The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Ernest Wilson, of the Clarendonians

Chrissy 2021-11-03 13:29:48 

Ernest Wilson, founding member of the Clarendonians, dies at 69

He would have been 70 on the 18th

Ernest Wilson, founding member of the Clarendonians, dies at 69

Ernest Wilson died on Tuesday at the Kingston Public Hospital. He was 69
Ernest Wilson, a founding member of the Clarendonians, died on Tuesday at the Kingston Public Hospital, his son Michael Wilson confirmed to The Gleaner. He was 69 and would have celebrated his 70th birthday this month on the 18th.

Born Fitzroy Ernest Wilson, he was just a teenager when he formed the Clarendonians with his childhood friend, Peter Austin, in 1965.

One of the most successful ska and early reggae groups in Jamaica, they were together for a short span of time, but delivered hits such as You Won't See Me, You Can't Be Happy, Rudie Bam Bam, Rude Boy Gone A Jail and Sho-Be-Do I Love You.

jacksprat 2021-11-03 14:23:23 

He had been struggling with health issues for some time.

RIP. We are losing a generation of artistes, daily, who provided the soundtrack to our youth.

Brerzerk 2021-11-03 14:30:29 

In reply to jacksprat
I felt it coming when I saw the interview and how bad his leg was.

Then when one saw the interview with the other member who is a dozen yrs. his senior and how good

a shape he was in. A very nice jovial guy that Ernest. Great voice and underrated guitarist.

The bar privilege of cabaret singers in the facilities in which they perform led to a vice

some couldn't overcome. RIP Ernie and thanks for the great entertainment.I am glad you

never went through any long term suffering. ONE LOVE!

Brerzerk 2021-11-03 14:45:17 

By the way Ernest's best recording is the solo Undying love. To see him play the lead guitar bridge on it is something to behold.

He also teamed up with Harold Butler to do a wonderful ballad 'Let True Love Be Your Right On Man' Clarendonians recordings are special though

Chrissy 2021-11-03 15:04:45 

In reply to Brerzerk

Yep re the bar

JoeGrine 2021-11-03 15:38:08 

In reply to Brerzerk

He also teamed up with Harold Butler to do a wonderful ballad 'Let True Love Be Your Right On Man

Easily one of the best ballads ever produced by a local artist.

Brerzerk 2021-11-03 16:02:26 

Oh Rhatid now Seeco Patterson gone too. Living to 90 is a blessing though. I met Seeco 10yrs. after Bob's passing.

jacksprat 2021-11-03 16:15:02 

In reply to Brerzerk

When Jacob Miller died that Sunday afternoon in 1980 on Hope Rd Seeco shouted to us in another car at the stoplight at Hope/Trafalgar Rds that it was Jakes who was in the car.

I knew one of his daughters, Marcia Willie, quite well.

Brerzerk 2021-11-03 16:27:55 

In reply to jacksprat
When Bob was shot as claimed by a British writer who used to stay at 56 Hope Road- Long silence after gunmen left until Seeco shouted B....Cl.... Seaga sen' im' man dem fi come kill Bob!!!!

nissan 2021-11-03 16:30:35 

I got into his earlier recordings as a result of these two songs in the late 80s/early 90s

Link Text

Seeing Jammys logo in this vid - not sure why

Link Text

hubert 2021-11-03 16:41:47 

In reply to Chrissy

We have lost another very good voice and artist...I used to sing or hum 'You won't see me' all the time back in the day.
I still do sometimes..was a varouite group of mine,The youthful Clarendonians.

Thanks and RIP Ernie.

Chrissy 2021-11-03 20:34:09 

In reply to JoeGrine

Wicked wicked ballad fi true

Chrissy 2021-11-03 20:34:34 

In reply to hubert

A generation is departing cry