The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Brendan Taylor - drugs and match fixing entrapment -BANNED

Narper 2022-01-24 14:19:10 

Taylor's full statement here:

I have been carrying a burden for over two years now that has sadly taken me to some very dark places and had a profound effect on my mental health. And I have only recently started sharing my story with close friends and family and received the love and support I guess I was too ashamed and frightened to seek in the first place.

This may not make for comfortable reading but I would like to make a statement regarding a finding made by the ICC, which is soon to be released.

Tryangle 2022-01-24 14:30:31 

A really sad tale.

Consider that at the lower rungs of the international ladder where players aren't getting paid much at all, getting a financial offer for spot fixing can be seen as life-changing money.

It has to be a major concern for ICC and the relevant boards when it comes to the integrity of the sport and so on.

Narper 2022-01-24 20:06:44 

In reply to Tryangle
Very sad story.

I just hope our youngsters keep their heads on.
These indian bookies are aggressive.
Whatever happened to the recent case with Ikan Samuels and the UAE board?

Tryangle 2022-01-24 21:49:17 

In reply to Narper

Any fringe/emerging player from WI or elsewhere, who may not have a secure contract, will be seen as especially vulnerable to the sharks.

And with all these tournaments across the globe, comes opportunities to bet... and therefore a chance for spot fixing and other exploitation.

camos 2022-01-24 22:40:31 

sad indeed

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 02:25:28 

In reply to Narper

These indian bookies are aggressive.

I can only imagine how many of those IPL games are fixed in any given season.

One of the many reasons I don’t look at that shit.

Walco 2022-01-25 11:28:21 

In reply to Narper
The punishment meted out by the ICC seems too harsh, but Taylor should not have taken the $15,000.00. He may have had a round trip ticket and could have gotten back home, but if it was purchased by the Indians I suppose they could have canceled it. Did Taylor play any international matches for Zimbabwe during the four-month period between the trip to India and reporting the matter to the ICC?

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 14:38:48 

In reply to Walco

He found himself in the clutches of the Indian mafia.

If they tell him he can't leave the country, he ain't leaving.

Walco 2022-01-25 14:43:58 

In reply to SnoopDog
I can accept that. So the 4 month delay is the issue, especially if he played matches for Zimbabwe during that period.

Drug addiction is a hell of a thing though. Not easy to overcome.

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 14:55:34 

In reply to Walco

I can accept that. So the 4 month delay is the issue, especially if he played matches for Zimbabwe during that period.

I also sympathize with Taylor but the ICC was duty bound to punish him severely notwithstanding all the mitigating circumstances. If they didn't, it would make a very bad precedent.

I don't think he played much international matches in that period. But that probably wouldn't have been too much a problem for the bookies because they would have simply told him to recruit some of the younger players for spot and match fixing. I remember Lou Vincent saying that once the bookies have you one of their strategy is to have the compromised player recruit new players. That's how they grow their network of compromised players all over the world.

Every time I hear about a close IPL game (which shouldn't have been close) or someone say they saw something fishy in an IPL game I immediately assume it's spot or match fixing at play. That's how little regard I have for the IPL.

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 15:03:31 

In reply to Walco

And that truly is the saddest thing about this.

Those bookies obviously knew about his alcohol and drug problems and that was the perfect lure and bait for them to compromise him.

Now he's a completely broken man and has to rebuild his life and overcome these addictions. Let's wish him well.

Walco 2022-01-25 15:10:18 

In reply to SnoopDog
Interesting. I'm not as knowledgeable as you about bookies and spot fixing. I wish Taylor all the best though.

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 15:16:03 

In reply to Walco

Interesting. I'm not as knowledgeable as you about bookies and spot fixing. I wish Taylor all the best though.

I'll say this Bro. The only franchise T20 competition I watch is the CPL. And even that I'm sure is compromised (to which extent I don't know).

These Indian bookies have their tentacles over over the world. At this stage I think it's almost impossible for the ICC and the anti-corruption task force to eliminate spot and match fixing from franchise T20 and even international cricket. All they can do is to try and diminish it's presence as much as possible from international cricket.

Tryangle 2022-01-25 15:27:43 

In reply to SnoopDog

These crooks are always going to prey on those in a 'spot of bother'. Zimbabwe players this time, next it could be players from Malaysia or Uganda or even WI.

Taylor's retired from internationals now, but I imagine if he had any aspirations at coaching or being in the press box those will have to be put on hold. Here's hoping Taylor can find peace and renewed spirit.

SnoopDog 2022-01-25 16:01:30 

In reply to Tryangle

Yep. They will always target the lowest hanging fruit being the players from countries with meager central contract salaries. Occasionally they will get a catch a big fish like a Lou Vincent, Cronje, Sreesanth, etc.

I suspect the bookies also have a bevy of local Indian players in the IPL who are similarly compromised. Guys who are on the fringes of their respective IPL teams.

Unlike foreign players who can escape back to their home countries and their families live elsewhere, the local Indian guys have to think about the safety of themselves and their families who have to deal with these thugs in India every day.

Tryangle 2022-01-25 17:31:31 

In reply to SnoopDog

Kinda makes me wonder how guys from more 'prestigious' countries could ever find themselves mixed up in this. People like Salim Malik, S. Sreesanth and the guys you mentioned. Pure greed?

Narper 2022-01-28 13:44:55 

Brendan Taylor banned by ICC for three and half years

Brendan Taylor has been banned for three and half years. The International Cricket Council (ICC), which made the announcement on Friday (January 2cool, said the former Zimbabwe captain has confessed to his involvement in anti-corruption activity. He was found guilty for breaching four charges of the ICC Anti-Corruption Code and, separately, one charge of the ICC Anti-Doping Code.

Link

shivnotout 2022-01-28 21:28:11 

In reply to Narper

Cricbuzz understands that Taylor had travelled to Delhi in September 2019 on the invite of an Indian businessman called Manish

he manish bad lol