The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

If Caribbean governments are serious about our cricket

Courtesy 2020-11-29 13:06:26 

Each island government should include in their annual budgets provision for funding 3-4 of their young nationals to attend reputable cricket academies for the next 4 years. This will create a core group of skilled players who will then pass on the skill-sets to young cricketers as they play in regional competitions and by so doing you will jumpstart and fast track a professionally minded Caribbean cricketer.

In the second year of execution this should yield a core group of around 50 skilled players.

The newly adopted rapprochement approach by CWI is very limited and depends on the very cricketer who contributed to the problem.

Concomitant with this fast track action, an appropriate governing structure should be put in place (reports are sitting on shelves) to provide for the efficient mgt of the game in the region. There must also be some synergy between CWI and governments in the region. Regional governments must have a share of the seats at the table.

Currently, CWI lacks the vision and resources to move our cricket forward.

johndom90 2020-11-29 20:49:51 

This will create a core group of skilled players
In reply to Courtesy

Good idea.

Its a pity thought, that given our past hx of success in the game, we do not have our own
reputable cricketing academy that could serve this purpose as well as attract cricketers
from the rest of the cricketing world

Also...when these young cricketers are matured, then what?. Throw them into the established mess that is
the WICBC? ... or whatever they call themselves these days?

Thats akin to throwing good money after bad.

Courtesy 2020-11-29 21:52:58 

In reply to johndom90

The establishment of six cricketing academies in the region was initially part of the establishment of CPL in the region.

I don't know what became of the idea.

Your concern:

Also...when these young cricketers are matured, then what?. Throw them into the established mess that is
the WICBC? ... or whatever they call themselves these days?

It was remedied above:
Concomitant with this fast track action, an appropriate governing structure should be put in place (reports are sitting on shelves) to provide for the efficient mgt of the game in the region. There must also be some synergy between CWI and governments in the region. Regional governments must have a share of the seats at the table.

Jumpstart 2020-11-29 21:55:50 

In reply to Courtesy

Unfortunately CWI is the only body recognized to take care of cricketing matters in the Caribbean. Its an albatross on our collective necks. The WI does not produce bad players. Our guys are probably tge most naturally gifted players in tge world. But they are unfinished goods. When they come in to international cricket, they are confronted by things they should have encountered but have not. Does tgat mean every WI player would be a success given the developmental advantages of other countries? No, but the fact that so many of our batsmen for example, struggle to know where their offstump is symptomatic of a hole in their technical development. Caribbean governments have tried to get the ICC to disband the CWI/WICB, but i think honestly that at least two of the three influential ICC members have no interest in seeing( ECB and CA) have no interest in seeing a strong West Indies team thanks to their collective PTSD from the 80s and 90s

Courtesy 2020-11-29 22:02:02 

This new report may be of interest to some of us:

THE WEHBY REPORT’ DISTRIBUTED TO CWI STAKEHOLDERS.

Jumpstart 2020-11-29 22:20:10 

In reply to Courtesy

Thanks....downloaded it and I'm reading it now. Why does it not surprise me that Julian Hunte and Dave Cameron declined to take part in the project even though they were invited to?

Courtesy 2020-11-29 22:32:27 

In reply to Jumpstart

Julian Hunte "made a submission in writing"...Dave Cameron declined.

Kay 2020-11-29 22:55:13 

In reply to Courtesy

Each island government should include in their annual budgets provision for funding 3-4 of their young nationals to attend reputable cricket academies for the next 4 years.

Not a bad idea. That is about 40-50 players going to reputable academies over 4 years. You have any idea of the combined total cost to the governments over the 4 years?

Just wondering how much it will cost to build and staff a top notch academy locally and whether all that money can be invested at home...

Courtesy 2020-11-29 23:24:45 

In reply to Kay

No idea of fees. But the infrastructure is there to complete a top notch cricket academy in the region with economies of scale. The UWI programme can be re-evaluated for its suitability.

Efficiency savings in government in each territory can more than make up the cost of funding.

Jumpstart 2020-11-30 00:30:36 

In reply to Kay

That is interesting. There was a program at UTT before 2010 that Gordon Greenidge and Desmond Haynes coached. Unfortunately, dessie and greenidge were fired after the government changed in 2010. Was a big campaign talking point in the elections of 2015.

Barry 2020-11-30 00:35:48 

In reply to Jumpstart
Yes but the programme was not restarted

confused

Slipfeeler 2020-11-30 14:31:02 

In reply to Courtesy

The reality is that Caribbean governments are currently fighting COViD-19 with limited resources, cricket has to take a back-burner position at this time, however, I see your point that procedures could have been implemented long before COViD.

openning 2020-11-30 15:21:52 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Are you blaming Covid for the last 25 years of governments not putting more money into cricket?
Are you aware that in addition to the Barbados CWI, Trident and Pride contracted players, they are a number of other male and female cricketers, contracted by the BCA.
I follow Joshua DaSilva on social media, he is Chanderpaul like, with his daily routine at QPO.
These program may not be world class, but at lease players in certain Island if they are willing, can develop to be good International players.

Jumpstart 2020-11-30 16:08:15 

In reply to openning

I dunno if its the role of governments. You cant blame governments for the maladministration of the WICB/CWI/WICBC. For example, prior to the last 5-6 years, CSA has been a mess, no doubt about it. But prior to that, they were good. But it was(and still is) almost impossible for a for a player outside the colleges(elite SA schools)) set up to progress in SA cricket. Allan Donald is probably one of the only exceptions. Ngidi and Ntini were recipients of scholarships to colleges and Rabadas parents are rich professionals. Do you blame the SA government for this? No. CSA has not expanded the game outside the colleges set up which is why you have many more rugby players than cricketers in SA. SA rugby has reached out to the communities and is reaping rich dividends.

The onus is primarily on the CWI to ensure the survival of the game in the west indies. ICC won't even allow the Caricom governments to conduct a forensic audit of the WICB. For example, when the WI was annihilating everyone except Imran's Pakistan, what arrangements were made for the continued excellence of the game? Nothing. When Camacho and the other talentless big wigs were going on yacht trips with british royalty, their only pass to that sphere being the unprecedented success of the WI cricket team, where were the structures to ensure our players were technically and mentally prepared for international cricket. Of course there are those who did not fulfil their talent, but in general, 90% of our players have been ill prepared for the demands of international test and odi cricket. That is no imf-ravaged government"s fault. The blames lies almost solely at the feet of the WICBC

openning 2020-11-30 16:21:04 

In reply to Jumpstart
If cricket is a Public good, as the Prime Ministers of Grenada and SVG tells us, than government must assist
I have been arguing this with Point about this for over 20 years, who blames everyone for not assisting The Invisible man and Devon Smith, Larr should even had pitched in, to help him.
The Primary schools in Barbados during the had a nation cricket coach , the first one I attended his teaching was Foffie Williams, then Sir Everton, I believe Seymour Nurse was also a national cricket coach.
Masters used to play on Highschool teams, with students.
The sport is now professional, earlier programs will not work, that why it should be modernized.
That county system was a finishing school for many of our players, we dropped the ball when that period ended.
Bro, take a minute to look at the experience gained on the T20 circuit by Pollard, Bravo, Gayle and others.

camos 2020-11-30 20:54:29 

In reply to Jumpstart

I dunno if its the role of governments. You cant blame governments for the maladministration of the WICB/CWI/WICBC

the governments have already spend more money on cricket than any other sport! Has the CWI collected any money from the CPL outstanding debt?

openning 2020-11-30 21:11:52 

In reply to camos
Which sport bring the most revenue into the Islands?
I don't expect Governments to do the work of the CWI, but if you live outside the region, you will see the amount of money put into the schools and junior programs by cities and states.

camos 2020-11-30 22:52:38 

In reply to openning

but if you live outside the region, you will see the amount of money put into the schools and junior programs by cities and states.

other than parks and facilities , most youth programs are private in the US, across every sports. That has its problem in that , the more wealthy play the more expensive sports.

openning 2020-12-01 00:06:28 

In reply to camos
Football is played in Highschool here, Basketball was part of the program, but government here only support friend and the Oil and Gas industry.
Two of my best friend sons had scholarships, the oldest one went to Weber State, he was drafted #1 by the Edmonton Eskimos, $29000 .
The other son when to a school in Washington state, to play basketball.

camos 2020-12-01 00:31:06 

In reply to openning

Yeah football is probably the only youth sport in NA that depends heavily on high school, basketball depends on elite youth programs that play all year.

openning 2020-12-01 01:02:00 

In reply to camos
Last year we went to Spokane Washington to watched our grandson play Basketball, he is in the 14 years group, they played against a 12-13 years old group, and good killed.
Baskeball programs seem to be very high in the states, compared to Alberta.

rillo 2020-12-01 05:09:10 

In reply to Courtesy

I would go further and say that our young cricketers with potential have to be given the opportunity to broaden their horizons.
Just like the best of our teams in the 70-80's playing most of their cricket in England. The same opportunity must be given to these youngsters. England has the best coaches and facilities for a young and upcoming cricketer.
CWI needs to invest in these kids and pay them a monthly salary and pay for their room and board .Not saying 1st class cricket but places could be found in 2 nd -4th division .
Is it out of the realm maybe? I know smaller clubs in England cannot afford to pay an overseas player so let us send them for "free" . Invest in them .I am sure within a year or two bigger clubs will come calling.
The exposure will be priceless instead of our dreary and drab local competition.
Their development will be watched by CWI n if they slack off or are wrong they can be replaced.

Slipfeeler 2020-12-01 14:10:13 

In reply to openning

My friend, please read my last sentence before responding to my input.

Courtesy 2020-12-01 17:23:57 

In reply to rillo

CWI must do a proper problem identification and react in the most cost effective manner. There are no shortcuts to this. Act with urgency or keep our mouths shut when our team fails colossally.

openning 2020-12-01 18:11:02 

In reply to Slipfeeler
Saying all that, is there a place in Jamaica that is geared to the development of a young cricketer?
Even when there was an academy, only a few cricketers benefitted from it, there is a need for satellites
and better club structures.
I watched videos of the first match against NZ A, and batsman were either bowled or LBW, not able to get that left foot forward, it reminds me of going to group classes.Who is Blackwood, Campbell, Brathwaite, Hope batting coach?

Jumpstart 2020-12-01 18:17:38 

In reply to camos

Exactly. Hoss the WICB is responsible for the destruction of cricket's equivalent of the Roman Empire.......just for that, they deserve dissolution

Drapsey 2020-12-01 20:48:19 

This thread sounds like we're not happy with the WICB brass.

It didn't take long.