The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

CWI SET TO CONSIDER GAYLE'S LAST GAME WISH SAYS SHALLOW!

XDFIX 2021-11-11 14:14:00 

Link Text

Dr. Kishore Shallow is a cricket administrator from St. Vincent and the Grenadines. He is currently the Vice President of Cricket West Indies, President of Windward Islands Cricket Board of Control, and Former President of St. Vincent and the Grenadines Cricket Association.

Dr. Shallow and Ricky Skerritt were re-elected unopposed at the end of their first tenure. Their campaign for a second successive term at the helm of Cricket West Indies was based on an upgraded Cricket First Plus plan!

brians_da_best 2021-11-11 14:29:09 

In reply to XDFIX

This the kind of nonsense that should not be encouraged. Gayle is all about Gayle, not the team, not anyone else

VoopsandOut 2021-11-11 14:45:25 

What utter nonsense. Before they consider the shambles of our WC campaign and how to get together a competitive team for the next one??

Windiesfan78 2021-11-11 15:10:00 

In reply to brians_da_best

I wouldn't go as far as saying that Gayle is all about himself and not the team. He has made invaluable contributions to W.I and was there in the qualifying tournament for the ODI World Cup when others deserted the team. Is Gayle arrogant? The answer is yes. Does he care about the team? I believe he does. However, I don't think he should be selected again. His performances don't merit a place on this team and he is well past what he used to be. There is no room for sentiment in a team that needs to start looking to rebuild.

googley 2021-11-11 15:15:08 

Can you still honor him without being selected? Have a special ceremony before the game, perhaps?

XDFIX 2021-11-11 15:54:03 

In reply to googley

A good option!

sgtdjones 2021-11-11 15:55:54 

“It’s been a phenomenal career. I didn’t announce any retirement, but they actually give me one game in Jamaica to go in front of my home crowd, then I can say ‘hey guys, thank you so much.’ Let’s see,” said Gayle after Australia’s eight-wicket win against the West Indies.

Way ta goooooooooo UB....

cool

Windiesfan78 2021-11-11 16:46:47 

In reply to googley

He had his swansong already. He had a guard of honour from both teams. Thanks for the memories boss but it is time to go. What nore should he get, a statue perhaps?

powen001 2021-11-11 17:59:21 

In reply to XDFIX

I am all about a Decent send off for the LAST of our BONAFIDE HEROES and definitely most colourful and humourous entertainer Christopher Henry Gayle.

dat is all.

openning 2021-11-11 18:08:18 

In reply to powen001
A benefit T20 match to thank the UB, with the proceeds going to his charity is all that is needed.

FuzzyWuzzy 2021-11-11 18:10:27 

In reply to openning

Good idea

Maispwi 2021-11-11 18:10:42 

How many last wishes does Gayle get?

The ODI WC was one where he said he would retire at the end then reversed his decision in order to break a record

The ODI series vs India following the WC was another where he got to break the record

The T20 WC was yet another

Why is this administration trying to overcompensate for the perceived wrongs of their predecessors?

WestDem 2021-11-11 18:10:57 

Selfish prick...gweh nah!

Maispwi 2021-11-11 18:15:02 

In reply to powen001

How many decent send offs does he need? He has had 3 in the last 2 years and the team has suffered in all three neither did he set the world alight. So will dis continue until he feels dat he has entertained?

Why set a dangerous precedent where players dictate when they leave the scene regardless of form?

hubert 2021-11-11 18:19:52 

In reply to powen001
While they are at it, the Administration should arrange a departure too for themselves,selctors et al
since setting precdence is becoming the norm

rolleyes

Drapsey 2021-11-11 18:22:27 

In reply to XDFIX

That facting Gayle is way too selfish.

All the facter wants is another "Mad dem, Crampy!" shout out from Chrissy.

After 21 years of the same $hit, him still not satisfied.

openning 2021-11-11 18:25:25 

Is there any love in West Indies fans?

InHindsight 2021-11-11 18:35:04 

If the Skerrit/Shallow admin accede to Gayle's request I think they should be booted out of office

rillo 2021-11-11 18:43:17 

Did they treat Viv, Greenidge, Haynes, Lloyd, Lara ,Holding, Roberts, Garner, Ambrose to such sendoffs?
Come on Gayle got his sendoff at the WC.
ENOUGH OF THIS SHYTE AND HIM.
Instead the whole CWI Board should be tendering their resignations seeing how all of out teams are below standard.
Skeritt promises are all looking shallow now.
Jeffrey Stollmyer was our last progressive President of WI cricket.

Since this bunch of jokers have taken over with Hall and co to today our cricket has gone spiraling downwards.
Skeritt needs to wake up and get serious.
All of his selectors and head coach should be fired. Start there.

Star 2021-11-11 19:03:20 

In reply to XDFIX
With the unforgivable treatment of past greats still lingerin in the hallways of WI cricket and the assurance from Mr Jimmy Adams, Mr Skerritt and Mr Shallow that current and future WI greats will no longer be mistreated, maligned or disrespected, I agree with Dr Shallow's statement.

Christopher Henry Gayle should be accorded his wish of ending his illustrious career and omen service to WI cricket by playing his final game for WI at his home ground in Jamaica.

It is sad that idiots on this blog would seek to dismiss the wishes of this great WI cricket ambassador, forgetting all the happiness he brought to fans all over the world through his batsmanship on the cricket pitch.

I congratulate you Dr Shallow for being a visionary with your comments. CWI is slowly becoming a player friendly organisation and that can only be good for the future of WI cricket.

I look forward to seeing Christopher Henry Gayle in his final game for WI at Sabina Park, Jamaica.

Narper 2021-11-11 19:13:44 

In reply to sgtdjones

then I can say ‘hey guys, thank you so much.

Otherwise is cuss in dem skunts big grin big grin

Halliwell 2021-11-11 19:27:36 

In reply to openning

Great idea this match for charity.
No competitive game for UB I am afraid.

But take care he say at the end of it I ent retire yet folks

lol

Barry 2021-11-11 19:30:49 

In reply to powen001
What a hypocrite you are .. the last of shit.

hubert 2021-11-11 21:49:12 

In reply to Drapsey

21 years..that's half his life..He probably has the record of having the longest continuous International career
for the West Indies..by career span Headley had 24 years from 1930 to 1954 but that was not continuous as he lost more than
8 years to World War 2 from 39-48 and again from 48 to 54 when he was brought home by people's subscription to play the 1st Test at Sabina against Hutton's team.

That was a bit more understandable as two generations of Jamaicans never saw him play in a Test,his previous one was in 1935 as he missed the 1948 Test
which he should have captained. That injury gave sap to his statement' send for Weekes' and the rest is history..5 consecutive Tons by E Dec.

Headley's thing was people's movement They gave their pennies and shillings to the fund to pay his way back home.They wanted to see him play.
Many people now are probably more likely pay to see Gayle leave.

It's better when people Call for U than you call for yourself.

Star 2021-11-11 22:48:34 

In reply to hubert

Many people now are probably more likely pay to see Gayle leave.

That may be true but with all due respect, you are missing the point.

This is about moving away from mistreating people. I don't think you need any examples of the way WI management treated its great players in the past. Christopher Henry Gayle should not be treated in that manner.

FuzzyWuzzy 2021-11-11 22:51:44 

In reply to Star

There's a thin line between treating with respect and pampering.

Star 2021-11-11 23:34:19 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy
You are correct. There is also a thin line between pampering and treating with respect.

Take your pick.

FuzzyWuzzy 2021-11-11 23:57:22 

In reply to Star

If he was performing, even at 42, it would be respectful.

If he is failing for last 2 years, it is pampering

Kay 2021-11-12 00:38:51 

Well Shallow just considering it .... may not happen.

WestDem 2021-11-12 01:20:53 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

lol lol

WestDem 2021-11-12 01:22:32 

In reply to Star

Didn’t Shiv top scored in his last ODI and was retired?

carl0002 2021-11-12 01:33:15 

smh shock

Raisedseam 2021-11-12 01:48:59 

Gayle um er ah tail wagging the dog!

seko 2021-11-12 02:33:47 

Great nonsense prevailed during the WC . No more should be tolerated by the Caribbean people.

imusic 2021-11-12 02:56:54 

I agree with openning. A testimonial match is more than in order.

He was already afforded a send off World Cup tournament, despite no form whatsoever for a year and being given umpteen chances to perform.

His performances in the T20 World Cup were embarassing to say the least.

I’m all for treating with respect. For players AND THE TEAM.

Continuing to select Chris Gayle for the West Indies TEAM disrespects the team IMO.

Raggs 2021-11-12 03:58:59 

If the public or the board arrange yes. But if you publicly begging for it no. Not classy if you crying for it.

Raggs 2021-11-12 03:59:00 

If the public or the board arrange yes. But if you publicly begging for it no. Not classy if you crying for it.

Brerzerk 2021-11-12 04:25:17 

In reply to hubert
Hilaire spoilt that (continuous WI Int'l career) and during his best pink of form period, out for most of 2011 into 2012. Opening's charity match is the best idea so far.

Logic 2021-11-12 08:02:45 

In reply to Star

and omen service to WI cricket

Omen service indeed. Playing Gayle in another competitive match will be a dark omen of the ultimate downfall of WI cricket into an inescapable pit of comedic derision. Gayle has had his send off on several occasions already and he keeps coming back for more. The likes of Andy Roberts, Viv Richards, Gordon Greenidge, Shiv Chanderpaul, Malcolm Marshall and Brian Lara were still making valuable contributions to WI cricket when they were dispatched without ceremony. Gayle has been long past his sale by date for some time now. No comparison

*[Sorry. I try not to be the spelling police but your typo was so aptly irresistible]

Drapsey 2021-11-12 11:45:27 

In reply to hubert

I'm happy to see Gayle in the same 'discussion' as the great George Headly. It only underscores my continued assertion that he belongs among that group.

It's better when people Call for U than you call for yourself.

In reference to the above quote, if Gayle were to sit around and wait for 'The Call' he wouldn't have gotten the chance to achieve greatness. Some people have been calling for his demise over the entire 21-year career span.

Drapsey 2021-11-12 11:54:22 

In reply to brians_da_best

This the kind of nonsense that should not be encouraged. Gayle is all about Gayle, not the team, not anyone else

Having served in the capacity of Head Selecta, maybe you could share some of your experiences with Gayle that led to the above conclusion.

Don't be afraid now, his recent experience with the Ambi outburst must've taught him something.

hubert 2021-11-12 12:06:44 

In reply to Star
Explain 'what manner'

sudden 2021-11-12 12:19:19 

I don’t have an issue with allowing Gayle to retire in a match at Sabina provided that it will be done for those retirees who so desire, going forward

hubert 2021-11-12 12:33:04 

In reply to sudden
FAIR ENOUGH. iF THIS IS GOING TO BE A PRECEDENT, THEN SO BE IT.PITY IT CAN'T BE RETROACTIVE...FOR THE ALL THE PAST HEROES TOO..Ws, Sobers, RBK, CHL, BCL,WW HAll,Viv ,Ambrose and the 4 prong..et al.
But when is this match to be ?
Jamaica is not on the schedule for the England visit next January and March...So it will be a special Prep match for the next WC ?

Lawd have mercy.

Let the Icon pad up too . And let there be no opposition either for the Two time man of the match in both WC T20 final.

Star 2021-11-12 12:38:44 

In reply to WestDem

Didn’t Shiv top scored in his last ODI and was retired?

Are you daft? Why are you asking me that question? Is it really that difficult to understand what the issue is here?

Shiv Chanderpaul was disrespected, maligned, discarded and poorly treated by management at CWI.

The new philosophy of the organization is to ensure that such treatment of its great players will never happen again.

hubert 2021-11-12 13:01:58 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy
Pampering ? It's more sinister than that.

Star 2021-11-12 18:44:09 

In reply to Logic

*[Sorry. I try not to be the spelling police but your typo was so aptly irresistible]

They are some pretty smart contributors on this forum. They would know that "yeoman" was the intended descriptor and not "omen".

The disguised snideness in drawing the typo to my attention shows a level of intellect that should be admired. I regard you Sir!!!!!!!!!!!!