wicket keepers - S. Dowrich
Bowlers - K. Roach, S. Gabriel, A. Joseph, K. Paul, V. Permaul

Halliwell 2020-05-14 15:08:34 

Apparently they are looking for British Based players

I will ask Pondie if he interested in throwing down some of his dibbly dobblers smile

sgtdjones 2020-05-14 15:20:11 

In reply to Halliwell

So pondie playing for CWI?

lol lol

imusic 2020-05-14 16:35:48 

In reply to Halliwell

Apparently they are looking for British Based players

That explains kraigg brathwaite’s and brooks’ selection

Thanks cool

allan 2020-05-14 16:58:16 

In reply to Dukes

And Gabriel? Is he fit?
You need another experience bowler

allan 2020-05-14 16:59:08 

In reply to Seechy

Permaul hehe jmgoing england to carry water

Dukes 2020-05-14 17:13:13 

In reply to allan

Gabriel is not in my team.

camos 2020-05-14 17:15:38 

all you guys care about is cricket not the players, no wonder our guys are reduced to mercenaries it fits the environment!

pooranian 2020-05-14 17:24:33 

Leaving aside covid crisis...This to me is the most talented England touring windies side since with Walsh and ambrose were in tge squad. Plus no over the hill players..players who can perform for min of another 5 years in this squad..Pluse 3 wicket keepers ..wowww

Dukes 2020-05-14 17:30:19 

In reply to camos

This is an academic exercise..In reality I am vigorously opposed to any tour but as a cricket fanatic, one can muse from the comfort of one's home.I thought my opening statement made that clear but just in case it did not.

I AM 100% OPPOSED TO THE WI TEAM TOURING ENGLAND THIS SUMMER.

If there is any serious move to make this tour happen rest assured you will hear from me.I will find a quote from one of my previous posts later.

jacksprat 2020-05-14 17:41:12 

In reply to Dukes

Am I to assume that even an academic exercise one Jermaine Blackwood cant get in your squad?

What's the point of a successful season?

Pooran, for example, has expressed no interest in playing any cricket that lasts more than 50 over!

Dukes 2020-05-14 17:55:26 

In reply to jacksprat

Pooran, for example, has expressed no interest in playing any cricket that lasts more than 50 over!

I was unaware of that.Can you post the link where he expressed that sentiment.

WICFan 2020-05-14 19:22:59 

Given what's going on in the World, to have any tour going on I would think ODI's would be more the right answer. Playing 5 ODI's in front of nobody is better than 2 or 3 tests.

Brathwaite
Campbell
Brooks
Bravo
Hope
Chase
Dowrich
Holder
Warrican
Joseph
Roach
---
Blackwood
Paul
Holder
Hetmyer/Ambris
Cornwall/Mayers

openning 2020-05-14 19:44:13 

In reply to Dukes
After listening to the COS on the Mason and Guest show, I cannot see, both Chase and Cornwall on the team.
COS said, Off spinners don't do well in England.

CITYBOY 2020-05-14 20:21:28 

Hola....no cricket happening this year...social distancing has not been worked out for cricket as we know it..
wicketkeepers will have to stand back...slip fielders have to scatter..no fie;ding close to square leg umpire...bowlers cannot run past ruling umpire..thus bowlers have to shorten run up as ump stands back..
batsman have to run opposite sides of wicket...no chatting...cricketers will have to wear mask and zip mouths as they like to spit a lot..
So dont waste time on picking team and get into a distress...cricket protocol will take months to complete,tried out and then implemented..
this MB running amok with too many Americans and small islanders.....i guess its the lock down...
go watch grass grow in you yard..and count the blades..
Adios
CB

natty_forever 2020-05-14 20:49:29 

In reply to CITYBOY

Wearing masks solve the run up and field placings.

Dukes 2020-05-14 21:02:43 

In reply to openning

COS said, Off spinners don't do well in England.

1.Lance Gibbs played 16 test matches in England and took 62 wickets at 26 including 5 five wicket in an innings hauls and his only 2 ten wicket match hauls.

2.A guy named Roger Harper not only took his only 5 wicket in an innings haul in England but took 18 wickets at 18.83 apiece much better than his overall test record!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sudden 2020-05-14 23:16:40 

In reply to Dukes

who is the chairman of selectors?

Dukes 2020-05-14 23:45:38 

In reply to sudden

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Dukes 2020-05-14 23:47:05 

In reply to sudden

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR KNOWLEDGE!!!!!!!!

openning 2020-05-15 00:14:23 

In reply to Dukes

To be correct, he said "Unless it is a dry summer, it is not a place, where you would take a lot of spinners.
My apology to Roger.
Mason and guest Podcast, Roger segment starts at 44:30

Dukes 2020-05-15 02:03:12 

In reply to jacksprat

Well it seems that you are correct in that Pooran is not in the 30 player squad..In that case I would concede Jermaine Blackwood takes that place.

spider 2020-05-15 03:00:32 

Campbell
Brathwaite
Brooks
Bravo
Hope
Blackwood
Chase
Hetmyer
Dowrich
Bonner
Holder
Cornwall
Roach
Holder C
Joseph
Gabriel

Barry 2020-05-15 05:58:12 

What old shit would be talking about Roger “fail to conquer” Harper? This is not Guyana; it is the West Indies...