The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Skerritt talks about CPL moves

Tryangle 2022-01-24 13:13:06 

Eh.

CWI can no longer spare resources to fund actual player development other than our own,” said Skerritt.

I don't doubt this, CWI already has a difficult time getting things funneled down to its subsidiary branches in each territory.

Chrissy 2022-01-24 15:05:12 

In reply to Tryangle

Who was the genius who sold out the CPL to foreigners for next to nothing?

hubert 2022-01-24 15:17:31 

In reply to Chrissy
I remember torching that decision at the time...the tak was about getting money inn the coffers
among other things.Same playbook as that some governments including yours have done and continue to do
to the people's assets
smile
Despicable act. Where is the funding to the Board that always crying bruk pocket and rely on English Tours
especially in Barbados and India's to get them foreign exchange.
LL this to detriment o have proper development of the cricket from grassroots.
Those perpetrators should be done the favour of being tarred and feathered. Genius-asses if you ask me
smile

sgtdjones 2022-01-24 16:11:28 

In reply to hubert

All governments in the Caribbean squander their citizens assets....notice most are UWI graduates.

The geniuses who sold the T20 to the CPL with fanfare are the H&H regime. They got great promises.
Then the owner outmaneuvered CWI and sold the franchises to individuals.
They don't have to honor the promises, their lawyers were intelligent and omitted such clauses.

Now we have a self proclaimed pseudo intellect, relative of the H&H regime, posting threads about development, management etc .

During the H&H regime he was on mute.

Why didn't he give all his cricket intelligence to the CEO, who claimed he knew nothing about cricket during the tenure?
Who hired a CEO for such a job ,he had no understanding of his position? History notes such by decisions made.

Regress and read what the President said before Hunte was elected. He noted CWI was in the black, and he hoped the new administration would follow up
on certain programs and discussions with Governments, he had started. Did H&H regime follow up?

Hunte, alleged refered to him as "that man"....and the rest is history.

hubert 2022-01-24 16:58:17 

In reply to sgtdjones

AS a boy growing up in Jamaica, we were always told that when Bauxite was discovered in the Island in the late40s,Bustamante, the en de facto leader
under colonial govt, gave away the Dirt to foreign companies in USA and Canada for ONE penny a Ton.
Never did verify that but when Michael Manley sought to gain fair market share in the 70s with a Cest, all hell broke loose against him by
a certain faction of Jamaicans allied with these companies and especially the USA.

It remains a sore point still and with the ups and down of the market,but money is still coming in from it.

I would recommend to Guyana with its new found wealth in Oil to follow the example of the State of oil rich 49th American State to
make direct monetary payments to each citizen from proceeds. That way they are sure to share in resources which are theirs, even if
others will exploit to their benefit.

But we do have a history of creating our own bondage,slavery where our assets are concerned.We are worse than those who
were our slave masters .We have seen the enemy and it is us ///

sgtdjones 2022-01-24 17:10:26 

In reply to hubert

Bravo, I fully agree.

cool

Tryangle 2022-01-24 17:22:38 

In reply to hubert

Could this be considered the last great evil of the legacy of colonialism? Having future leaders without the will to think of the people above their own interests?

On CPL, I fear it's well on its way to being IPL West and eventually the "C" part will be axed once it's exhausted resources in the region.

Chrissy 2022-01-24 17:46:09 

In reply to hubert
Bro I did the research - we have been structurally adjusted to remain dependent forever.
Just look at the decline in our schools and tell me how cricket can survive.

Chrissy 2022-01-24 17:51:28 

In reply to sgtdjones
You think they were better when they graduated overseas? That is utter BS. All our institutions outside of music mimic overseas institutions.

Go and read the Education Acts across this region. They were designed to maintain foreign control and keep the vast majority of our populations as uneducated as possible.

conman 2022-01-24 17:58:48 

In reply to Chrissy

Go and read the Education Acts across this region. They were designed to maintain foreign control and keep the vast majority of our populations as uneducated as possible.

This is worth a backroom discussion

Halliwell 2022-01-24 18:17:27 

In reply to conman

Seconded

Narper 2022-01-24 18:40:04 

In reply to sgtdjones

Even T20 tournament pioneer Allen Stanford is turning in his cell

wink

hubert 2022-01-24 19:00:23 

In reply to Chrissy

It's beyond pitiful, Chrissy and as an Educator at the forefront for progress ,it is even more painful for you.
I know shed inner tears for what is happening to our people who are so gifted,smart and talented as any in the world.
But we lack leadership in too many avenues.And I don't know why .

Chrissy 2022-01-24 19:40:46 

In reply to hubert
Trinkets and invitations to the cocktail parties - trips to the coast, big house and big car. That is leadership in every sphere with few exceptions.

hubert 2022-01-24 20:06:19 

In reply to Chrissy
Yes .I know of and read about this trend and example s which lead the not well off and others of criminal minds to get
such BY ANY Means Necessary...Hence ..mayhem ,wrong doing and even murders are so plentiful in Jamaica.

XDFIX 2022-01-24 20:15:05 

In reply to hubert

I read an article where Guyana promised its citizens a monthly check, hopefully, I am recalling correctly - that was a joy to my heart!

XDFIX 2022-01-24 20:18:47 

In reply to hubert

It's beyond pitiful, Chrissy and as an Educator at the forefront for progress ,it is even more painful for you.
I know shed inner tears for what is happening to our people who are so gifted,smart and talented as any in the world.
But we lack leadership in too many avenues. And I don't know why

I know why!! It is called crab in a barrel in syndrome!

Courtesy 2022-01-24 20:55:37 

Have allyuh seen the CBA (Cost Benefit Analysis) and how prohibitive it was for WICB to host the CPL? The final signed contract also called for many fringe benefits including the formation of satellite Deveopment centres which were never implemented.

The WICB (now CWI) receives 1.5 million USD annually in rights and a further USD$360,000 annually towards professionalization of regional cricket and player development.

The same monies which made our professional cricket system possible.

Like "stiff necked fools", allyuh want to take decisions in isolation. It's the easist thing to do. The majority of you on this thread should do some research on why the CPL was not practical econocially sound and infact potentially a financial killer for WICB and stop rubbing your gums.

The WICB then and CWI now, just does not have the fiscal space to implement anything resembling CPL.

And bearing in mind, the WICB has never backed away from any tournament or proposal which will bring pesos to its coffers.

Speak to your individual board Presidents at the time and a much clearer picture will emerge.

Commie provided an indepth analysis here at the time which concluded, beyond a shadow of a doubt, why WICB should not venture into CPL.

But by all means continue to run your mouths like lil' girls and boys without a modicum of information on this matter and too lazyy to do your own research.

One more thing, while the groundwork on the CPL was laid by H&H, it was President Dave Cameron and Director of Cricket Richard Pybus who oversaw the negotiations and signed off on the agreement.

How did one of the stakeholders, WIPA feel at the time:

West Indies Players Association (WIPA) President and CEO Wavell Hinds, was also positive about the development. “WIPA welcomes the contribution of the CPL to this programme, and we have also played a pivotal role in the process of bringing the professionalization of the first class game in the region closer to reality. Our members voted unanimously at our last AGM to support the initiative, and agreed to take the steps asked of them to make it happen. We see it as a great opportunity for a broader base of our membership to earn a living from the game,” said Hinds.
Under the new Professional First Class structure the contracts will see players being part of a First Class Franchise system, the details of which will be made public shortly.

Anything and any opportunity the damn fools get to bash Hunte and Hilaire.

sgtdjones 2022-01-24 21:29:19 

In reply to Narper

razz razz razz

Tryangle 2022-01-24 21:44:15 

In reply to Courtesy

At the time, were there alternatives to the CPL that were proposed in the wake of the Stanford tournament's demise and later Caribbean T20? Curious.

sgtdjones 2022-01-24 21:46:35 

Please stop posting crap about the H&H regime.

Did they do due diligence before signing this Contract .Look at the length?
Were they diligent to see that no money would be made?
Were they looking thru rose colored glasses.

Then why the glamor of HPC etc. when such was announced. OH the benefits.

Two individuals who were clueless about cricket.

Well, one got an office built in his home plus 100,000 US per year at WICB tethering on bankruptcy.

How can one hire a CEO that is clueless about the business of Cricket.

rolleyes

Courtesy 2022-01-24 21:48:12 

In reply to Tryangle

This was the only deal on the table and CPL franchise owners projected lil' or no financial returns in the initial stages of the tournament.

If I can find the time I will provide the CBA of the CPL to WICB and post it here.

Tryangle 2022-01-24 21:51:55 

In reply to Courtesy

Thanks for the info - food for thought with regard to the CPL and how it might have been forced along the path it took.

camos 2022-01-24 22:49:03 

West Cricket Board screwed up, the first act was to sell the thing to a strawman, who then sold to Digicel or some Digicel owned entity.

Courtesy 2022-01-24 23:01:07 

From my post above:

...One more thing, while the groundwork on the CPL was laid by H&H, it was President Dave Cameron and Director of Cricket Richard Pybus who oversaw the negotiations and signed off on the agreement...

camos 2022-01-24 23:34:05 

In reply to Courtesy

Cameron being from Jamaica I should defend the deal?