The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

T&T ....Rowley promised to reduce crime in 2015...PJ?

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:34:09 

Four years ago, Dr Keith Rowley, then opposition leader, predicted the downfall of the People’s Partnership (PP) government due to its inability to get crime under control.

Rowley also conceded then that spiralling crime had led to the People’s National Movement’s (PNM) losing the 2010 general election.During a meeting at the Port-of-Spain City Hall on January 6, 2014, as he offered himself to lead the PNM and the party for re-election, Rowley appealed to the public not to be hoodwinked by the PP’s attempt to lessen the severity of the increased crime rate by blaming warring gangs for the runaway murders.

For the first six days of 2014—under the PP's watch—16 murders had been recorded to which Rowley said, "I can't recall any time in this country, a bloodbath taking place like this week."

Rowley entered office on a promise to reduce crime and eradicate corruption in September 2015.

In the PNM's 2015 manifesto titled "Let’s Do This Together," the PNM described T&T as a nation in crisis.

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:39:58 

Rowley’s quotes on crime in opposition

Jan 6, 2014—

"I can't recall any time in this country, a bloodbath taking place like this week."—referring to the 16 murders during the first six days of 2014 as he offered himself to lead the PNM at a meeting at the POS City Hall.

Jan 27, 2014—"People said they are beginning to lose faith that we could ever pull it back. We give the assurance we will put our hands to the tiller and steer the ship of T&T. We in the Opposition are taking steps to understand the problem and prepare responses."—speaking at an Arima Town Hall Meeting.

Oct 26, 2014—"The criminal element has too much room to manoeuvre.”—promising to roll back crime as he accused those in office of being less than honest with the population about the real story behind crime during the PNM Convention at the Hyatt Regency.PM's quote on crime in government

Oct 6, 2015—"This Budget has as its largest allocation, national security. That is driven by the chronic and rampant criminal conduct in Trinidad and Tobago. We get the pain of the crimes and we have to pay the largest amount of our earnings on trying to treat crime. That is the dollarising of crime in T&T. This should let the population know, if ever we did not know before, that crime is having a serious effect on the population of T&T."—speaks about National Security receiving the largest budgetary allocation in the 2015/2016 budget.

Nov 25, 2016—"It is now pretty normal in Trinidad and Tobago to wake up every morning and be greeted the first item of news that somebody has killed somebody and on many occasions, somebody has been killed by the police.” - speaking at the formal hand over of the St Joseph Police Station.

Nov 25, 2016—"Every family that loses an individual either to a criminal act or to the police in an act of self-defence is now exposed to pain, anguish, and long-suffering and that is what our country is right now."—speaking at the formal hand over of the St Joseph Police Station.

Nov 25, 2016—"I am particularly disturbed and sometimes bordering on depression that the Government that I lead is being held, quite correctly, for the ineffective security of the State that exists now."—speaking at the formal hand over of the St Joseph Police Station.

Nov 25, 2016—"At the end of the day, it is not the teachers, it is not the priests, it is not the doctors who will be required to respond to the unacceptable level of criminal conduct in Trinidad and Tobago. It is first and foremost the police service and of course the wider national security apparatus."— speaking at the formal hand over of the St Joseph Police Station.

Dec 19, 2016 - “The one thing we cannot do is to allow impse to believe that they have control of any street or any quarter in this country and that the State recognises that. The police cannot accept that and the Government will not accept it.” - speaking at the formal hand over of the new Besson Street Police Station.

Jan 28, 2017 —"The loss of life through violent and unlawful means is wholly unacceptable."—referring to the numerous murders around that time.

December 6, 2017—"Nobody in this country, nobody, not man, not women, not child could present an argument to us in Trinidad and Tobago, a convincing argument that we do not have a serious crime problem. We can apportion blame and reasons, that is academic, but also nobody could advance an argument that is believable that we do not—across Trinidad and Tobago, we are learning—have a serious crime problem rooted largely in the gang culture."— contribution during debate on the Anti-Gang Bill.

December 6, 2017—"We have always had a certain element of criminal conduct in our country over the decades, but in recent times, the last 15 years or so, with the coming of the drug trade, the level of criminal conduct in Trinidad and Tobago has exploded and has remained intractable."—contribution during debate on the Anti-Gang Bill.

December 6, 2017—"I did not hear any argument from the other side that we do not have gangs. I did not hear anyone from the other side arguing that the gangs are not destroying the quality of life and threatening the economy of Trinidad and Tobago. I did not hear anyone on the other side say that, so I take it that they are in agreement with those of us on this side that we do have the gangs that we had mentioned, whether it is 2,000 or 2,500, or whatever it is; we have a lot, too many."—contribution during debate on the Anti-Gang Bill.

December 6, 2017—"Let us not pretend that this is a national problem, and for those of you who feel 'is a PNM problem in PNM strongholds', you are wasting your thought. This is a national problem, from Cedros to Toco, from Buccoo to Carenage."—contribution during debate on the Anti-Gang Bill.

December 6, 2017—"You have friends, you have mothers, you have sisters, you have communities. You are MPs, you represent 29,000 people. And you want to allow crime to flourish to campaign in 2020? I do not believe it, but that is what it is. I implore you tonight, put that aside, let us come together in the fight against crime."—contribution during debate on the Anti-Gang Bill.

July 12, 2018—"We are not considering that at this time, we do not see it as an effective way of changing what is happening. A state of emergency will not necessarily give us the security that we are looking for. There'll be negative developments on the economy and that would in itself create the environment for further growth of criminal conduct."—denies Government is considering a State of Emergency during a post-Cabinet briefing.

May 4, 2019—"There was a time when violent gun crimes were incidents which occurred only in certain parts of the country. Over the last decade, with the inflow and availability of firearms throughout this small country and the free movement of criminals in all our communities, no place is beyond the incidents and no community is immune to the effects of this national plague."— communicated via text regarding the May 3 killings at Carenage.

May 4, 2019—"This diet of violence and lots of angry people mean that the job of law enforcement is getting no easier and the pain and trauma constantly remind us of our own vulnerabilities."—communicated via text regarding the May 3 killings at Carenage.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 00:43:47 

In reply to sgtdjones

Well....TTO is a lawless place. To reduce crime would be herculean. And our tolerance for wrongdoing is very very high. When a Cedros fisherman could assemble 90000 US dollars to pay a ransom to Venezuelan kidnappers and that does not raise an alarm among the population, then you know we have a problem

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:44:50 

With Sobers ( Mr Young) at his side approx 2,000 citizens have died since he became PM.

2015 - 420
2016 - 463
2017 - 494
2018 - 516
2019 - 490
2020 - 263

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 00:46:33 

In reply to sgtdjones

And you're politicising it? People bad decisions, dishonesty and lack of self control is something that is directly influenced by an election? Yuh swear is the government killing these people and irs an Amnesty international rap sheet

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:46:53 

In reply to Jumpstart

Jumpy

Rowley entered office on a promise to reduce crime and eradicate corruption in September 2015.

What did his Sobers accomplish?

rolleyes

"Young claims he recused himself from matters relating to 'Cabinet Notes that were dealing with the award of contracts to certain contractors, after competitive tender because he was involved in litigation with these same contractors whom the Rowley PNM administration accused of 'bid rigging and other corrupt behaviour.'
This is a shocking admission that the Rowley administration has been awarding multi-million-dollar contracts to the very companies that they sued for corruption.

"Instead of recusing himself, why didn’t Young tell the Cabinet that he was involved in litigation against these contractors and seek to dissuade the Government from awarding such massive contracts to them?

Arent you concerned about this Jumpy?

“How can you have as a country that 34 per cent of the population is black and only 10 significant black-owned businesses. That cannot be right.”Yet,The PNM ruled this country for 50 years

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 00:48:49 

In reply to sgtdjones

Well there are matters of a serious nature before the police at this moment.
Its up to the police.....government does not try and convict people.
Two of the most prominent have been making the news in recent wekks: lifesport and EMBD. But those matters are before the police.

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:52:10 

In reply to Jumpstart

I have no one in this election fight ...
they are both corrupt entities and I wouldn't vote for any individual or party.

I am just showing factual information above.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 00:53:34 

In reply to sgtdjones

And? The government employs 68-70% of the workforce. Which means regardless of race, gender or location, GORTT remains by far the biggest employer of persons in tge Republic of Trinidad and Tobago. Why do you think most persons who engaged in agriculture migrated to the public service and the oil and gas fields?

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 00:57:50 

In reply to Jumpstart

Jumpy

In the PNM's 2015 manifesto titled "Let’s Do This Together," the PNM described T&T as a nation in crisis.

Anti Gang Bill
Anti bail Bill

The Nation is in crisis look at the numbers of unemployed before C19.What has the Ruling party done according to its promises?.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 00:58:46 

In reply to sgtdjones

I studied Finance. All the talk about giving contracts to smaller contractors makes no sense. Yes KALCO has matters before the court. But who can pave a 50KM stretch of road....Ali and Sons? KALCO, Junior Sammy etc are the only ones with the starting capital and equipment to undertake large projects. Yuh cant ask a man who can build a two bedroom house to build a warehouse

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 01:00:24 

In reply to Jumpstart

[b]This is a shocking admission that the Rowley administration has been awarding multi-million-dollar contracts to the very companies that they sued for corruption.

"Instead of recusing himself, why didn’t Young tell the Cabinet that he was involved in litigation against these contractors and seek to dissuade the Government from awarding such massive contracts to them?[/b]

Tell me the above does it makes sense?
Manning had Hart, the French and Chinese.Kamla had the Brazilians.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 01:02:15 

In reply to sgtdjones

And it was.....the overdraft at the central bank had been exceeded and government had to borrow 1 billion dollars from First Citizens to pay salaries. I was working in MOF head office when it hapoened

If the biggest employer couldn't pay salaraies...well if that is not a crisis, i doh know what is

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 01:04:58 

In reply to sgtdjones

As i said.....who do yoU feel they should give it too? Some unknown contractor?

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 01:05:53 

In reply to Jumpstart

Jumpy

I did some digging on Rowley Promises.

Crime and Corruption. He claimed UNC had crooked contractors and is suing them, but then gave multi million dollar contracts to this crooked bunch.

Crime, Look at the above his comments when he was in Opposition? Has it improved ?

Crime and Corruption....that's all.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 01:10:01 

In reply to sgtdjones

They're still being sued....does not disqualify them from jobs though. If they have the capital and equipment, then to me thats all that matters.

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 01:11:12 

The Government gave Sobers brother who is the CEO of a financial Institution approx 3 billion dollars in business.

What does Young brother remuneration package look like, now I understand its publicly traded.? A company with limited history.
Did Mr Young Father get remunerated also ?

See the problem here? A can of worms opened.

The Government was against corruption and vowed transparency.

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 01:13:41 

In reply to Jumpstart

Jumpy

I must go now, You are a gentleman in debate. Thank you . Will meet again.

Seeing the other side is how I learn .

gnite.

Jumpstart 2020-08-03 01:14:16 

In reply to sgtdjones

Part of the reason the PPG was voted in was because the populace wanted an answer to what took place in UDECOTT under Calder Hart. There was a legitimate expectation that the matter would be prosecuted.....what resulted was a commission of enquiry that wasted both resources and money.... and hart was still free to travel around the country. My parents were at a seaside restaurant in Chaguaramas and he was there normal...as if nothing had happened....that was in 2015

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 13:33:25 

TWO people, including a woman, have added to the country’s murder toll.

The latest killings took place in Biche and Blanchisseuse, taking the country’s murder toll for the year so far to 263 compared to 331 for the corresponding period last year.

Rowley, over 2000 died since you became PM, what happened to your promise?

sgtdjones 2020-08-03 23:19:44 

Where is PJ and the Imam?

Narper 2020-08-03 23:44:28 

In reply to sgtdjones

‘Re-elect us because we did well with covid19’"

That is the PNM election slogan
dem want people to forget 4 years crime and job losses and only think about the last 5 months

sgtdjones 2020-08-04 01:56:57 

In reply to Narper

Thats funny Narps...

lol lol

Narper 2020-08-04 03:00:05 

In reply to sgtdjones

How come PJ and his imam batty licker not touching dis thread?

wink

Halliwell 2020-08-04 05:24:18 

In reply to Narper

They didn’t do well with Covid19, in hindsight
They just locked down and still could not effectively deal with the drip drip of persons entering the country.
Just postponing the inevitable because there may not be an effective vaccine anytime soon

granite 2020-08-04 15:48:20 

I hope Alexander can shake up things a bit,make PNM and UNC think,I want to see is a weak government and another election within 2 years.Another early election and the PEP could be rocking.
"I would rather to be strongly wrong than weakly right". lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2020-08-04 16:50:29 

In reply to Halliwell

It is starting to spike in T&T C19.

sad

VIX 2020-08-04 16:58:44 

In reply to granite

man, get over alexander. He's irrelevant.

Narper 2020-08-04 20:54:28 

In reply to VIX

Ever heard of a trini 'politician and party leader' Ramdeo Sampath Mehta of yesteryear? Maybe you are too young big grin big grin big grin big grin
Ask Pepe or Spready...for sure Spready will remember

sgtdjones 2020-08-04 21:24:38 

Voter turnout key to victory (Conclusion)
The Nigel Henry Poll: Conclusion

With just 16 per cent of voters undecided in the final week heading into the election (compared to 25 per cent five years ago), the final result may well hinge upon which party is better able to turn out their supporters.

The poll analysis is the PNM is leading the general election race at 43 per cent, with the UNC at 38 per cent—a five-per cent difference.

“At this point, PNM supporters appear to be more energised than UNC supporters with a three-point gap between the two parties with respect to the certainty that their supporters will turn out

Caution: Remember what dogs do to Poles.
razz razz