The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

2 days to go and not a single...

culpepperboy 2021-10-30 09:56:40 

...conkie sighting. Well played conkie hoarders, well played. cool

cherri 2021-10-30 14:40:25 

In reply to culpepperboy

You....hold a chill, conkies are prominent around the end of November, you may see one or two early, but hold yuh horses out pon culpepper till round month end whey the conkies will be licking cork, and btw, people who like things like conkies should be able to mek dem, just sain....... wink

culpepperboy 2021-10-30 19:36:24 

In reply to cherri

Listen wunnuh ain't tricking me with dat "wait til de end of November" scam again.
Last year I there waiting and wunnuh bad minded stingy Bajan posters stop there and eat all of wunnuh selfish conkies.

I ain't even smell one far more eat it. cool

cherri 2021-10-30 21:49:10 

In reply to culpepperboy

Like I said, if yuh like conkies so much learn tuh mek, then yuh could have whenever yuh want and yuh ent got tuh be waiting pon nuh stingy bajans.......me and my crew having a conkie do on Nov.27 God willing, if yuh want two lemme me know. btw....how de la Palma ash and smoke treating you?

JayMor 2021-10-30 23:40:23 

In reply to culpepperboy

Oh, I see. I couldn't help but be curious... It's a treat in the Yard too, going by any of three names: 'banana-tie-a-leaf', 'dokunu' (the original Akan Twi word), or 'blue drawers' (must have some historical significance). I don't recall it being for a particular time of year in our case.
      I was at party in San Juan (PR) once and excitement mounted as this dessert was served. What else? LOL. They did it in aluminium foil instead of banana leaf.

--Æ.

culpepperboy 2021-10-31 04:37:51 

In reply to cherri

How I could mek conkies when wunnuh got a trade embargo on conkie ingredients? cool

culpepperboy 2021-10-31 04:43:16 

In reply to cherri

btw....how de la Palma ash and smoke treating you?

Between the La Soufrierre and La Palma ash I gine got to rename Culpepper Island to La Palma Soufrierre.

This ash/dust combination got my sinuses in trouble.

FuzzyWuzzy 2021-10-31 12:10:13 

In reply to JayMor

They were originally served round Nov 5th, guy fawkes day but as we left colonialism and went to independence on Nov 30, conkies moved too

StumpCam 2021-10-31 12:20:19 

In reply to JayMor

In Guyana my mom would make conkies too when I was a kid , but without any significance attached to it as far as I can recall.

alfa1975 2021-10-31 17:16:53 

In reply to JayMor Is not the same thing that in T&T, they call pastels?.

JayMor 2021-11-01 00:07:39 

In reply to Alfa1975
Man, you are right!! That's exactly what they call it in Puerto Rico-- 'pasteles'! You just jogged my memory. So it's in T&T too, eh? Cool.

In reply to Stumpie
I was in the company of an 80+ y.o. GTer this afternoon and asked him if he knows of sth like that. His response was quick and easy: "We call it 'conkie'". So, yes, I am now aware. Seems like it's all over the Caribbean.

In reply to Fuzzy
Yes, one Bajie on the Ghana forum I post on apprised me of that last night. The currently more popular name in Ghana for the treat is 'kenkey', which he tells me is what the Bajan/Guyanese word 'conkie' springs from. [A couple hours ago I continued the discussion here.]

--Æ.

rockmikee 2021-11-01 07:31:10 

Thank you for your sharing,That's pretty cool.
sponsored links