The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Dukes - you would luv this -De Baron

sudden 2020-05-18 17:42:59 

Link Text

note the narrator

Dukes 2020-05-18 17:50:00 

In reply to sudden

I saw that years ago.Come to think of it,I probably looked at it at least 10 times.

What astonished me more about my hero is the fact that to a man all the players of his generation and indeed of the next who actually saw him play cricket unanimously think he is the best.Only the current generation who are wedded to plain statistics compare Kallis to him.As a matter of fact looking at statistics critically shows that Sobers is better.

sudden 2020-05-18 17:58:15 

In reply to Dukes

beautifully narrated and critiqued by the Don

Dukes 2020-05-18 18:06:53 

In reply to sudden

Indeed!!!!

sudden 2020-05-18 18:09:32 

In reply to Dukes

Massey's action looks herky jerky especially in slow motion

openning 2020-05-18 18:22:07 

The man had so much balance, and transferring of weight.
Love the cut shot, where he seem to want to drive, and switch to his back foot.
Just super.

tc1 2020-05-18 21:55:05 

In reply to sudden

I did not know you were a connoisseur of batting?Did Powen score his first 50 against you.
lol
I will watch the Barron later to night, thanks for sharing this clip.

sudden 2020-05-18 22:37:57 

In reply to tc1

I got nuff liks put pun me. I have to admire good batting.

That video and how the Don describes and went over De Baron ‘s stroke play should be required viewing for WI batsmen especially left handlers. That is why I hailed up Dukes but he int reading between the lines. At least not yet big grin

tc1 2020-05-18 22:53:50 

In reply to sudden

Duke knows stats, he doesn’t know anything about batting. lol

Dukes 2020-05-18 23:18:21 

In reply to sudden

That is why I hailed up Dukes but he int reading between the lines. At least no yet big grin

CWI is not interested in getting our team ready to play test cricket.CWI's main concern is raising money.

Dukes thinks that you have to do both simultaneously.

If you do not improve your test standards, then England, Australia and India would not want you to tour their countries because the matches end in 3 days and are not exciting to watch..

In order to improve your test team, you have to improve your first class competition and in order to do that you have to have your best players involved in the first class competition.

However if your best players are off all around the world, playing meaningless ODI and T 20 cricket instead of perfecting their skills in the local first class competition HOW THE HELL ARE YOU GOING TO IMPROVE YOUR TEST PERFORMANCES!!!!!!!

Innovative marketing strategies along with working with Ministries of Education and Ministries of Sport around the Caribbean and CWI to stop TEEFING DE LIL MONEY dem got and we could tuen this baby around.It requires bold, smart leadership with people of superior intellect and moral certitude.Such talent is available in the Caribbean but alas all the cricket boards are full of teefing opportunists who bribe and slime their way into positions of power in our cricket.

Oh well...............

Allyuh doan get me started.

sudden 2020-05-18 23:53:48 

In reply to Dukes

That is what I would call a non responsive reply- you answered a query which I never proffered

Dukes 2020-05-19 01:04:11 

In reply to sudden

You want me to tell Hetty to watch how Sobers used to bat?
What is Phil Simmons et al being paid for??
If Hety aint listening to them how likely is it for him to listen to me.
Maybe he would listen to the Universe Boss who always says: LISSEN MIH,LISSEN MIH

HHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

sudden 2020-05-19 01:07:44 

In reply to Dukes

Do a soft sell. Get Phil to show the batsmen that video as part of reviewing old WI stars day big grin

openning 2020-05-19 01:52:22 

In reply to Dukes

In order to improve your test team, you have to improve your first class competition and in order to do that you have to have your best players involved in the first class competition.

The Desmond Haynes saga, should be studied.
Someone new that if our professionals, are not playing locally and regionally, the product would suffer.
Cricket is a professional sport, moving from the U19 level, a player should in a club, that is similar to a Regional team, with a group of pros in it.
When the Leewards was strong, Antigua had pros playing in the leeward and Regional tournament, not the same any more.
We are allowing our good U19 players, to become average players, putting them into local clubs, with all amateur.
It is like the blind, leading the blind.

Dukes 2020-05-19 03:24:37 

In reply to openning

People do not like to hear about how it used to be but I remember people like Basil Butcher and Roy Fredericks playing in the local Case Cup competition.In Barbados you had the same thing.I mentioned Joey Carew playing for Queen's Park and making a double century and being picked for the 5th test vs India ahead of Freddo.
Bottom line both the local cricket competitions as well as the regional first class competition had top players in them.Now every Tom,Dick,Lendl and Pooran playing T 10 in Timbuktu for a few dollars more.

openning 2020-05-19 03:56:35 

In reply to Dukes
Are you aware that the Hope brothers, Nurse and Dowrich are playing in the second tier of the BCA level.
Kemar don't have a county or T20 contract, yet the only cricket he plays when home, is regional cricket.