The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

YARDIES/JAMERICANS: REMEMBER JOHN MELBOURNE?

Emir 2021-07-31 12:00:35 

Folks back in the early 1980's- prior to the mass consumer internet, social media, mobile phones etc, West Indians living in the USA in places such as NYC got very limited news from back home. Many would have gone to WI stores to buy one week old newspaper or go to the international newspaper store in 42nd St to get newspapers from back home.

A 10 minute call to relatives would have cost around $12.00 quite a tidy sum for a minimum wage of $3.50 or so.

Cricket lovers also had problems staying up to date with our lovely sport, but the one man who made it easy and glued the diverse WI community is a man name JOHN MELBOURNE, I may have the spelling incorrect, he worked for a proud black radio station called WLIB in NYC. He was a clerical worker.

John was creative, he convinced the management of WLIB to allot air time to provide cricket news. That weekly 30 minutes was gold.

He was creative, he arranged for a dedicated telephone line were WI were able to call in and get live score update- this meant that he had to update the score every 15 minutes.

As we reflect on what we have today in technology, we never miss anything, but back in the early 80's it was vastly different but John Melbourne was a pioneer and his efforts to bring cricket news to WEST INDIANS IN THE DISAPORA deserved recognition and I do hope an award, if it hasn't already BEEN given

camos 2021-07-31 12:46:15 

In reply to Emir

was not that good but gave useful information!

tc1 2021-07-31 13:10:36 

In reply to Emir

John was an accountant at WLIB, he provided good information and as you stated the 30 minutes was gold, in fact at one stage the station carried test cricket.

Emir 2021-07-31 13:16:01 

In reply to camos

Cams, he was a pioneer, he did the best with the very limited resources he/we had back then.

I am really surprise you are not more grateful and appreciative.

Think back to that era and put it in context.

Emir 2021-07-31 13:17:46 

In reply to tc1

in fact at one stage the station carried test cricket.

I remembered that, just imagine how much convincing had to be done. I look back at those days the impetus for what we have today

camos 2021-07-31 13:45:53 

there was a regular guest Guyanese ,who was living in Long Island can't remember his name. John was helpful but hard to listen! the call in show was good.

Emir 2021-07-31 14:01:25 

In reply to camos

Technology back then in AM radio low frequency with John being remote etc.

I just like to appreciate and be grateful for his efforts. Its comes across as very harsh, petty and ungrateful to dismissively make comments such as "hard to listen." John was not even trained in radio

hubert 2021-07-31 14:19:47 

In reply to Emir

I faintly recall a guy on that same station in early 70s. Don't think it
a Melbourne but he a Saturday evening/night deal and provided good info
about Caribbean. i think he was a Jamaican, Can't recall his name.

JoeGrine 2021-07-31 14:41:51 

John Melbourne's contribution then was a breath of fresh air. I must add that I loved his theme song "Domino Time".

John Melbourne, a modest and hard working guy that I have met thru both our vocations.

Emir 2021-07-31 15:27:42 

In reply to JoeGrine

cool

tc1 2021-07-31 16:26:02 

In reply to Emir

It was great to hear cricket on the air, I too am drawing a blank on the Guyanese
fellow name.

camos 2021-07-31 17:33:16 

In reply to tc1

Was the Guyanese Keith?

XDFIX 2021-07-31 19:35:44 

In reply to Emir

As we reflect on what we have today in technology, we never miss anything, but back in the early 80's it was vastly different but John Melbourne was a pioneer and his efforts to bring cricket news to WEST INDIANS IN THE DISAPORA deserved recognition and I do hope an award, if it hasn't already BEEN given

Perhaps his name could be tagged to a stadium or even a stand, ask Wally-1!

tc1 2021-07-31 21:04:10 

In reply to camos

No, his name was not Keith, it may come back to me later.

VINCYPOWA 2021-07-31 22:58:23 

In reply to hubert

Don Bobb??

CWWeekes 2021-08-01 00:55:44 

In reply to Emir
Remember those days. Grateful to guys like John Melbourne and Claude Tait who kept us abreast of cricket happenings.

Camos is the name that you are looking for Cosmo Hamilton? He is Guyanese and used to contribute to cricket news on WLIB back then.

tc1 2021-08-01 01:18:40 

In reply to camos

Claude Taitt was his name as .mentioned by Weekes.

Yadi 2021-08-01 16:24:41 

In reply to Emir

I opted for Shortwave Radio and BBC.

camos 2021-08-01 16:43:57 

In reply to CWWeekes

Bro ! you have excellent memory.

Initially Claude Tait was the host, John would be a periodic guest, then he eventually took over the program.

was a program called "on the ball"

camos 2021-08-01 16:49:03 

was that station reformatted and turned into a 24 hour talk radio?

jahmekyah 2021-08-01 17:05:49 

I remembered those days with fond memories, I think it change to gospel in 2013/2014
not sure what year

jahmekyah 2021-08-01 17:11:56 

During that time Dahved Levy, rockin ,you Rockin you was one of their more prominent DJ

camos 2021-08-01 17:16:19 

In reply to jahmekyah

lol lol I think he was big time dance promoter, he came on just when my interest changed.

StumpCam 2021-08-01 19:01:20 

In reply to Emir

Folks back in the early 1980's- prior to the mass consumer internet, social media, mobile phones etc, West Indians living in the USA in places such as NYC got very limited news from back home. Many would have gone to WI stores to buy one week old newspaper or go to the international newspaper store in 42nd St to get newspapers from back home.

Great post! Thanks for the reminder of those very frustrating days as a cricket fan.
But, Uncle Emir, I heard it from very good source that getting the newspaper was not your primary purpose on 42nd St. big grin

hubert 2021-08-01 19:29:19 

In reply to StumpCam
I aint touching this

big grin

Emir 2021-08-01 19:40:31 

In reply to StumpCam

[quote]
I heard it from very good source that getting the newspaper was not your primary purpose on 42nd St. big grin[quote]

Well ah won't lie- once the devil got the batter of me and I did take a lil peep show to satisfy my curiosity- I was in my early 50's then and up that point I never did fell prey.

And in case you are wondering, I felt the peep show was under-rated. I recall being very nervous going into the booth, I dropped the bag holding the coveted one week old Sunday edition Trinidad Guardian, Express and Friday Mirror. I came out after the few minutes and realized I had lost the newspapers.

Well all kinds of thing ran through my mind, as I didn't walk with more cash to buy another set, most of all I was thinking what to tell my wife when I get home with no newspaper.

Then suddenly a young lady in high heels came forward and asked- this is yours, I grabbed the bag and left, never to return lol big grin