The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: ‘What did Cornwall bring to the team? – former England quick Small mystified by off-spinners selection

CaribbeanCricket.com 2020-07-30 11:49:10 

Former England fast bowler Gladstone Small has branded the inclusion of off-spinner Rahkeem Cornwall, for the final Test match against England, as a useless change and evidence of a West Indies squad that was overly conservative.  

The off-spinner was brought into the squad at the expense of pace bowler Alzarri Joseph for the decisive Test.  He did not do terribly in terms of economy rate but never really troubled the batsmen.

“Cornwall? What was that selection about? What did he bring to the table? You’ve already got an off-spinning batsman in Roston Chase in the team? What does Cornwall bring to that team?  You have got to have variety to take 20 wickets in a Test match," he added.

Read more at SportsMax

Full Story

Raggs 2020-07-30 12:17:07 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Ask him if he grow a neck yet. This is west indian bussiness, what it got to do with him?

jacksprat 2020-07-30 12:30:37 

I fully endorse Gladstone Small's sentiments!
He said nothing that I and others I and others have not been saying, before, during and after the test -Cornwall was a wasted pick given the circumstances.

To be frank, I am much more interested in the relative validity of Small's assertion than casting ad hominem attacks at him

Narper 2020-07-30 12:32:09 

No neck Small should just STFU

If he is honest he would admit he has a problem with how Cornwall looks...rather than what he brings to the team

His size is the only reason Cornwall is being over scrutinized

Maispwi 2020-07-30 12:40:26 

Size or no size what was the purpose of selecting another off spinner in weather conditions dat screamed out for an additional seamer?

Was management just playing politics? If so dey shud all be fired

Drapsey 2020-07-30 12:44:10 

Looks like Small suffering from inferiority complex. He must be intimidated by the sheer size of The Wall.

dayne 2020-07-30 13:09:08 

Well Small might have some disingenuousness in his comment, but on the morning of the last Test Holding also was commenting that the selection of the team was also illogical, the WI was a seamer short, as on analysis Chase was the only spinner in the Test to take wickets. Small IMO correctly stated that the WI came into the Test with a defensive mindset.

Norm 2020-07-30 18:42:22 

Despite all the "sentiments", etc, Cornwall's selection was justified, on the basis of the excellent performances in both the regional first class competition and the previous WI Test series.

He did not perform well in the only Test he played in the current series, but to question his SELECTION is to question the use of the domestic competition as the basis for WI selection. If selecting Cornwall here was wrong in any way, we might as well scrap the domestic competition and do a "friend pick" for every series.

I cannot understand why WI fans, including highly educated people, keep trampling on efforts to utilize unbiased methods for WI team selection. The route by which Cornwall, and about half the others in the current team, attained selection is the only one that could bring about improvement in the team's performance, and is fair at the same time.

All the great WI teams and players were products of the domestic competition, except maybe Gordon Greenidge. They might have been polished by English county cricket, Packer cricket, etc, but they all began in the domestic competition.

So, please stop attacking Cornwall. If that could be justified, then we should also attack Campbell, Dowrich and Hope, because they also failed badly - despite getting more chances.

anthonyp 2020-07-30 18:59:33 

What did Campbell, Hope and the other batsmen bring to the team?

The batting failed the whole series but we quick to blame a bowler who played one match. Yes Cornwall didn't perform in the match but he earned his spot.

Maispwi 2020-07-30 19:03:37 

In reply to Norm

So u are saying dat u wud play a second spinner in seam friendly conditions simply because he has amassed many wickets on spin friendly tracks?

Were we trying to win a match or please critics? Dis was not de match to play Cornwall

Norm 2020-07-30 19:06:48 

In reply to Maispwi

I am saying 2 things now:

1. Cornwall earned his spot.

2. You are trying to distort that fact with skuntery that leads to further skuntery.

Halliwell 2020-07-30 19:11:35 

RCornwall v CHGayle (now) fielding at slip- Overwhelmingly Gayle
RC v CHG fielding in the circle- Overwhelmingly Gayle
RC v CHG bowling spin- marginally Cornwall
RC v CHG batting- rolleyes
RC v CHG value as an all rounder- overwhelmingly Gayle if Chase is playing

Regionals - Cornwall plays

openning 2020-07-30 19:18:29 

In reply to Raggs

This is west indian bussines

Is Barbados not part of the West Indies, or only non Bajans living abroad are consider West Indians?
I stayed in a room at Almond hotels, he room was next door, he was in the Island bring cricket equipment for young cricketers.
Tell me what you have done for young cricketers, in your neck of the woods.

Norm 2020-07-30 19:21:05 

In reply to Halliwell

A few facts (seems like that is the only thing that gets thru to people here):

1. Gayle retired from Test cricket a long time ago.
2. Cornwall has a much better Test bowling record that Chase, in every way.

Logically, Cornwall should be the No. 1 WI spin option.

camos 2020-07-30 19:23:40 

In reply to Norm

1. Cornwall earned his spot.

that does not make any sense! do you say the same about Permaul for the tour?

openning 2020-07-30 19:26:24 

In reply to Norm
The team cannot afford two of them.
I was a big supporter of him, until I watched both of them together in the third test.
Only one of them should be in any X1.

Norm 2020-07-30 19:32:07 

In reply to camos

do you say the same about Permaul for the tour?

Yes. Permaul was dealt with very unjustly.

The fact remains that only the domestic competition and recent Test performance could be used fairly to SELECT the team.

Maispwi 2020-07-30 19:32:21 

In reply to Norm

Cornwall earned a spot on the 15 not in the 11 for the 3rd Test.

Ah didn bring anyting into play dat shudn be considered by management when selecting teams. If dey doh think bout dese tings den heaven help us going forward.

Cornwall was not an automatic pick on the team unless dere was a spin friendly conditions available and de conditions for de 3rd Test certainly weren't

Norm 2020-07-30 19:34:53 

In reply to openning

I was a big supporter of him, until I watched both of them together in the third test.

Don't confuse SELECTION with performance. Cornwall's selection was justified, based on both domestic competition and recent Test performance. His performance after selection determines his future selection.

Concerning Chase OR Cornwall, are you saying Chase cannot earn a Test spot as a batsman only? I would disagree on that.

Norm 2020-07-30 19:35:43 

In reply to Maispwi

Cornwall earned a spot on the 15 not in the 11 for the 3rd Test.

Hindsight whining!!!

analyst-kid 2020-07-30 19:56:13 

After seeing how demoralised the WI top order was...I was plying for Cornwall AND Reifer.

When Wagner threatened the WI in NZ, only Reifer stood up to him and he ended up topping the WI batting averages.

Link Text

Reifer's left arm swing which caused him to rout WI in a warm up match meants he hould bolster the batting, bowling and fielding.

jacksprat 2020-07-30 20:25:26 

This was not about performance but about the wisdom of the team selection for the final test.

Those who know anything about cricket, and were not blinkered by the flag and plain insularity, questioned the wisdom of Cornwall's selection, beforehand; even while some were loudly braying for him to be included, even ahead of Blackwood.

That should have told us that this was based on more on passion and blind fervour rather than the best eleven and what was ultimately good for the overall balance of the team and what would have given it the best chance of success.

It was plainly idiotic to have included Cornwall, another rightarm offspinner when Chase, the incumbent was doing a more than commendable job filling that role, while West Indies' batting was always suspect.

openning 2020-07-30 21:24:16 

In reply to Norm
If they were playing in Asai, play them together, but with tracks like the one we saw in England, no need for two of the same spinners to be in the team.
It was my first time seeing them bowled together, I saw no difference in their bowling, something the selection panel should take into consideration.
The team need a spinner, who can spin the ball, especially one with variation.

Norm 2020-07-30 21:47:20 

In reply to jacksprat and openning

WI should give all those who earned their spots a fair chance. If they are not good enough it will soon show, and will affect their future selection. That is the only way for WI to be fair to the players and to respect its own development plan.

Criticizing selections in hindsight is extremely unfair and counter-productive.

openning 2020-07-30 22:09:44 

In reply to Norm

WI should give all those who earned their spots a fair chance.

In selecting any team, in any team sport, it should be balance,
There is no need for two off-spinners in the West Indies team.
One has to bring something different.

Maispwi 2020-07-30 22:25:00 

In reply to Norm

Ah said dat from day 1. With rain n cloudy skies forecast for all 5 days of the match, why wud anybody play 2 spinners at de expense of a seamer?

Norm 2020-07-30 22:40:03 

In reply to Maispwi

why wud anybody play 2 spinners at de expense of a seamer?

That would be up to the selectors.

The point is that Cornwall EARNED his selection in the team, whenever the selectors chose to play him.

Norm 2020-07-30 22:40:59 

In reply to openning

There is no need for two off-spinners in the West Indies team.

Says who?

openning 2020-07-30 23:26:29 

In reply to Norm

Says who?

Yours truly.
There is nothing wrong with two off break bowlers in Asia, with one having some variety, but see absolutely little difference in the bowling.
It is like picking Permaul, Miller or warrican.
Now if Shillingford or Narine can bowl, they could be selected together, because of what in their arsenal.

nitro 2020-07-31 00:50:05 

He brought Guts to the team, lots of it.

By the way OBESITY is an underlying condition. They exposed the young man to the threat of Covid.

Norm 2020-07-31 02:04:56 

In reply to openning

Yours truly.

The selectors wanted both Chase and Cornwall in the third Test. Looks like they chose to ignore you - just like that. smile

openning 2020-07-31 02:34:18 

In reply to Norm
This is my first response to the thread.

I also thought he should have been selected for the first test, after seeing them bowled together, my belief is only one them should be selected, in the playing X1.

Sylobaby 2020-07-31 12:21:15 

As a West Indian I must say that I was disappointed with the selection of Cornwall for the final test. However Small is not a former England cricketer and therefore he should have criticized his English selectors for not playing Broad in the first test and let us West Indians take care of our problem. He should have told Archer that he will never be celebrated as an Englishman

pooranian 2020-07-31 12:58:25 

What did he bring to the table........A plate,knife and fork.Player looking like that in 2020 is beyond shameful....Before the sensitive folks jump on me.This just shows the lack of discipline...whichever way you slice and dice it..Unless there is a serious medical condition...

Halliwell 2020-07-31 13:16:21 

In reply to Norm

Norm,
I am not saying we should include Gayle.
I am saying the same arguments about out-fielding weakness, lesser spin option and fading prowess with the bat MUST apply to Cornwall equally.

dayne 2020-07-31 13:38:19 

A few months ago both Hetmyer and Lewis failed a fitness test for the ODI series in India, is that same test held for Test cricket selection and is Cornwall exempt from taking it?

camos 2020-07-31 14:30:15 

In reply to dayne

The test Cornwall took was a political test!

wink

Halliwell 2020-07-31 14:39:01 

In reply to camos

lol

Norm 2020-07-31 16:53:28 

In reply to camos

The way all you cussin' Cornwall, you would think that HE lost the Test that was a sure win for WI.

Logic 2020-07-31 17:18:24 

In reply to Halliwell

Did not want to get into the Monday morning quarterbacking on Cornwall but could not let the following pass:

RCornwall v CHGayle (now) fielding at slip- Overwhelmingly Gayle

I know he dropped a catch in the match but Cornwall is an exceptional slip fielder. Gayle in his old age has been dropping nuff.

RC v CHG bowling spin- marginally Cornwall

This comment is particularly delusional, confirming that Gayle is more myth than substance in some people's minds.

Star 2020-07-31 17:26:14 

In reply to Norm

=== is to question the use of the domestic competition as the basis for WI selection

V.Permaul, K.Powell ignored in spite of their domestic performance.

C.Holder not selected for the 3rd test although everyone knew Gabriel was spent. I am of the opinion that this young man would have created some problems for the English batsmen.

Playing people off reputation is not going to cut it anymore. I am not convinced the grunter can live up to his reputation anymore.

Mr.Jimmy Adams must read the riot act to certain people including the Chief Selector.

analyst-kid 2020-07-31 17:37:17 

In reply to Star

Reifer instead of Cornwall for Joseph
Chemar Holder for Gabriel.
Bonner for Hope
DaSilva for Campbell

But then that would have been an all Bajan attack!

Star 2020-07-31 17:48:26 

In reply to analyst-kid
Those selection would have been ok.