The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Coach Simmons and Captain Brathwaite back Joshua Da Silva

CaribbeanCricket.com 2021-11-16 13:16:32 

West Indies coach Phil Simmons and Captain Kraigg Brathwaite have both backed wicketkeeper/batsman Joshua Da Silva to return to form during the upcoming two-Test series against Sri Lanka later this month.

In nine Tests, the 23-year-old Trinidadian has scored 372 runs at an average of 23.25 and has two half-centuries to his credit. He made his debut against New Zealand in Wellington in December 2020, making 57 in the West Indies' second innings.

Da Silva’s form has dipped significantly.

However, his form away has been more encouraging averaging 39 while his home average is just under 14.

“A dip like that is always a concern but his away form is a lot better than his home form so we hope that that is not a coincidence and that that is a strength of his, so we are away now and hopefully he lives up to how he started the year. Hopefully, he finishes the year like that,” Simmons said.

Read more at SportsMax

Full Story

doosra 2021-11-16 13:34:57 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

everyone except Roach should be be put on the spot

who has done better ?

Onionman0 2021-11-16 13:44:17 

Has Dowrich banished by Selectors?????

Tryangle 2021-11-16 13:54:45 

In reply to Onionman0

Has Dowrich played much recently, curious. I had heard he was playing some in the US but the sooner he can get back in the mix, discussion-wise, the better.

Andy99 2021-11-16 14:06:29 

They need to look at his batting position, I said this a year ago and it remains the same, he cannot be batting below Holder.
Da Silva is a slow scorer, he isn't one who can take charge and rally the lower order, he needs to be batting with the batsmen who can do that until he develops more. When he comes in late and is left with the tail, there isn't much hope.
I'd have Holder below him because Holder is a natural free scorer, he can and have batted well with the lower order.

Onionman0 2021-11-16 14:27:53 

In reply to Tryangle

Yes, Dowrich should be in and around test team...Silva and Dowrich both are asset....

velo 2021-11-16 14:54:24 

i think dowrich had taken up some legal action against the wicb i don't know if it was resolved

Windiesfan78 2021-11-16 18:04:07 

Dowrich was dropped because his form was going downhill. He was injured against the Kiwis and that's when Silva came into the team. Silva has done a decent job when called upon so there appears to be no room for Dowrich at the moment.

conman 2021-11-16 20:11:27 

In reply to Windiesfan78

so there appears to be no room for Dowrich at the moment.

As a fan of josh, i cant say he has done enough to make that statement true, his last few matches havent raised his stock and the only reason dowrich's name is being mentioned is b/c of his most recent scores

I hope this SL series is a breakthrough series for josh, a lot to like about him, but i do agree with andy, they need to put him in a position where his defensive play can flourish, it wouldnt hurt to open with him in a practice match or 2

Windiesfan78 2021-11-16 23:13:12 

In reply to conman

It is worth a try. Better to try it in a warm-up match.

VoopsandOut 2021-11-16 23:37:57 

In reply to Andy99

I have been posting the same as well. At this stage of his career, he is still in developmental phase and needs to bat with the better batsmen. I think that he should bat at 6. Blackwood is the best batsman for him to bat with as he is a very confident player.

Cricket_101 2021-11-17 00:30:09 

DaSilva his mentally tough and has the skills of a good batsman… His form will come around… Wish him well.