The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Wismar Massacre

conman 2021-10-28 13:15:13 

I saw this subject brought up by CITYBOY in the rum shop, and its a fascinating subject on Guyanese racial tension

What lead to this, how could a community where over thousands of indo and african guyanese lived completely fracture into pure brutality.

From my limited understanding, this could have started from a strike from the sugar workers

Please drop any info on this topic.

Norm 2021-10-28 15:24:32 

In reply to conman
It was precipitated by an explosion on the Sony Chapman, a ferry boat from McKenzie to Georgetown, that killed many Blacks.

steveo 2021-10-29 02:37:10 

In reply to Norm

Yeah, but why did they take it out on the indos? As far as I know there was nothing linking any indos to that deed. It was certainly a move by the British to leave Guyana in a state of division.

The violence meted out to the indos in a blind rage is similar to Bush bombing Iraq for 9/11. Easy targets.

Norm 2021-10-29 04:21:36 

In reply to steveo

The party responsible for the bomb had never been identified, as far as I know.

Casper 2021-10-29 05:59:50 

I thought there were no racial tensions across the Caribbean.

conman 2021-10-29 19:33:17 

In reply to steveo

Yeah, but why did they take it out on the indos? As far as I know there was nothing linking any indos to that deed. It was certainly a move by the British to leave Guyana in a state of division.

Not too sure about this part, if anything the british helped the indo guyanese from certain doom. One of the first events before bedlam was the strike at the sugar estate, tension started when 2 afro- guyanese crossed the picket line. If thats the case then its just a sad event....workers wanted more money, 2 just wanted work, and the boss wins while the working class looses

googley 2021-10-29 19:39:03 

The British were masters of divide and conquer. They successfully implemented that strategy all over the world, including Guyana.

conman 2021-10-29 20:17:16 

In reply to googley

No doubt, but i dont think thats the case with this

If anything the british helped where the police force wouldnt

Norm 2021-10-29 21:38:05 

In reply to conman

Not too sure about this part, if anything the british helped the indo guyanese from certain doom. One of the first events before bedlam was the strike at the sugar estate, tension started when 2 afro- guyanese crossed the picket line. If thats the case then its just a sad event....workers wanted more money, 2 just wanted work, and the boss wins while the working class looses

Facts, or just your opinion, that somehow seems to end up blaming "2 afro-guyanese"? Amazing!

steveo 2021-10-30 20:00:24 

In reply to conman

There is so little info available about these events.

When the story is not fully fleshed out, I always look at the "mode of operation" of the parties involved.

The british have always done things like this when leaving a territory, they create warring factions, making it easy for them to control going forward

Ninetenjack 2021-10-31 01:51:32 

Please read "The West on Trial" by Cheddi Jagan for answers to this and many other events of that era.

Alan 2021-10-31 04:13:13 

In reply to conman
Remember this period way back in time.Racial conflict between Guyanese Indians and blacks.Shows tribalism is unfortunately a basic human trait.You still see it today in the modern world.