The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

While West Indies are in Sri Lanka...

Ewart 2021-11-22 15:04:00 

They should be looking to employ one of the Lankan batting coaches. Any one.

Once we lost the likes of Headley, Weekes, Worrell, Walcott, Sobers, Nuse, Butcher, Kanhai, Rowe, Adams, Richards, Richardson, Kallicharan, etc. our batting has for decades been our problem.

I was most impressed in the Lankan T20 match against us that in an innings of some 180 runs they hit only three sixes.

We need to learn to bat. Full stop.

//

sudden 2021-11-22 15:21:49 

In reply to Ewart

That is the crux of the matter

But why can’t we employ Dessie

He begging for the wuk

And he wasn’t bad big grin

Drapsey 2021-11-22 15:34:11 

In reply to sudden

Maybe they don't want another (failed) politician.

Just look at what Hunte, "Don" Hilaire, and now Shallow Skillet brought/bought them.

Sorry, I forgot Old Leatherface.

sudden 2021-11-22 15:37:29 

In reply to Drapsey

What are you on about?

Failed politician ???

Dessie is Desmond Haynes…unless I misinterpreted your sarcasm, such as it is

Drapsey 2021-11-22 15:40:41 

In reply to sudden

Didn't Dessie dabble in Bajan politics? At least he tried.

He might be no longer involved, hence failed politician.

sudden 2021-11-22 15:48:26 

In reply to Drapsey

Not enuff to be called a politician, failed or otherwise

He was selected as a senator in 2001, more for services rendered than a reflection of his politics

Drapsey 2021-11-22 15:51:47 

In reply to sudden

See, I'm never (ok, rarely) wrong.

His dabble in politics was short lived, hence failure. I stand my ground, failed politician.

sudden 2021-11-22 15:57:46 

In reply to Drapsey

A senator in our system is hardly about politics. The GG can appoint about 3 - one from the trade union, one from the church and one from a sporting body is often the norm

But carry on

Drapsey 2021-11-22 16:09:35 

In reply to sudden

Politics.

sudden 2021-11-22 16:13:18 

In reply to Drapsey

That would make Sir Frank a failed politician too

Wasn’t he appointed to the Ja Senate?

Drapsey 2021-11-22 16:27:53 

In reply to sudden

Politician, but not necessarily failed.

Dessie is a relatively young man. If his senate appointment was short-lived, thereby leaving him to solicit a coaching "eat a food" appointment, then he is indeed a failed politician. cool cool cool

sudden 2021-11-22 16:28:51 

In reply to Drapsey

I like the distinction big grin

Drapsey 2021-11-22 16:34:16 

In reply to sudden

Ok, I'll take the win and move on.

Jumpstart 2021-11-22 17:00:13 

In reply to Ewart

don't need that. The best west indian batsmen are still around. Get them involved and give them some sort of authority. Gary Sobers is still around and as late as this year, Shai Hope said he went to him for technical advice before the Australia series. Brian Lara and Sarwan are still around(the only two batsmen to read peak murali perfectly). Desmond Haynes is probably the most technically correct batsman of the last 40 years from the WI. All these guys are alive and are willing to contribute. CWI needs to forget all these cats with certificates and get the batsmen who have been successful at the international level involved.

Windiesfan78 2021-11-22 17:16:29 

In reply to Jumpstart

Well said, it really makes you wonder why these legends aren't in the setup.

Jumpstart 2021-11-22 17:27:33 

In reply to Windiesfan78

WICB historically have wanted yes men in the positions. It comes from deeply ingrained insecurities by the persons running the sport here. Now granted one or two of the legends have had a my way or the highway mentality, probably because they aren't the best teachers. But they are a minority. Usually WI cricketers are very, very approachable. After the beatings of the last decade or so, I doubt there is any WI batsman who thinks he is good and does not need help. And this has to be medium to long term. For example, you can't invite Lara and Sarwan as batting consultants just before they face the then no 1 Team India(and their fantastic pace attack minus the pelter) and expect them to work miracles. You need to have those guys over a protracted period. UTT has a sporting campus with state of the art facilities. Get the players in there with the legends and have them working on technique, match awareness, things like that. WI has enough hardware to be back in the mix in the next five years. Just requires vision

JOJO 2021-11-22 17:44:31 

In reply to sudden

unless I misinterpreted your sarcasm, such as it is

big grin big grin

Larr Pullo 2021-11-22 18:33:25 

We already have monty. Why would we need Dessie?

camos 2021-11-22 18:44:55 

In reply to Larr Pullo

because he needs a job!

sudden 2021-11-22 18:52:00 

In reply to Larr Pullo

we dont and i hope for Dessie's sake it doesnt happen

Ewart 2021-11-22 18:56:03 

West Indies' batting flair did not come from hitting sixes. Even the UB did not make his name from hitting sixes; that came later with the shorter game.

But the point is that it not our bowling, it has always been our batting. And unless we fix our batting we will remain near the bottom of the tables.

And it must start in the schools. The proper coaching must begin in the schools.

We also have to remember that there was a time when there was no money in cricket for the players. And that the scourge of unemployment and poverty runs free through all the territories. And when T20 came it was, for many batsmen, like a rich man giving away money.

But we must relearn the basics and apply them to all formats of the game.

//

sudden 2021-11-22 19:04:13 

In reply to Ewart

completely agree.

we seem to have forgot how to play the game.

and we arent learning or dont seem to want to learn

camos 2021-11-22 19:08:31 

In reply to Ewart

And it must start in the schools. The proper coaching must begin in the schools.

If the schools are where we are expecting WI revival to start,it won't take place in the next 30 years! CWI needs to undertake that task, they are the body trusted with the development of the game in the region.

Ewart 2021-11-22 19:15:29 

In reply to camos

CWI needs to undertake that task.

So what prevents CWI from doing that with/in the schools?

When I was at school we had an island cricket coach in the person of George Headley. Unfortunately, a new government kicked him out of the position (or I might even have made it to the West Indies team :winksmile

But the point is that we have seen a number of schoolboys display the maturity to bat long, productive innings. We know for instance that Marlon Samuels once made a triple century at school. There are others...

//

Drapsey 2021-11-22 19:21:18 

In reply to camos

The name CWI is a major part of the problem. That's a name given by the Big IDIOT, and with his ouster, the name of the entity should (actually, must) be reverted to the proper name of WICB.

That'll fix it!

Windiesfan78 2021-11-22 19:34:56 

Politics always seems to rear its ugly head when it comes to the administration. I believe that Ambrose's contract as bowling consultant was not extended because he doesn't strike me as a yes man. Ambrose looked like the sort of coach that would get players hyped up and ready to go. I could imagine he probably shouted at some of the players when they did nonsense. He is a man that wears his heart on his sleeve. People keep calling for Simmons head but results have improved since he has become head coach again. There was a time when the W.I weren't even competitive and lacked that fighting spirit. It seems like people expect the team to return to the glory days in a matter of months. The truth is it requires patience and players that have a strong mindset.

Drapsey 2021-11-22 20:15:37 

In reply to Windiesfan78

People keep calling for Simmons head but results have improved since he has become head coach again.

If I didn't know better I'd say that you're a Trump supporter.

Hendra 2021-11-23 04:05:21 

In reply to Drapsey

big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin big grin

imusic 2021-11-23 05:42:04 

In reply to Ewart

I was most impressed in the Lankan T20 match against us that in an innings of some 180 runs they hit only three sixes.

It would be interesting to see what percentage of T20 matches are won by a ream hitting only 3 sixes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s a very low percentage.

Kind of like how many NBA teams in today’s NBA that win games by scoring 3 three pointers in the 48 minutes.

Not many, if any.

I wonder how many sixes Australia hit when they beat NZ in the final?

Just checked……Oz hit 8 sixes in the final.

Maybe they can’t bat

Ewart 2021-11-23 18:00:36 

In reply to imusic

You are better than this. I should not have to point you to the fact that West Indies batting is the problem and has been the problem for decades. I am sure you appreciate that.

The point of my post was that good batting, with safe shots, were the backbone and foundation of that Lankan victory. We don't have anybody on our team who is that disciplined. Or, maybe, who knows how to do that.

It may well be a matter of environmental culture.

//