The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Why do people vote against their own interest

HumbleCalf 2020-05-21 20:09:31 

I have seen this in JA and in the US. One political party supports the rich and implements policies that are detrimental to the broader population, but still people vote for the party that does not help them.

The Republicans are not for helping the poorer people and most Americans fall in this category (poorer). You would think that poor people especially, would value healthcare so much that any attempt to take it away would be a non starter. You would think that poor people would see that giving the rich billions to create a lot of minimum wage jobs is not in their interest, but they don't see it that way.

It is most interesting. Has anyone not asked why are so many "red" states dirt poor.

I cannot believe that ones desire to disassociate from Black people could be so strong that they vote against their own interest by voting Republican.

Casper 2020-05-21 20:48:40 

Part tribalism and the need to support your “tribe”. Oftentimes, you and your family have been supporting the same party” since “Adam was a lad”.

Part hatred. You just hate the other part primarily because you hate the other people who support that party. Nothing that party does or say can get you to change your mind about supporting them.

You hatred of the “others” has been taught within your your own family and among those you primarily associate with.

I would guess the former applies to Jamaica more so than the latter, while the latter is primarily a historical part of the social, cultural and political evolution of America.

nitro 2020-05-21 21:15:30 

In reply to HumbleCalf

Black unemployment was at its lowest before China unleashed the virus on the World.

We have nothing to lose by giving Trump the opportunity to get us back.

sudden 2020-05-21 21:25:16 

In reply to nitro

Nothing but yuh dignity

TyTy35 2020-05-21 22:05:02 

In reply to nitro

Nitro we have everything to lose including our lives and the lives of our families if Trump is reelected. Almost 95000 people have died from Covid 19 and the only thing Trump is concerned about is that he gets re-elected, we used to say Black Lives Matter but to Trump nobody's lives matter. We need competent leadership
Link Text

nitro 2020-05-21 22:08:18 

In reply to TyTy35

My brother don't you think this level of death would have occured under any President? This is a dangerous virus.

Headley 2020-05-22 20:32:50 

In reply to HumbleCalf

I cannot believe that ones desire to disassociate from Black people could be so strong that they vote against their own interest by voting Republican.

Alabama.