The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

There must be a reason why...

Courtesy 2020-05-16 12:28:25 

...some persons here refuse to condemn the farce which passes for democracy in Guyana. And please, don't pivot to a blister with your 'tit for tat' excuses, weasel words and obsfuscation in your attempt to square unsquarable circles.

The moral disgust thrown in the direction of some posters' here for their tacit collaboration with APNU/AFC's pasquinade should never fade. What's happening in Guyana now is beyond ridiculous. As a citizen who lives in the Caricom community, I am appalled and ashamed at these political developments and blatant machinations by APNU/AFC.

Those 'head in the sand' posters have simply gone with their tribe on this issue and have thrown away any modicum of moral decency.

Discourtesy emphasizes, that a proper democracy is one that has regard for all minorities...full stop. I am passionate about such issues.

As far as I am concerned, one man or woman who defends democracy makes the majority. And Discourtesy's voice would have been equally strident if the two main parties roles and fortunes were reversed.

We must spit on those posters who support the current tenacity of the ruling cabal in Guyana to hold on to political power at all costs as politely, kindly and as honestly as we can.

Discourtesy now drops the first spit.

twisted twisted twisted

sudden 2020-05-16 12:35:46 

In reply to Courtesy
non semper ea sunt quae videntur

Courtesy 2020-05-16 12:37:28 

In reply to sudden

Tiefing by any other name is tiefing.

Runs 2020-05-16 12:46:12 

In reply to Courtesy

I must say I respect your clear thinking and willingness to call a spade a spade, it says that you are an individual of high ethical and moral standards. Nuff respect bro. cool

If Guyana descends or rather retuns to dictatorship as all signs are showing, all her citizens will be the losers and the wider Caribbean.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 12:48:20 

In reply to Runs

Thnks Runs. I have been sidelined all my years in politics for calling a spade a spade. This only serves to motivate me.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 12:51:28 

In reply to Runs

...If Guyana descends or rather retuns to dictatorship as all signs are showing, all her citizens will be the losers and the wider Caribbean.

Bro, I can forsee disaster on the horizon in Guyana whichever direction this calamity goes. Both camps have made sure that their supporters are fully charged.

Runs 2020-05-16 12:51:36 

In reply to Courtesy

There are more good people than vagabonds in this world, this power grab is all about greed and it is not ethnic marginalization as being used as an excuse as a lot of Indians are in on this also. To remain silent is to give it tacit approval.

Runs 2020-05-16 12:53:05 

In reply to Courtesy

Am afraid the country is headed down into a deep bottomless pit, as Rowley says it will not end well, saner heads are not coming to the fore as you can see.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 12:53:59 

In reply to Runs
A return to democracy in Guyana is not going to be easy but it is an organic necessity.

Runs 2020-05-16 12:56:51 

In reply to Courtesy

Jimmy Carter did such and today he has been tossed aside as those who felt he did harm to their “power” no longer needs, clearly the plan is to return the country to dictatorship. Will other nations allow and Caricom in particular stand idly by is the question.

Guyana needs lots of help it can clearly be seen that by itself it is not capable of good, honest governance.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 13:00:51 

In reply to Runs

Jimmy Carter did such and today he has been tossed aside as those who felt he did harm to their “power” has done, clearly the plan is to return the country to dictatorship. Will other nations allow and Caricom in particular stand idly by is the question.

The Carter Foundation has been denied observer status with the excuse that "the Caricom team is competent and sufficient enough."

Can you believe this?

Runs 2020-05-16 13:02:26 

In reply to Courtesy

Why would anyone who claimed they won the elections not want as many observers as possible to declare it credible and transparent? It boggles the mind and mental faculties.

I follow on SM and everday I see the coalition party members go before the press and give obtuse excuses and explanations not grounded in facts and make fools of themselves. What passes as media in Guyana is also woefully substandard as the journalists seems partisan and extremely shoddy with their preparations and line of questions with no tough follow ups.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 13:04:43 

In reply to Runs
Just like some posters here remaining mute on this matter...I am sure there are reasons.

It's convenient to abhor and trash Trump but to put blinkers on for something which is seemingly more atrocious and blatant happening in our own backyard.

Runs 2020-05-16 13:06:53 

In reply to Courtesy

Sad

Dan_De_Lyan 2020-05-16 13:54:08 

In reply to Courtesy

They are mute but that is a good thing. Like they are moderating this site with no democratic dispense
Asking for their opinion on the subject is like asking a pedo their opinion on child development

Silence from them is a golden arrow

black 2020-05-16 13:59:02 

In reply to Courtesy

Why don't you stop being so cowardly and
say who you are referring to?

Courtesy 2020-05-16 14:09:50 

In reply to black

I'll start with black...albeit, his voice nor opinion is important on this matter. How about that?

Curtis 2020-05-16 17:44:26 

In reply to Courtesy

Black is working on his new topic:

"People who refuse to condemn corruption when it happens in their own backyard but attack vociferously when it happens elsewhere ".

Courtesy 2020-05-16 18:10:34 

In reply to Curtis

lol lol lol

I doubt black has that ability to contruct a semi-intelligent thread. Perhaps the security guard will surprise one day.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 18:16:27 

Now the APNU/AFC is arguing that there is no provision in Guyana law for a national recount suggesting in my view, that the current recount supervised by Caicom is unconstitutional.

I tort GECOM regulates its own procedures under the Elections Act.

What a ting.

Runs 2020-05-16 18:27:22 

In reply to Courtesy

The aim is to tie it up with frivolous lawsuits as they did with the NCM to extend their time in office.
It does not seem as if they have a Big Brother figure to tell them to cut the nonsense out, the courts even the CCJ have all made vague rulings which were subject to interpretation with potential loopholes which they look for and exploit.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 18:40:47 

In reply to Runs

This is a circus which should be brought to a swift end.

It appears from my vantage point that the current recount will not be acceptable to APNU/AFC if it goes against them.

The PPP should be strategizing differently.

BeatDball 2020-05-16 18:55:16 

In reply to Curtis

big grin

Runs 2020-05-16 19:07:49 

In reply to Courtesy

Correct, the Covid task force which has been directing Gecom and making decisions as per Observers etc is made up of top level Apnu ministers, talk about a blatant conflict of interest. It seems to me as if the opposition is powerless to do anything, the country is a joke.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 19:21:45 

In reply to Runs

The PPP should view the process as progressing in the following manner imho:

* APNU/AFC commissioners on GECOM will advocate that the recount does not conform to Guyana's electoral laws (they have hinted that much) and the only course of action is accepting the final decelaration.

* At this time the final decision rests with the Chairperson of GECOM who holds the deciding vote.

* It is very possible that this decision will go against PPP and Granger will be sworn in as President and the refrain from APNU/AFC will then be if the PPP is aggreived by the situation then take it to the Elections Tribunal.

Runs 2020-05-16 19:30:25 

In reply to Courtesy

That is what they have always said, however if the Chairwoman knowingly and with clear evidence supports a fraudulent declaration that may also open her up to legal liability. Do not forget she has a contempt of court charge against her and agreed to conduct this recount as the RO did not do his declaration as per Gecom’s processes, which is the using of the SOP’s. Why she allowed the declaration to be held in abeyance is a mystery to me, she is a former judge.

If she goes with what the AG just said contempt of court charges and fraud will be filed against Gecom and also the coalition immediately, the country may then descend into anarchy and perhaps the UN may finally need to become involved.

Courtesy 2020-05-16 19:43:18 

In reply to Runs

I think you have left out a very important part of the equation...but I hesitae to move in that direction and I wouldn't want you to speculate.

Anyway, this farce has been dragging on for too long.

Runs 2020-05-16 20:07:25 

Revisiting the non acceptance of the Carter Center and the laws of Guyana.

So crucial is the work of the Carter Center that the Act further states that “everyone who ….obstructs or interferes with him in the performance of his functions or the exercise of his rights under this Act shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine of fifteen thousand dollars and imprisonment for eighteen months.

Curtis 2020-05-16 20:21:31 

Could it be? Some APNU ministers have set up offshore interests to capitalize on the oil business, hence the current reluctance to just let the opportunity go easily.

Runs 2020-05-16 20:36:24 

In reply to Curtis

Ow man, yuh gafo ask what has been so blatant? Of course bro lol
Google is your friend you can identify the individuals, it is public knowledge.

Curtis 2020-05-16 23:29:39 

In reply to Runs

Tell me what to Google. I only found out Joe Harmon was in GDF.

Runs 2020-05-16 23:58:10 

In reply to Curtis

Chk GY Gazette etc lots of posts out there man, do some research.

Runs 2020-05-17 13:44:24 

Dishonesty is not the best policy.

Link Text

Courtesy 2020-05-17 14:16:55 

In reply to Runs

It looks like it is going to get worse before it gets better. The ruling cabal has no other interest but to continue to govern.

This is all unfolding before the eyes of the world. Do these guys seriously believe that they can govern in a scenario like this? But then again they are not concerned about this.

The will of the majority must not be thwarted.

DirtyDan 2020-05-17 21:00:27 

In reply to Courtesy

It is setting the stage for decades of future distrust in Guyana. As it is plain for all to see, massive attempts to steal an election. But guess what? Followers of APNU/PNC and now AFC, have the Covid masks conveniently over their eyes. Guyanese older than 50 are very familiar with the bullyism tactics of the PNC, Burnham was 'winning' majorities in race-based elections. This election brings back those memories. Nowadays, PNC folks are rewriting history, saying Burnham was a great leader, completely omitting the very serious acts of corruption and assassination that he committed.

That all said, in a multi-racial political climate, this will only serve to drive a fresh new wedge between the parties, and possibly the races, if this plays out the way it is shaping up.

There needs to be across the board condemnation of the fcukeries. Now, on this board of educated professionals etc. the silence is deafening.

It could well be they have regressed to their childhood mindset of Guyanese yesteryear politics and it hurts them to condemn the actions, after they condemned the PPP Civic for their fcukeries over 23 years.

Who knows?

But, the prominent characters on here, have over time, like Donald Trump who they despise, have shown their true character over the years, so there should be no surprise by the behaviour they exhibit.

Courtesy 2020-05-17 21:15:20 

In reply to DirtyDan

Thanks...the amount of activism in Guyana and outside is virtually non-existent and in such a scenario politicions
have more than enough playing space to exhibit their skills.

Runs 2020-05-18 09:39:55 

Today, May 18, 2020 Stabroek News Editorial.

Link Text

Courtesy 2020-05-18 11:26:31 

In reply to Runs

What does it say about a group of individuals who know in the their heart of hearts that they have lost an election but continue to put the country through anxiety and pain?

Runs 2020-05-18 12:00:48 

In reply to Courtesy

Many inside and out refuses to speak up, so called “good men” stay quiet. wink

If the authentic results are ever declared and the legitimate winner sworn in I s’pose they will slowly come out and toss “words” out there for reasons. You well know the popular saying about “words” .

I share a post from a well known young Afro Guyanese intellectual.

I will repeat - I don't mind the indecency. That is par for the course of Guyanese politics. I don't even mind the hypocrisy behind the transparent masks of decency and integrity - also par for the course as well. What irks me to my fucking core however, is the arrogance and impunity with which people are going about trying to insult our collective intelligence.

Yes, there are the educated contortionists and the ignorant tribalists for whom the bar of plausibility remains either low or elastic. But there is a quantum of people, like myself, who are watching this macabre and frankly senile performance with incredulity and cannot figure out any other endgame other than to tell us you believe we are skunts and you don't care that we are not buying your bullshit.

That level of delusion is becoming less laughable and increasingly more baleful as time progresses.

Courtesy 2020-05-18 12:17:14 

In reply to Runs

This looks and sounds very much like what the "most hated" afro poster here would enunciate.

big grin

Runs 2020-05-18 12:38:00 

In reply to Courtesy

I do not think he posts on here but I do know many peruse this MB from all over. wink
Very smart and potential future leader.
Actually should be considered for the future govt. in my opinion as I stated in another thread, the good that came out of this political impasse is the exposure of many bright young Guyanese who will be the future leaders. Once these old turtles do not poison their young minds with the past nonsense, it is time for Guyana to shrug that monkey off it’s back and move on to a bright future.

YoungWarrior 2020-05-18 13:16:32 

In reply to Runs

I read that post on FB, this guy is from TCI...I agree with your sentiments about him big grin

steveo 2020-05-18 13:40:56 

In reply to Runs

Actually should be considered for the future govt.

He will not be considered for either govt, he lashes EVERYBODY like Freddy Kissoon.

This guy was on Frank Anthony case with accusations of nepotism under the Ramoutar presidency.

The great thing is, he does not need to be in govt, he does quite well and he serves a role much like Freddy Kissoon, of keeping ANY govt honest.