The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Here is one of the many problems with the T20 team

openning 2022-01-24 17:12:56 

Link Text

Norm 2022-01-24 17:29:13 

In reply to openning
Let me summarise what the contents of the link says, because you seem unable to do so. The link provides Pollard's T20 statistics. I can only assume, based on board context, that this is merely yet another insular attack on a current player, in a struggling team.

Is this how we(the more experienced, and knowledgeable posters on this board) promote improvement, here or in WI cricket in general?

sgtdjones 2022-01-24 17:34:28 

In reply to Norm

So only Polly huh?

King made 0

Holder made 1

Polly made 1

Smith made 7

Oh well, Polly failed so we lost.

Norm 2022-01-24 17:42:46 

In reply to sgtdjones

So only Polly huh?

Hopefully, we can move on from this kind of discussion.
Perhaps the poster meant to emphasize how important Polly's personal performance's were to the team's success (a truth, actually), the poster did seem to have forgotten about the failures of the rest of the team.

openning 2022-01-24 17:46:00 

In reply to Norm
That link shows Pollard's last 20 International T20 stats.
Batting
20 Matches
254 runs
14.11 Average
117.59 SR

Bowling
25.2 Overs
0 Maidens:
241 runs
7 Wickets
9.51 ER
21.71 SR

Norm 2022-01-24 18:14:30 

in reply to openning
the performance-related problems of the T20 team, is a reflection of the performance of several player. Yet you seem to be emphasizing the performance of a single member of that team. Hence, there is a lot of vagueness, and very poor problem definition, here .
You want another over or two, to get your line right bro? Right now the umpires arm getting tired, signaling all them wides.

Larr Pullo 2022-01-24 18:18:18 

In reply to Norm

Pollard is the weak link in the chain. The sooner the selectors dump him ahead of the WC the better.

Norm 2022-01-24 18:24:42 

In reply to Larr Pullo

Pollard is the weak link in the chain.

Given the sensitive nature of such an opinion, perhaps we should spend some time trying to support, and expand on it. Weak link, at times, at critical times, over a period of times, as a fielder, as a batsman for the position he bats in, etc?

openning 2022-01-24 18:25:23 

In reply to Norm

Time to hand this format to the youngsters

Thats my post after watching the game yesterday.
I wanted to see Pollard's stats, who is the last of player from the winning T20 world cups.
We all wanted UB to retire, but had not look at Pollard scores and stats, I did.
Here is his 2021 Batting - Progressive Average and Aggregate
Link Text
The last 2 matches against England.
Link Text

Norm 2022-01-24 18:31:51 

In reply to openning
So, are you saying that Polly no longer merits a spot in the T20 team as a player?
You know what the response to that will be, i am sure, that Polly's true value to the team is his captaincy.

openning 2022-01-24 18:35:15 

In reply to Larr Pullo
Norm means well, but he should have a look at the captain performance the last 20-25 matches.
If that not enough to replace him, will he wait until the next CWC and recognize, he is another Devon Smith or Easton McMorris?

Halliwell 2022-01-24 18:41:21 

In reply to openning

Your stats show that Pollard has a 120 ish strike rate for the past 20 matches
That he hasn’t wasted many balls
You may have deleted an HS that may have been also provided?
You are analysing T20 but using average as a benchmark
You haven’t shown us the distribution of when he comes in how many balls are left on average as he bats low
Setting vs Chasing?
Come on! As Norm said, we are supposed to be aficionados of some repute; not na nana na na snipers

His bowling economy is expensive
big grin

Norm 2022-01-24 18:41:41 

In reply to openning
There are very few of us (including those on this thread, up to this point left around here, that could discuss such a topic without it degenerating to the useless.

openning 2022-01-24 18:43:00 

In reply to Norm

So, are you saying that Polly no longer merits a spot in the T20 team as a player?

Thats exactly what I am saying, Sammy who was just as bad, won us two world cups, Pollard's team embarrass the region twice in the last 6 months.
i
am sure, that Polly's true value to the team is his captaincy.

I looked at the team with Pollard as Captain, and how he handle Hayden Walsh and now Nial Smith, you compare it to Pooran handling of Walsh.
Players once selected, should be given the opportunity to show their skills, neither Walsh nor Smith is able to do that, with Pollard as captain.

Halliwell 2022-01-24 18:43:37 

In reply to Norm

There are ‘WI cricket’ discussions around:
Politics
Insularity & nationalism
Racism
Cricket

Posters bring their own recipes

Norm 2022-01-24 18:47:54 

In reply to openning

Thats exactly what I am saying

You were never a man who was afraid to speak his mind.
Anyway, we do need such straight talk, if we ever hope to engage in useful and respectful discussions.

openning 2022-01-24 18:49:43 

In reply to Norm
Thanks bro, stay safe.

lol lol

Norm 2022-01-24 18:50:06 

In reply to Halliwell

Posters bring their own recipes

Very true. Some of those "recipes" are literally out of this world, man. Sometimes I am left wondering if the poster got his or her forums all mixed up!

Norm 2022-01-24 18:51:58 

In reply to openning

Thanks bro, stay safe.

Am looking forward to a COVID-free world!

Wally-1 2022-01-25 06:33:28 

In reply to openning

That link shows Pollard's last 20 International T20 stats.

Thank you, tired of his "at the end of the day."
Pollard cannot bat, never could never will.

Drapsey 2022-01-25 11:00:52 

What you guys going on about?

We have a Trini Head Coach, Trini Captain, Trini Vice Captain, Trini (senior) Umpire.

All's good with the world.

natty_forever 2022-01-25 15:59:13 

In reply to sgtdjones

No, King failed and we lost. Trend one match. big grin

natty_forever 2022-01-25 15:59:48 

...altho the umpire failed!

imusic 2022-01-25 16:23:01 

In reply to Halliwell

Is openning you dealing with. What you expect.

The guy loves cricket…..but he only knows test and FC cricket and “analyzes” all cricket through those lens

He’s a good guy and like all of us, wants to see the team do well.

Windiesfan78 2022-01-25 16:39:14 

If Pollard can do what he is capable of with the bat the West Indies can win the series. We need to win two out of three games. Pollard has no excuses for failing after what Shepherd and Hosein did on Sunday. I have said it before, Pollard's captaincy is not the problem. It must be a collective effort and Mr. Pollard must lead from the front.

WI_cricfan 2022-01-25 17:22:50 

In reply to Norm

Given the sensitive nature of such an opinion, perhaps we should spend some time trying to support, and expand on it. Weak link, at times, at critical times, over a period of times, as a fielder, as a batsman for the position he bats in, etc?

Polly is a weak link when the temperature is 29.25 Deg C. Look what we come to here eh>

Dukes 2022-01-25 17:51:25 

FACTS

1.Pollard has played 9 T 20 International matches against England and has scored 50 runs in 8 innings with 2 not outs for an average of 8.33. His scores are 4*,9,0,23*,1,6,6 and 1.

2.He has been dismissed on 3 occasions by Abdul Rashid for 9,6 and 1

3.Abdul Rashid did not play in 2 of the T 20 matches played by Pollard (4 not out and 23 not out? and from my research did not face Rashid in his other innings.

Now, let us see how the above facts are analyzed by all the geniuses on this board.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

openning 2022-01-25 18:10:45 

In reply to imusic

but he only knows test and FC cricket and “analyzes” all cricket through those lens

Bro, I watch all form of cricket, it is true that the T20 is entertainment as far as i am concern, maybe it was Stanford the thief make me not to look at that format seriously.
I learn about scoring in 1960, a young dot, who was allowed to stay up on Friday nights to listen to the Tied series in Australia, my best friend mom, would score every test and give me the score sheet.
She made her own sheets, when I started playing school cricket, I had no problem scoring, and understanding averages.
What has been added to the formula in scoring are the ER, SR, wides and noballs are added to the bowler tally.
So I am uptodate, on ODI and T20.
I believe our former greats, all of them could play all formats, they preparation and fitness, made them great.
There is no way a Basil Butcher or Seymour Nurse, Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall would have difficulties and not fix it.
I really discuss Geniuses, so Sir Gary and Sobers cricket are above my level.

Hendra 2022-01-25 18:10:48 

In reply to Dukes
Frankly it eludes me why the Titties continue to defend the indefensible -
Pollard needs to be phased out because he has consistently failed both as a batsman which is his main role, and as captain of the WI cricket team.

With players like Romario Shepherd and Ocean Smith and even Hosein who could beat ball in the last five (overs), WI can no longer afford to play a persistent failure like Pollard. A proper batsman needs to replace him.

openning 2022-01-25 18:33:52 

In reply to Dukes
Doc, you seem to want me to get a subscription to cricket Archive.

lol

bobby 2022-01-25 19:18:09 

The cupboard is empty so what do we have?
1. King coming back from a horrible year.
2. Hope who is not a T20 player
3. Pooran who seems lost. His carefree attitude has been lost since he got married and found religion.
4. Bravo who has been lost for a few years now.

Those above are your batsmen. How can you go into any type of serious cricket match with 4 batsmen, even if in form.

None of the rest can be considered to be batters, in the true sense of the word. Bits and pieces players.

But with what we have available, can we do better at this stage?

Narper 2022-01-25 19:29:12 

In reply to Dukes

2.He has been dismissed on 3 occasions by Abdul Rashid for 9,6 and 1

3.Abdul Rashid did not play in 2 of the T 20 matches played by Pollard (4 not out and 23 not out? and from my research did not face Rashid in his other innings.

You are talking about Adil Rashid right?

Dukes 2022-01-25 20:19:47 

In reply to openning

All that info was from Howstat.

Dukes 2022-01-25 20:20:39 

In reply to Narper

U R correct.My bad.

Dukes 2022-01-26 00:54:33 

BTW ADIL Rashid has bowled 5 balls in T 20 International cricket to Kieron Pollard and dismissed him 3 times for a total of 2 runs.

I fully expect Pollard to correct that record in the upcoming matches!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

pariaman 2022-01-26 01:08:59 

In reply to Hendra

Our top 5 have been failing for a while except for Lewis and now king

To therefore single out Pollard is stupid

And remember he won us a match against Ireland

It's only king among the top 5 who has also won us a match

Let's support him against England and give him a chance to succeed

openning 2022-01-26 01:30:16 

In reply to pariaman

And remember he won us a match against Ireland

Apart from being the captain, a role that he should had surrendered after the CWC, what is he doing on the team?
Is he scoring runs? No
Is he bowling 4-overs and taking wicket? No
So after 13 years with a dismal International career, why should he remain on the team?

pariaman 2022-01-26 02:12:53 

In reply to openning

So you just dismiss how his runs won us a match against Ireland and his captaincy a match against England?

Insularity will truly never end

openning 2022-01-26 02:35:49 

In reply to pariaman
Insularity, that's easy to say, but carry on.
You think that one good inning, replace what happened at the CWC, and his last 20 or more innings?

So you just dismiss how his runs won us a match against Ireland and his captaincy a match against England?

I am not saying you are an Insular guy, but I am hoping since you give Pollard credit for the win against England in the first T20, you will also credit him for the CWC and Ireland defeats.

pariaman 2022-01-26 02:59:46 

In reply to openning

The cwc lies squarely on the selectors

Ireland was close and he won us a match

We are tied with England the number one team inthe world

His captaincy won us the first game

We are seeing new players coming thru

Pollard you are going a fantastic job

LBW375 2022-01-26 04:44:03 

In reply to openning

There is no way a Basil Butcher or Seymour Nurse, Andy Roberts, Malcolm Marshall would have difficulties and not fix it.

WICFan 2022-01-26 08:35:58 

In reply to openning

Laziness is the problem, particularly when batting.

Pooran, King, Bravo, Hope etc. instead of powering up to hit the boundary, rotate the strike, the Windies have a hood mix of left hand/right hand batters,

Rotate the strike and keep the score ticking over.