The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Windies selectors have lost the plot

sgtdjones 2021-11-09 19:53:31 

Windies selectors have lost the plot

FROM whatever angle we observe the 2021 WorldCupT20, which is almost completed, West Indies’ non-performance will be the subject occupying the minds and hearts of Caribbean people.The results are such that blame could be cast everywhere.
The poor efforts of the batsmen are first on the list. Next is the preparation of the team. Then, the selection of the squad was short on imagination and deficient in knowledge.

The players, of course, did not choose themselves; hence the selectors are to blame. The squad ought to have been a balance of experience and youth and not weighted on one side or the other.

And that is what it means to be a good selector. To do these things right and get the best results, one has to have an eye for talent, the ability of a youngster in whom one can see the potential that only needs exposure. Just like the present senior players, who had been chosen in the past because of the vision of selectors of the day.

Link Text

googley 2021-11-09 19:55:25 

In reply to sgtdjones

we all knew that when they rubber stamped Pouty's team razz

sgtdjones 2021-11-09 20:00:48 

In reply to googley

I fear WI teams are weak because the selectors are.

Led by the Chief selecta ....

lol lol lol

Narper 2021-11-09 21:17:09 

Chris Gayle was a thoughtless selection. He’s 42 years old and has struggled with the bat for one international 50 since 2016. He’s sluggish in the field and while batting, his footwork is too lazy against the spinners, plus his reflexes are too slow for the faster bowlers. He received a medical exemption from CWI because they knew he could not pass a fitness test. He also treated all games in a light-hearted manner.

Narper 2021-11-09 21:18:13 

Andre Russell is lame. A blind man could see that. He has been plagued with physical fitness problems for a long time and it certainly got the better of him this time. He was also injured in the IPL and has been out of the game for a month.

Narper 2021-11-09 21:18:22 

Lendl Simmons is 37 years old and is past his best, not now but for some time. A selector who knows his cricket will observe that without having to be told.

Windiesfan78 2021-11-09 21:44:44 

For years players have been recycled. I am not sure why some players weren't given more opportunities.

Dukes 2021-11-09 22:09:14 

In reply to sgtdjones

Lendl Simmons is 37 years old and is past his best, not now but for some time.

Kieron Pollard at 34 years old, has not been scoring runs in franchise cricket and never looked at ease in these international games. He’s a main man in this lineup and if he’s not firing, the entire team is affected.
I feel certain he did not undergo a fitness test before the series but had a medical exemption; additionally, he has been having problems with his fitness throughout the year. He opted out of the Bangladesh tour earlier this year because of the pandemic, but travelled to the Middle East to participate in a T10 tournament. And he’s the captain?

Ravi Rampaul, at 36, is not up to international standard any more and everyone except WI selectors recognised this. No fitness test for him either.

Somebody gave Bryan Truth serum eeh??

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

TheTrail 2021-11-09 22:12:53 

Brian Davis, are you okay?

Someone, please take his temperature. I never knew you

had it in you to switch gears, lordie!!

sgtdjones 2021-11-09 22:41:55 

In reply to Narper

Davis can be nasty .... cool

sgtdjones 2021-11-09 22:43:06 

In reply to Dukes

As we all can see it was a retirement tourney for some players.

It will get better...

lol

dayne 2021-11-09 23:27:10 

The Selectors did not lose their plot, they just had a bad one.

imusic 2021-11-10 00:51:42 

Lendl Simmons is 37 years old and is past his best, not now but for some time.

Hindsight is really 20/20 yes

On this same message board, during the last CPL, there was a "competiton" between Simmons & Kennar Lewis which Simmons won handily.

Nuff people on this board agreed that Simmons would be Even Lewis's partner at the World Cup. He out performed his competition.

SO if he's been past his best for some time....but still easily outperforming the youngsters in regional competition...what does that say?

dayne 2021-11-10 01:02:44 

In reply to imusic

It says that the WI might be in bigger problems than they realize, there is a fair chance they might not qualify next time.

imusic 2021-11-10 01:57:10 

In reply to dayne

I oont believe so.

That said…..the youngsters coming through the system in T20 aren’t making it to big leagues like their predecessors.

Maybe we were spoilt in the past, but our “senior” T20 players who command contracts abroad are now:

Pooran
Hetmeyer
Allen
Lewis
Rutherford
Cotterell (who is not a youngster)
Thomas

Then there are those with potential
Hosein
Drakes
Odean Smith
Mckoy
Motie
Paul
Shepherd

That should be the code of the team with MAYBE a veteran or two from the current team….like Holder, Chase, and perhaps Pollard. And Carlos Brathwaite.

I would also like to see Shai Hope in there.

Others in the mix would be

Brandon King. Too early to give up on him
Hermaj Chanderpaul
Glenn
Bishop
Brooks
Pierre

Raisedseam 2021-11-10 02:25:36 

In reply to imusic

Remember the Name and Holder dont command contracts in BBL, IPL and the various pro leagues?

RTN team won last BBL, no?

None the leagues drafted Cottrell lately

You write off Dre Russ?

imusic 2021-11-10 02:30:48 

In reply to Raisedseam

Holder for sure.

Remember the name gets signed to franchise leagues these days more for commentary than for playing. I’ll add him anyway. He’s also not a youngster.

Raisedseam 2021-11-10 02:40:17 

In reply to imusic

Michael Vaughn question RTN absence from Pollard team

sgtdjones 2021-11-10 03:07:09 

In reply to imusic

Hosein and Pierre...spin twins for T&T

Under Polly's wings .

dayne 2021-11-10 03:07:57 

In reply to imusic

Carlos just got a contract to captain Birmingham in the English T20 league.

rillo 2021-11-10 04:44:38 

In reply to imusic

Pollard needs to be retained as captain to lead and mould the young bunch.
No one else in the Caribbean can mentor a young player as he does.
Yes he is starting to show wear and tear but his acumen is still spot on.
The young ones you mentioned is alright.
I would add the test keeper Joshua to the list.
Never knew he could play T20 until this year in CPL.
He has a good head and can rotate trike.
Would love to see him open with Lewis .Lewis bashing and him holding and turning the strike.
Yes I am Trini but he did impress me the way he batted for his franchise.

InHindsight 2021-11-10 06:02:03 

In reply to rillo

Yes I am Trini but he did impress me the way he batted for his franchise.

And because you're a Tittie you forgetting Kennar Kennar Lewis for your hommie?

bobby 2021-11-10 07:09:08 

In reply to sgtdjones

What Bryan Davis, the writer of this article and mamy posters here fail to understand is that the majority of Caribbean people DO NOT CARE. Largely it is a set of middle aged men in the diaspora who still worry about WI cricket.
And of course middle aged and elderly males in the Caribbean who have only their memories of the gol²den days.

Dukes 2021-11-10 11:44:27 

In reply to imusic

Hindsight is really 20/20 yes

On this same message board, during the last CPL, there was a "competiton" between Simmons & Kennar Lewis which Simmons won handily.

Nuff people on this board agreed that Simmons would be Even Lewis's partner at the World Cup. He out performed his competition.

SO if he's been past his best for some time....but still easily outperforming the youngsters in regional competition...what does that say?

Is there anybody who is saying that Lendl Simmons should not have been there?
As far as I can tell, the answer is resoundingly NO.
However,having gone there and failed spectacularly do we continue with him in the future?
Again, the answer is resoundingly NO
So what is your problem with this 20/20 hindsight bizniz?

Barry 2021-11-10 13:04:29 

In reply to Dukes

I feel certain you are an old arse, brother big grin feelings are feelings even when certain wink

imusic 2021-11-10 17:51:51 

In reply to Raisedseam

Michael Vaughn question RTN absence from Pollard team

Vaughn was in Barbados, on vacation, being interviewed by a bajan “reporter”, who specifically pointed out Holder and RTN.

What you think Vaughn was going to do in that situation? Say RTN didn’t deserved selection?

Man anxious to get back to he umbrella drink

openning 2021-11-10 18:12:15 

In reply to imusic
Who is RTN?

Alan 2021-11-10 19:41:19 

In reply to sgtdjones
Dem never had the plot in the first place.
big grin

tc1 2021-11-10 20:12:26 

In reply to openning

Remember The Name