Linda Thomas-Greenfield: Joe Biden nominee for UN ambassador

birdseye 2020-11-24 18:56:38 

Life can be hard and difficult but there is hope in the struggle –

sudden 2020-11-24 18:57:56 

In reply to birdseye

wtf does that mean

Ewart 2020-11-24 19:02:19 

In reply to sudden

It means even you can soar on wings of hope.

razz

//

sudden 2020-11-24 19:03:16 

i hope so

SnoopDog 2020-11-24 19:10:41 

In reply to sudden

I can't believe how anti-climatic this season of 'The Apprentice - Dotard Edition' is turning out to be.

Just last week we were promised "The release of the Kraken" and "something Biblical" from the show's Elite Strike Force team.

Surely the season finale on January 20th 2021 will be MAGA epic and not some tired old procedural step called "Inauguration Day".

Drapsey 2020-11-24 19:34:09 

In reply to birdseye

Maybe she's a relative (in-law).

Greenfield is my mother's maiden name, and my grand-father was famous for making the rounds.

birdseye 2020-11-24 21:04:07 

In reply to Drapsey

Greenfield is my mother's maiden name, and my grand-father was famous for making the rounds.
you never know - stranger things have happened smile smile

birdseye 2020-11-24 21:17:01 

In reply to sudden

wtf does that mean
Homonyms

JayMor 2020-11-25 01:43:38 

In reply to Drapsey

Sort of similar to Trelawny, would you believe it that Providence Stadium is in Greenfield Park area? Went by a couple days ago. Bourda too, eh! Even get a tour, star.

--Æ.

carl0002 2020-11-25 02:20:42 

Today I watched the Biden cabinet speeches and I realized something. Normally the Presidents and high level government people usually end their speeches with "God Bless America". That happened today. I cant recall Trump or anyone of his under and unqualified people ever ending their speeches like that. That was removed their lexicon, perhaps because thy knew what they were doing was never in the interest of America but for themselves or even more nefarious-for Trumps #1 Friend.

Drapsey 2020-11-25 11:39:33 

In reply to JayMor

Sort of similar to Trelawny, would you believe it that Providence Stadium is in Greenfield Park area? Went by a couple days ago. Bourda too, eh! Even get a tour, star.

Greenfield(s) everywhere.

Nice man. Enjoy the Mudland. It's on my bucketlist of places to visit.

black 2020-11-25 12:19:20 

In reply to carl0002

Today I watched the Biden cabinet speeches and I realized something. Normally the Presidents and high level government people usually end their speeches with "God Bless America". That happened today. I cant recall Trump or anyone of his under and unqualified people ever ending their speeches like that

Not true, Trump is a scumbag but he does say, "God bless America."

As an matter of fact, there was a instance when he slurred those words and everybody talked about it. Some were speculating that he has dentures, his people said it was a case of dry mouth.

'God bless the United States"

Chrissy 2020-11-25 12:21:13 

In reply to Drapsey

She did a stint in Jamaica

JayMor 2020-11-25 12:28:19 

In reply to Drapsey

You'll enjoy! The Guyanese hospitality is tops; beyond expectation, really. And the perceived Indian-African rift is not to be seen in everyday life; perhaps evidenced more by the obvious economic advantage the Indians have, but not the on-the-ground interactions. I was hosted by an Indian family way out in Essequibo for 5 days without so much as a blip (and you know me-- I was looking!). Plenty 'admixturing' is evidenced-- douglas and, check this out, 'buck-and-people' (i.e. Amerindian mixed with black). I don't know if there's a name for the Sarwan types, but there's plenty of them too.

For any GTers reading, I'm now familiar with everywhere from Suddie to Charity, having traversed the area several times. Even went dipping in the warm black waters of Lake Kapui. Was to ride the Pomeroon River into some Amerindian 'missions' (not called 'reservations' here) but heavy rains that day put paid to that plan.

GT itself is a very livable town. There is bustle but not the heavy overdose of it as in Kingston (and Accra). Nuff 'Cummings' tings deh bout: Cummings Street, Cummings area and I even saw a Cummings Lodge high school near UG. ...Just giving a shout out to our own dear Chrissy.

BTW, in my previous post, I didn't mean that Bourda too is in the Greenfield Park area; only Providence stadium.

I just had to extend my stay; couldn't help it, Iyah. Linden is on the agenda today.

--Æ.

Drapsey 2020-11-25 14:21:35 

In reply to JayMor

I just had to extend my stay; couldn't help it, Iyah. Linden is on the agenda today.

What about MacKenzie?

Oops, just found out that Linden and MacKenzie are one and the same.

Drapsey 2020-11-25 14:27:02 

In reply to Chrissy

She did a stint in Jamaica

Hopefully she did look-up and meet the extended family.

trev114 2020-11-25 16:47:04 

TED talk

Chrissy 2020-11-25 20:46:52 

In reply to JayMor

Well said bro

embsallie 2020-11-25 21:13:15 

In reply to Ewart

It means even you can soar on wings of hope.

Shai Hope?? big grin

birdseye 2020-11-25 23:02:55 

In reply to JayMor

Bill Barr’s memo to Donald Trump was hardly as praiseworthy, and it got him the job of US attorney general ---I shall be monitoring this thread

big grin big grin big grin

StumpCam 2020-11-26 00:02:23 

In reply to JayMor

For any GTers reading, I'm now familiar with everywhere from Suddie to Charity, having traversed the area several times. Even went dipping in the warm black waters of Lake Kapui. Was to ride the Pomeroon River into some Amerindian 'missions' (not called 'reservations' here) but heavy rains that day put paid to that plan.

That is Beatheballs area! lol lol

Me personally have not been to that part of the country having grown up in Demerara, east of GT! wink

JayMor 2020-11-26 04:59:53 

In reply to StumpCam

You mean Duncy beat his balls over in the Essequibo region? big grin  That area was a refreshing change for me, coming from the standpoint of a Yardie. You're overdue, Stumpie.

Demerara and east of GT will have to wait for my next trip. I leave tomorrow.

--Æ.

JayMor 2020-11-27 16:00:40 

In reply to birdseye

Bill Barr’s memo to Donald Trump was hardly as praiseworthy, and it got him the job of US attorney general ---I shall be monitoring this thread

How I didn't see your post and yet saw the one after yours beats me! Sorry, man.

Anyway... lol lol

Back in Yankeeland now but with a twist: I'm posting from a Miami hotel because the flight back was delayed and hence I missed my flight back to the Constitution State last night. Wonderful country, that Guyana.

--Æ.

birdseye 2020-11-27 18:12:53 

In reply to JayMor
No worries

Wonderful country, that Guyana.
---An Alluring report on Guyana from a yardie…. For years I use to hangout at a bar in Queens on Sunday afternoons to watch American football with some Guyanese friends, and truthfully I can’t remember any of them being as celebratory of their country as you wrote….. Guyana was never on my bucket list, but it now has possibilities. Hoping you enjoyed a healthy thanksgiving – stay safe --- dotard time is limited big grin

JayMor 2020-11-28 22:00:45 

In reply to birdseye

Birdie, listen, you'll enjoy the place. It offers many contrasts with Ja, but also many cultural similarities. Guyana has a small population, 800,000, compared to Ja's almost 3M, but it's geographical size is almost 20 times that of Ja. And even within that 800,000 population, there's so much variation that someone like you would be kept interested (yes, I remember sitting next to you and conversing at that event a few years ago). We are well used to East Indians in Ja, being our largest minority, but the extent of the "Indianness" of the Guyanese ones escape us. I am now able to not turn my head when I hear "abidees" for "we", and if a woman 'tie' you (as we'd say in Ja) then she's got you 'pagalee' or 'bassodee'. lol

I attended a Jhandi prayer; I get the feeling it's always a dedication of something-- in our case it was a new home. Very apt description here, exceptions being that (i) our Pandit (a 30-something Guyanese man fluent in Hindi) gave prayer also to Govinda and one other god; (ii) while I ate the "seven curry" out of the leaf, I used a spoon instead of my fingers; (iii) my hosts said "shine rice" instead of "sweet rice"; and (iv) our Pandit delivered a sweet little sermon too, but touched on to why he thought facemasks are unnecessary-- essentially he thought que sera, sera, believing in destiny philosophy.

The indigenous Amerindian peaked my curiosity. They're more and more being integrated into the regular society and more of them are moving into the urban areas. Two, an older woman and her grandson, were at the Jhandi above; a club I went to out in Anna Regina is owned by a black man but his girlfriend is a 'buck gal'; one member of the family of my Georgetown hosts is a half-and-half ('buck and people', i.e. mixed with black). big grin

--Æ.

black 2020-11-28 22:13:31 

In reply to JayMor

. I am now able to not turn my head when I hear "abidees" for "we", and if a woman 'tie' you (as we'd say in Ja) then she's got you 'pagalee' or 'bassodee'.

Uniquely Guyanese. lol

My brother's ex-wife is half Amerindindian.

StumpCam 2020-11-28 22:18:29 

In reply to JayMor

Glad to know you experienced and appreciated the diversity of our people and culture in Guyana!
As long as I can remember, the Amerindians were always free to assimilate into the mainstream! I’m talking 40-50yrs ago. I could remember at least one guy that I went to high school with.

Ewart 2020-11-28 23:40:34 

In reply to embsallie

Shai Hope??

Right now he needs wings too.

//

Ewart 2020-11-28 23:44:07 

In reply to birdseye

An Alluring report on Guyana from a Yardie...

So you didn't know that of all Caribbean people Guyanese and Jamaicans get on together the best?

//

JayMor 2020-11-28 23:55:48 

In reply to Black
Uniquely Guyanese indeed! While I understand that the interaction of the races (Afro-Indo) is not always seamless, I find the cross-culture interplay that one casually observes to be promising. I didn't get to go into a mission but next time I will.

In reply to Stumpie
Cool place, man. I even drove a little in GT, something I wouldn't do in most parts of Kingston right now. My stay was definitely entertaining and informative at the same time. If my mind wasn't made up already re moving to Ghana, Guyana would be a prime candidate.

--Æ.

JayMor 2020-11-28 23:57:53 

In reply to Ewart

So you didn't know that of all Caribbean people Guyanese and Jamaicans get on together the best?

A very, very true statement. I've observed this since college days in the late 1970s!

--Æ.

birdseye 2020-11-29 19:22:50 

In reply to JayMor
A engaging post on your Guyanese experience, ambassadorial if you ask me. My youngest son’s wife is the offspring of a Guyanese Indian father and an afro-Antigua mother. We have spent family vacation together, but never heard the intriguing Guyana positive that you articulate here. Wish I saw your post earlier, could have been added thanksgiving dinner conversation

re your dining experience – an Indian coworker from Demerara once invited me to his home for dinner. Dinner was served and I sat waiting, looking a bit perplexed – my host then said – “don’t tell me you’re going to embarrass me asking for knife and fork” --- I said, sorry, but yes.

I remember the function well – I remember you came in fashionably late and commandeer my table while I was on the dance floor. big grin I remember posters Chrissy, newdread, his brother and cricketer Roger Harper among the attendees.

JayMor 2020-11-29 20:29:05 

In reply to birdseye

I remember you came in fashionably late and commandeer my table while I was on the dance floor.
"Fashionably late"!!?? How you know dat? True though. LOL.
     Re commandeering your table, den yuh no done know Man a Bad Man. HeHeHe! Great convo subsequently though. big grin

On not hearing Guyanese tout their country much, that's been my experience too. I have some thoughts on this but won't state them here. Suffice it to say I believe that will change going forward. Trust me, they have a treasure of a country. And plenty for a Yardie cum North American to take in and marvel at. They need to take their tourism serious and promote it like Ja.

And BTW, Guyana is reggae country, oh!

--Æ.

birdseye 2020-11-29 23:18:13 

In reply to JayMor

And BTW, Guyana is reggae country,
that much i know –---what surprise me was how much the Guyanese I hungout with love pork, and they could cook ----- this one guy made me some duck soup one Sunday, now I am not a lover of duck, but this soup was out of this world, unbelievably good ----unfortunately he passed about a year later.

np 2020-11-30 16:32:54 

In reply to JayMor

A very, very true statement. I've observed this since college days in the late 1970s!

So true Jaymor ... when I was in UWI mona in the 70-74 periods my best of friends on campus were Guyanes (outside of my yardie sidekicks from high school and the community I lived in.)

np 2020-11-30 16:37:06 

In reply to birdseye

That cricket get-together was cool. I recall meeting you then, but for the life of me can't recall seeing JayM. Mussi 'old age'.

birdseye 2020-11-30 18:19:51 

In reply to np The function jayM referencing was one organized by dukes, not the yard thing.

np 2020-11-30 18:55:12 

In reply to birdseye

Aaiight!! I was wondering ... no, never got to reach the thing Dukes had ... so mi no so bad in di head then!! big grin big grin big grin big grin

birdseye 2020-11-30 21:07:43 

In reply to np dont rush things

big grin

JayMor 2020-12-08 01:32:28 

In reply to np

when I was in UWI mona in the 70-74 periods my best of friends on campus were Guyanes (outside of my yardie sidekicks from high school and the community I lived in.)

I always found them the easiest to get along with... going all the way back to the very first one for me: Cadet NCO's Course 1969 at Yallahs. One of the JDF officers was actually a Guyanese (go figure!)-- just the coolest of the officers. In fact, the first time I heard DD&A's Sweet Coconut Water was from his dorm stereo; it remains a favourite of mine to this day.

Then there was uni days in Yankeeland; would lime with a few of them, including one female from a large family, which I've virtually become a part of (no, none of that stuff-- just good friends). In fact, if this story made news in your area, then you've heard of the family.

--Æ.

JayMor 2020-12-08 01:34:15 

In reply to birdseye

Yes, Birdie, they eat well down there. I especially like their pastry and desserts. Many and varied.

--Æ.

POINT 2020-12-09 03:42:37 

In reply to carl0002

You have made a Very Good Observation, Take a Bow !!!!!!!

Superfly 2020-12-09 13:16:03 

In reply to JayMor

The indigenous Amerindian peaked my curiosity. They're more and more being integrated into the regular society and more of them are moving into the urban areas. Two, an older woman and her grandson, were at the Jhandi above; a club I went to out in Anna Regina is owned by a black man but his girlfriend is a 'buck gal'; one member of the family of my Georgetown hosts is a half-and-half ('buck and people', i.e. mixed with black).

Older Guyanese used the word Boviander (but pronounced in Guyana as "buffianda") to describe those who were half-Amerindian but, sadly, the word seems to fallen out of favour.

Incidentally, the word "dougla" is a corruption of the Hindi word dogala which means mongrel, half-breed.

JayMor 2020-12-09 15:00:55 

In reply to Superfly

Some years ago the "dougla/dogala" topic was brought up here. One pertinent term that has seemingly fallen out of favour too in Jamaica is "_____ Royal", where the blank is filled by "Chiney" or "Cool**" (the latter word not being permitted on CC.com). It meant black mixed with Chinese or East Indian, respectively.

Some creative searching for "Boviander" yields me this interesting Pinterest page. I see what you mean. Thanks, Missa Supe.

--Æ.