The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Bonner Can Bat!

WalterWhite 2021-11-25 09:16:57 

Looks like our best at the moment.

Selectors need to bring in Hetmyer for Hope.

Windiesfan78 2021-11-25 09:53:03 

In reply to WalterWhite
I think Hetmyer should be in the team. Shai Hope needs to work on his game, I still believe he can come good. You don't average in the 50s in ODIs if you can't bat. Yes test cricket is different in that there are no field restrictions like in the aforementioned format, however it shows that the talent is there. I would also bring in Roach for Gabriel and maybe Permaul for Warrican.

InHindsight 2021-11-25 09:56:01 

In reply to Windiesfan78

I am no convinced about Permaul but I guess everyone deserves a chance

WalterWhite 2021-11-25 10:09:04 

In reply to Windiesfan78

talent is there

We have been saying that for years now. Time to move on permanently.

InHindsight 2021-11-25 10:47:48 

In reply to WalterWhite

You wouldn't be a good coach

lol

sudden 2021-11-25 11:15:10 

In reply to WalterWhite

you do realise that Hope was not selected for this match, right?

so yeah why not bring in Hetymeyer for Hope

WalterWhite 2021-11-25 11:39:56 

In reply to InHindsight

You wouldn't be a good coach

You are right because I would be telling it as it is all the time!

WalterWhite 2021-11-25 11:40:37 

In reply to sudden
Hetmyer should have been first in line.

sudden 2021-11-25 11:43:19 

In reply to WalterWhite

of course, becos the next player is the best player until he plays

Windiesfan78 2021-11-25 11:53:19 

In reply to WalterWhite

I wouldn't say permanently. Truth is he hasn't done enough to merit a place on the team at this point.

Windiesfan78 2021-11-25 11:56:17 

In reply to InHindsight

True, he may surprise us. No harm in giving him a chance. We already lost the series. I say this because we can't beat Sri Lanka in their country in tests.

WalterWhite 2021-11-25 12:03:40 

In reply to sudden

becos the next player is the best player until he plays

Nonsense. Hetmyer should never have been left out of the test side.

sudden 2021-11-25 12:22:26 

In reply to WalterWhite

why was he left out?

Dukes 2021-11-25 12:46:06 

In reply to sudden

CWI is trafficking in misinformation and non-information.
There is a whisper campaign with innuendo and lies.
The following questions should be posed to the President and Director of Cricket

1.Have Evin Lewis,Shimron Hetmyer and Nicholas Pooran indicated to you whether they are interested or not interested in playing test cricket directly verbally or in writing

2.Have any of the above 3 individuals refused to take part in the "Best vs Best" matches recently arranged by CWI.

3.Have any of the above 3 individuals been invited to participate in the recent "Best vs Best " matches

4.Have any or all of the above 3 individuals met the CWI fitness requirements.

5.Have Romario Shepherd,Sherfane Rutherford and Odean Smith met the CWI fitness requirements and if not have they been offered an opportunity to take the required fitness tests.

A responsible Board would be happy to answer clearly and concisely the above 5 questions rather than hiding behind the opacity that they have created.

sudden 2021-11-25 13:01:37 

In reply to Dukes

i have no issues with what you posted.

here is my concern re the batsmen above. i say this becos our batting is more a problem than our bowling-

arent we making out these guys to be saviours? they aren't. at least one of them have played tests before

what if they fail?

arent we asking about the batting antecedent of others whilst fast tracking at least 2 of them who consistently have not played 4 day cricket in some time? and please respond by saying 4 day cricket hasnt been played in the region for sometime. even before that they didnt play

having said that, given the state of our batting, i dont see why these guys cant be given a chance. and that is it right there. no long talk. no silly justification.

natty_forever 2021-11-25 14:07:38 

In reply to Windiesfan78

Warrican took wickets, no way P getting a game over him.

natty_forever 2021-11-25 14:22:18 

Campbell should have been persisted with. lol lol razz

dayne 2021-11-25 14:30:56 

Bonner like Chanderpaul bats like he values his wicket,
do does not throw it away just because he made a fifty, hopefully the others start to follow his example.

sudden 2021-11-25 15:05:27 

In reply to dayne

so Bonner now displaying tenacity? there was no 1st innings? and like Shiv?

why just not congratulate the man and quit comparing him

Overthrow 2021-11-25 15:14:45 

Some posters keep on insisting on continuous failure being rewarded. After such a long run, I wonder if some of our “frontline “ batters know which end of a bat to hold. Time for wholesale change, we maintain the same players and are getting the same results.

granite 2021-11-25 15:54:42 

De Silva can bat too,and better than the lot ah the others who don't know zilch bout playing spin,who knows what Solozano may have done.The little I have seen of Solozano is that he has patience.BTW both Pooran and Hetmyer should be on that test side.

sudden 2021-11-25 16:00:39 

In reply to granite

dont forget Lewis and Bravo

openning 2021-11-25 16:26:42 

In reply to sudden

lol lol

VoopsandOut 2021-11-25 16:27:12 

Fellas, we have two batsmen averaging 69 after the first test. When last has that happened for WI smile

Overthrow 2021-11-25 16:41:34 

In reply to sudden

Tongue in cheek comment, Evin Lewis is one of the few batters we have who can handle short pitch bowling.

Windiesfan78 2021-11-25 16:56:08 

In reply to natty_forever

Fair enough natty, he took 5 wickets in total. I want to give Permaul a chance because he may be able to extract more turn out of the pitch. We need a fast bowler so it can't be both Warrican and Permaul. Chase and Cornwall retain their places as allrounders. Brathwaite can also bowl spin. Permaul adds something different to a match we will most likely lose anyway. Oh, I would like Roach to replace Gabriel.

camos 2021-11-25 16:58:29 

Bonner has lots of patience, Junior Bennett spoke about that some time back. Probably not a lot of stroke play but will wait for his target.

sudden 2021-11-25 17:28:59 

In reply to Overthrow

of course and he will receive all short balls

Overthrow 2021-11-25 17:42:25 

In reply to sudden

Yeah you will continue deflecting with irrational posts.

sudden 2021-11-25 18:08:01 

In reply to Overthrow

nope i keep it real.

you all can project and read the future of these WI modern day batsmen before they face proper bowling all unnuh want only to go onto the next lamb for the slaughter after they are found wanting.

it has done us no good so far.

i am all for giving all a chance and see what they can do. if they perform consistently then i will sing their praises.

until then i wait.

Drapsey 2021-11-25 19:08:07 

In reply to WalterWhite

This approach appears to bring success, and maybe we should indefinitely replicate.

Bonner made an 11-ball 1-run in the 1st innings and nobody noticed. At least, if they did, they chose not to berate him. With that he has lived to receive accolades for his 2nd innings performance. Some even ready to advocate his elevation to 'captainhood'.

Let's keep it going, guys!

Dukes 2021-11-25 20:20:36 

In reply to sudden

arent we making out these guys to be saviours? they aren't. at least one of them have played tests before

I am not saying any such thing.What I am saying is that we must put our best team on the field at all times.Whether they win or lose is not the point.

what if they fail?

Then we cuss them.Our current peeps are failing quite spectacularly so it would not be anything new.
If I say we should play a guy who is going to make 27 and you keep wanting to play a guy who is going to make 13 because the other guy making 27 is not going to change the results then I have a problem with that type of thinking.

arent we asking about the batting antecedent of others whilst fast tracking at least 2 of them who consistently have not played 4 day cricket in some time? and please respond by saying 4 day cricket hasnt been played in the region for sometime. even before that they didnt play

How can CWI talk about playing 4 day cricket when they have repeatedly scheduled OFFICIAL CWI WHITE BALL CRICKET DURING OUR DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS SEASON which effectively DEVALUED OUR DOMESTIC COMPETITION.

Dukes 2021-11-25 20:20:43 

In reply to sudden

I am not saying any such thing.What I am saying is that we must put our best team on the field at all times.Whether they win or lose is not the point.

what if they fail?

Then we cuss them.Our current peeps are failing quite spectacularly so it would not be anything new.
If I say we should play a guy who is going to make 27 and you keep wanting to play a guy who is going to make 13 because the other guy making 27 is not going to change the results then I have a problem with that type of thinking.

How can CWI talk about playing 4 day cricket when they have repeatedly scheduled OFFICIAL CWI WHITE BALL CRICKET DURING OUR DOMESTIC FIRST CLASS SEASON which effectively DEVALUED OUR DOMESTIC COMPETITION.

Drapsey 2021-11-25 20:33:56 

In reply to Dukes

We're all in agreement here, Dukes. The prevailing issue is determining the 'best team' considering the subjectivity.

For instance, you would be satisfied that a best team is picked as long as Hetty is part thereof. Contrast that to FuzzyWuzzy who would be equally satisfied if Shai Hope is in, to say nothing of Jumpy.

Dukes 2021-11-25 20:49:41 

In reply to Drapsey

The prevailing issue is determining the 'best team' considering the subjectivity.

Here is a newsflash.There is wide consensus as to who would constitute the best team.HOWEVER some feel that DISCIPLINE is more important.Now the DISCIPLINE THING is very subjective.

velo 2021-11-25 20:55:41 

In reply to Windiesfan78permaul for warrican?a man that has taken wickets your going to drop

sudden 2021-11-25 21:07:00 

In reply to Dukes

I am not sold on the idea that Hety, Poorman and Lewis will make any difference but I am willing to give them a chance to make a believer out of me

Dukes 2021-11-25 21:19:17 

In reply to sudden

If the team makes 290 and 230 instead of 230 and 160 they would still lose so are you using that as an excuse for the team that makes 230 and 160?

sudden 2021-11-25 21:28:58 

In reply to Dukes

I see you are setting up your defense early.

I said no such thing.

But losing is losing, isn’t it?
big grin

Dukes 2021-11-25 21:50:42 

In reply to sudden

lol lol lol

sudden 2021-11-25 22:06:40 

In reply to Dukes

Uh gine call Fan fuh yuh skunt big grin

Courtesy 2021-11-25 23:35:17 

In the land of the blind...

"Bosman the whole of town aint have no toilets...no toliets for a man to shit..."

The whole West Indies aint have no batsmen and only one-half of a bowler.

We are doomed with no end in sight. Skeritt is playing ringa, ringa roses and nursing the ego of a universe don.

lol lol lol

Brerzerk 2021-11-26 00:26:30 

In reply to Dukes
Yuh lucky, Pat Rousseau dead n gone without Cameron answering any of his questions especially the one as to whether or not he was taking a salary as Prez. Different men same power dynamics. I would like to hear some specifics regarding Bonner can bat. Separate and apart from time at the crease. I have some thoughts but would like to hear what I may not have considered.

Dukes 2021-11-26 14:16:27 

In reply to Drapsey

We are all in agreement here, Dukes. The prevailing issue is determining the 'best team' considering the subjectivity.

Here is a data interpretation question for you.

How is your statement that everybody is in agreement that we should always put our best team on the field compatible with giving aging superstars final send off games?

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

XDFIX 2021-11-26 18:39:46 

In reply to Dukes

The problem here, management is more interested in process rather than outcome!

It's a Caribbean thing, no "killer" instinct in a competitive world!

sudden 2021-11-26 19:20:27 

In reply to XDFIX

Explain that last bit

Drapsey 2021-11-26 19:39:37 

In reply to Dukes

How is your statement that everybody is in agreement that we should always put our best team on the field compatible with giving aging superstars final send off games?

Here comes the "subjectivity" again.

My interest in seeing the continued inclusion of the UB in any WI team is for the continued relevance of Chrissy's patented "Mad dem, Crampy!". He, the UB, has been 'madding' them for 21 years and could(/should) continue doing so 'just because'.

Drapsey 2021-11-26 19:47:09 

In reply to Dukes

And I'm not even a fan of the UB.

I've only watched Gayle bat (live) once. That was just after he scored his first triple ton, I saw him play against the Windwards at Alpart. He scored some seventy odd runs, while Devon Smith scored a ton for the opposition. Devon looked in every way to be the more accomplished batsman.

Dukes 2021-11-26 22:05:05 

In reply to Drapsey

Pity you chose to wave the flag rather than engage in meaningful discussion.

doosra 2021-11-26 22:57:05 

In reply to Drapsey

And I'm not even a fan of the UB.

just a devotee big grin

Drapsey 2021-11-26 23:23:07 

In reply to doosra

Not even close, but I've watched certain posters table their hate for the UB over his 21 year professional career, and continue to enjoy every edition of Chrissy's "Mad dem, Crampy!" proclamation.

With that I'll unapologetically usurp Chrissy and proclaim...

Mad dem, Crampy!

natty_forever 2021-11-27 02:00:35 

In reply to Windiesfan78

The experts would say Warrican turns it more than P. Still having trouble coming to grips with no Roach or Seales. West Indies tink tank empty.

natty_forever 2021-11-27 02:06:07 

In reply to sudden

CWI should be looking to schedule 4 day cricket and have the youngsters playing so we can see if they are ready for the next level. I guess they believe in rumpelstiltskin