The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Did Vaughan Say That

Raggs 2021-11-15 16:13:16 

Of course he did. But in what context did he relay it to those lads. Loads of Muslim guys do not get such humour and a tongue in cheek statement like that would go over their heads but instead go straight through the heart.

sudden 2021-11-15 16:18:53 

In reply to Raggs

Lots of WIndians especially JAs don’t either big grin

Raggs 2021-11-15 16:25:22 

In reply to sudden

Very true. If you are a feverish fanatic or super patriotic then any humour on your favourite subject gonna sink quicker than a lead balloon.

Halliwell 2021-11-15 22:35:11 

In reply to Raggs

So who gets to tell Rafeek what he should have and shouldn’t have been offended at

Stewwwps

Raggs 2021-11-16 04:42:57 

In reply to Halliwell

What to say before the game Vaughan says that to break the ice before the game to ease the tension of a big televised game?
I do get the impression that he thinks he’s funny and very popular amongst his team mates when it’s the opposite. That could his biggest crime which led to this debacle.

mikesiva 2021-11-16 08:51:03 

In reply to Raggs

Vaughan lied and denied that he said that.

But three people said they heard his remarks.

Rafiq
Rana
Rashid

Why would Vaughan lie?

Hmm.

Vaughan has a track record of racism against Asian people.

He had a twitter argument after he said Moeen Ali needs to do more to prevent Islamic terrorism.

Really now!

That's like me telling you that you need to do more to prevent inner city violence in downtown Kingston.

Raggs 2021-11-16 10:46:49 

In reply to mikesiva

I simply find it hard to believe an ex England player even more a captain openingly say that to a set of Asian players and not expecting repercussions if said in a even passive way.

mikesiva 2021-11-16 11:25:02 

In reply to Raggs

Institutional racism.

He got away with these remarks for years. Rafiq spoke publicly about these issues 15 months ago, but it was ignored by the British media and the ECB. Vaughan felt he was untouchable.

It was only when cricinfo revealed aspects of that whitewashed Yorkshire report that the shit hit the fan. George Dobell spoke to Rafiq, and suddenly the British media realised that they could ignore it no more.

You've lived in the UK long enough to know that goes on right?

Raggs 2021-11-16 11:30:00 

In reply to mikesiva

Of course I do but the subtle way is…the way nowadays. To what I’m hearing right now in this live broadcast on sky sport news on the Azeem Rafiq DCMS hearing, it was bold and upfront stuff.

Emir 2021-11-16 11:47:55 

In reply to Raggs

But in what context did he relay it to those lads. Loads of Muslim guys do not get such humour and a tongue in cheek statement like that would go over their heads but instead go straight through the heart.

You are way off: You are mixing up two different things: Nationality with religion.

Vaughn has not been accused of making any anti-religion/religious statement against anyone.

He is accused of referencing two British players of Asian heritage by calling them "Paki"

I hope you get it right now, and stop you ignorance.

former England captain, had indeed observed to a group of Asian players something along the lines that there were too many of you lot and we need to do something about it.

Raggs 2021-11-16 12:09:39 

In reply to Emir

The likes of Danny Morrison, Phil Tufnell, plus of course David ‘Bumble’ Lloyd have charisma to deliver humour but Michael Vaughan has none. I’ll give him the benefit of doubt in that incident after watching the archived clips on skysports news.
He made a point of shaking everyone of the Asian guys hands before the start of play and they accepted his offer.
He may be racist but overtly racist is another thing all together.

Emir 2021-11-16 12:10:46 

In reply to Raggs

Duh? rolleyes

You are a fraud an perhaps anti Asian or anti-Muslim. I pointed you straight, you n ow come up with this crap about he has no "humor"

Wow.

Raggs 2021-11-16 12:30:46 

So when a black comedian goes on stage and delivers lines we laugh about about the white guy and Asian man what is he?

Raggs 2021-11-16 12:33:49 

I’m saying upfront in your face racism with no frills or subtle skills is a big surprise to me in the modern era coming from someone in authority.

Nick40H 2021-11-16 12:38:04 

In reply to Raggs You cannot be serious!!!

Raggs 2021-11-16 12:48:30 

In reply to Nick40H

I had to blast a top union man @ work because of his subtle way of getting his racism methods through the door. But before that incident he told me he hated a particular white dude on our shop floor because he was right wing and a total fascist which he was without any doubts but he wasn’t clever enough to hide it.

velo 2021-11-16 14:56:51 

well adil rashid the england wrist spinner has now come forward and said he heard it too from vaughan .so it ain't looking good for his credibility

Raggs 2021-11-16 15:29:51 

In reply to velo

To me there is no doubts about him saying it. He just could never own up to it in no form or content.

Overthrow 2021-11-16 16:23:22 

In reply to Raggs

I admire how you Lay out your thought process. Some see just one side of your opinions rather than view your entire context.

Raggs 2021-11-16 16:33:39 

In reply to Overthrow

Cheers bro

JOJO 2021-11-16 19:04:32 

In reply to Raggs

I’m saying upfront in your face racism with no frills or subtle skills is a big surprise to me in the modern era coming from someone in authority.

Nicely put. You seldom see explicit displays from them. They go out of their way to say the nicest things when the circumstances warrant but it completely different with their actions or private conversations.

granite 2021-11-18 00:28:18 

In reply to Raggs
You surprise me mate,since you don't know about racism in English cricket,it comes from the hierarchy,it comes from the big boys at the top.Vaughn is guilty as fuck.

Maispwi 2021-11-18 20:04:00 

So Rafiq himself is guilty of using anti Semitic language. And while ah am in no way condoning the treatment he received, it just goes to show that we all have our prejudices.

Emir 2021-11-19 01:35:53 

In reply to Maispwi

So Rafiq himself is guilty of using anti Semitic language.

This is pure crap. Criticizing Israel's apartheid is not anti semitic

Tryangle 2021-11-19 14:40:09 

In reply to Emir

Did you see the posts? It wasn't about Israel and the treatment of Palestinians.