The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Michelangelo (1475–1564)

sgtdjones 2021-11-06 17:12:04 

Michelangelo (1475–1564)

Michelangelo was born on March 6, 1475, in Caprese, Italy, the second of five sons. When Michelangelo was born, his father, Leonardo di Buonarrota Simoni, was briefly serving as a magistrate in the small village of Caprese. The family returned to Florence when Michelangelo was still an infant. His mother, Francesca Neri, was ill, so Michelangelo was placed with a family of stonecutters, where he later jested, "With my wet-nurse's milk, I sucked in the hammer and chisels I use for my statues. "Michelangelo was less interested in schooling than watching the painters at nearby churches and drawing what he saw, according to his earliest biographers (Vasari, Condivi and Varchi). It may have been his grammar school friend, Francesco Granacci, six years his senior, who introduced Michelangelo to painter Domenico Ghirlandaio. Michelangelo's father realized early on that his son had no interest in the family financial business, so he agreed to apprentice him, at the age of 13, to Ghirlandaio and the Florentine painter's fashionable workshop. Although he never married, Michelangelo was devoted to a pious and noble widow named Vittoria Colonna, the subject and recipient of many of his more than 300 poems and sonnets. Their friendship remained a great solace to Michelangelo until Colonna's death in 1547.

This was a fertile time for Michelangelo; his years with the the powerful Medici family permitted him access to the social elite of Florence — allowing him to study under the respected sculptor Bertoldo di Giovanni and exposing him to prominent poets, scholars and learned humanists. He also obtained special permission from the Catholic Church to study cadavers for insight into anatomy, though exposure to corpses had an adverse effect on his health. Two relief sculptures that survive, "Battle of the Centaurs" and "Madonna Seated on a Step," are testaments to his phenomenal talent at the tender age of 16.

There are several versions of an intriguing story about Michelangelo's famed "Cupid" sculpture, which was artificially "aged" to resemble a rare antique: One version claims that Michelangelo aged the statue to achieve a certain patina, and another version claims that his art dealer buried the sculpture (an "aging" method) before attempting to pass it off as an antique. Cardinal Riario of San Giorgio bought the "Cupid" sculpture, believing it as such, and demanded his money back when he discovered he'd been duped. Strangely, in the end, Riario was so impressed with Michelangelo's work that he let the artist keep the money. The cardinal even invited the artist to Rome, where Michelangelo would live and work for the rest of his life.

Though Michelangelo's brilliant mind and copious talents earned him the regard and patronage of the wealthy and powerful men of Italy, he had his share of detractors. He sometimes fell into spells of melancholy, which were recorded in many of his literary works: "I am here in great distress and with great physical strain, and have no friends of any kind, nor do I want them; and I do not have enough time to eat as much as I need; my joy and my sorrow/my repose are these discomforts," he wrote once. In his youth, Michelangelo had taunted a fellow student and received a blow to the nose that disfigured him for life. Over the years, he suffered increasing infirmities from the rigors of his work; in one of his poems, he documented the tremendous physical strain that he endured by painting the Sistine Chapel ceiling.

Michelangelo's moved to Rome in 1498, the cardinal Jean Bilhères de Lagraulas, a representative of the French King Charles VIII to the pope, commissioned "Pieta," a sculpture of Mary holding the dead Jesus across her lap. Michelangelo, who was just 25 years old at the time, finished his work in less than one year, and the statue was erected in the church of the cardinal's tomb. At 6 feet wide and nearly as tall, the statue has been moved five times since, to its current place of prominence at St. Peter's Basilica in Vatican City.

Between 1501 and 1504, Michelangelo took over a commission for a statue of "David," which two prior sculptors had previously attempted and abandoned, and turned the 17-foot piece of marble into a dominating figure. Originally commissioned for the cathedral of Florence, the Florentine government instead installed the statue in front of the Palazzo Vecchio. It now lives in Florence’s Accademia Gallery.

Pope Julius II asked Michelangelo to switch from sculpting to painting to decorating the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel, which the artist revealed on October 31, 1512. The project fueled Michelangelo’s imagination, and the original plan for 12 apostles morphed into more than 300 figures on the ceiling of the sacred space. (The work later had to be completely removed soon after due to an infectious fungus in the plaster, then recreated.) Michelangelo fired all of his assistants, whom he deemed inept, and completed the 65-foot ceiling alone, spending endless hours on his back and guarding the project jealously until completion.

The resulting masterpiece is a transcendent example of High Renaissance art incorporating the symbiology, prophecy and humanist principles of Christianity that Michelangelo had absorbed during his youth. Michelangelo unveiled the soaring "Last Judgment" on the far wall of the Sistine Chapel in 1541. There was an immediate outcry that the nude figures were inappropriate for so holy a place, and a letter called for the destruction of the Renaissance's largest fresco.

He continued to work on the tomb of Julius II, which the pope had interrupted for his Sistine Chapel commission, for the next several decades. Michelangelo also designed the Medici Chapel and the Laurentian Library — located opposite the Basilica San Lorenzo in Florence — to house the Medici book collection. These buildings are considered a turning point in architectural history. But Michelangelo's crowning glory in the field came when he was made chief architect of St. Peter's Basilica in 1546.

In 1532, Michelangelo developed an attachment to a young nobleman, Tommaso dei Cavalieri, and wrote dozens of romantic sonnets dedicated to Cavalieri.
Despite this, scholars dispute whether this was a platonic or a homosexual relationship. Michelangelo died on February 18, 1564 — just weeks before his 89th birthday — at his home in Macel de'Corvi, Rome, following a brief illness.

A nephew bore his body back to Florence, where he was revered by the public as the "father and master of all the arts." He was laid to rest at the Basilica di Santa Croce — his chosen place of burial. Appreciation of Michelangelo's artistic mastery has endured for centuries, and his name has become synonymous with the finest humanist tradition of the Renaissance.

Excerpts from two biographies about his life:
Giorgio Vasari...called "the first art historian"...1511-1574
Ascanio Condivi.... The life of Michel-Angelo.....1525 -1574

XDFIX 2021-11-06 17:53:17 

In reply to sgtdjones

A master of his art, no question about his artistic contribution!

velo 2021-11-06 20:57:34 

he was responsble for painting the most common religious image of jesus the blond eyed blue haired man

Alan 2021-11-06 21:32:56 

In reply to velo
An image that was FALSE...or are you being sarcastic And yuh got it the wrong way round.
big grin

Alan 2021-11-06 21:34:34 

In reply to sgtdjones
I swear you are morphing into BARRY every day with these long posts.
big grin

sgtdjones 2021-11-06 22:48:16 

In reply to Alan

barry is my hero for stupidity.

I must keep up the long posts, his makes no sense . My does.

lol lol

sgtdjones 2021-11-06 22:50:06 

In reply to velo

he was responsble for painting the most common religious image of jesus the blond eyed blue haired man

barry has all the statues, he loves blond, blue-eyed men.

Just ask him?

lol

velo 2021-11-07 14:05:48 

In reply to Alannobody believes that image is true i'm just pointing out he was the man behind the image commonly depicted in most religious christian works

Alan 2021-11-07 14:34:09 

In reply to velo
But it is amazing isnt it how white people (historians painters etc)have bastardised EVERYTHING...History and even Jesus Christ.Present a sanitised version of history and presented the blatant propaganda to the gullible world as THE TRUTH.Even Jesus Christ has not been left alone.When common sense alone would tell you.Christ could not have had long blonde hair and blue eyes and looked like a northern European.The Bible tells us he had hair like lambs wool.
lol