The responses to the humiliating defeat at

Pages: 1  2  next 
link Chrissy Joined: Nov 13, 2002
6/26/22, 1:50:46 PM 
the CHOG Conference are scathing.
In a nutshell JA sold out the Caribbean and Africa so that the racist Boris Johnson could keep reparations from teh COmmonwealth agenda.

A pox on all of those who destroyed JA's good standing with Africa. The JLP never gave a damn about the rest of the Caribbean - well these days Handrew et al love the racist DR.
more at link

The Hon Kamina Johnson Smith, our minister of foreign affairs and foreign trade, was defeated in her challenge against Baroness Patricia Scotland, by three votes, for the position of secretary-general of the Commonwealth. This is a classic example of how not to go about seeking a position in an international organisation.

Minister Johnson Smith and Prime Minister Andrew Holness broke all the conventional rules and protocols in their bid to unseat the incumbent, Baroness Patricia Scotland, who secured victory over Johnson Smith by a margin of 27 – 24 votes. A narrow victory but a victory nevertheless.

The move by Johnson Smith and Prime Minister Holness has divided the Caribbean Community. It has nothing to do with the personality, knowledge, or competence of Minister Johnson Smith. It has to do with a government that seems not to have a clearly defined foreign policy but makes decisions on the basis of which government asks it to do so.

They broke the long-standing tradition of a country from the Caribbean putting itself forward for an international position only when it has the full backing and support of a united Caribbean Community.

link FanAttick Joined: Nov 12, 2002
6/26/22, 1:59:40 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

As a result, they were forced to vote against the land of Marcus Garvey, Bob Marley, Michael Manley, P.J. Patterson, Portia Simpson Miller, and Usain Bolt, icons that they have come to love, cherish, and respect.

We must never again put our country in such a position on the international stage, where our natural allies and friends have to vote against us.
lol lol lol lol

When said Delano …big up to a good yute..

Not a single Neighba mek de grade

By the way, which hall was Delano on at UWI?

link hubert Joined: Nov 13, 2002
6/26/22, 2:24:24 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

I don't know how much lower the Leadership incumbents can take the good name and reputation of Jamaica.
But I am sure they will continue on this path and they will certainly find other ways to embarrass
the good people of a nice country of good repute internationally,regionally and otherwise.

There is no way Handrew should have pursued this course.

link nitro Joined: Apr 9, 2003
6/26/22, 2:30:14 PM 
I would not be surprised if some greasing of the palms went on.

6/26/22, 2:39:44 PM 
In reply to FanAttick
Not sure because he didn't live on - will check.

Spot on from Kay Orborne

Kamina Johnson Smith
1 2
I hadn’t so much supported incumbent Commonwealth Secretary-General Baroness Patricia Scotland’s candidacy. Instead, I strongly opposed Kamina Johnson Smith’s candidacy for the role as Johnson Smith was Boris Johnson’s pawn. Yet, tellingly, more than half the heads of governments attending the Kigali meeting – all who voted for Scotland – put aside corruption charges against her to keep her in place. That the majority voted for Scotland despite the UK’s vigorous and sustained corruption accusations matters to me more than the closeness of the outcome that some people herald. The close result only shows how much sway the UK still has among black and influential, formerly colonised stakeholders.

I’m ashamed – humiliated – as are other thoughtful Jamaicans that our government and Minister Johnson Smith so readily brought our country so low by becoming Boris Johnson’s pawn and proxy, knowingly serving the interest of our long-time abusers against our interests. They must know the brutality and unfairness that characterise our history with the UK and that the UK’s interests have nearly never been ours. I am humiliated to bear witness to the government’s and Johnson Smith’s public antics to try and secure the Commonwealth Secretary-General position, acting as they did on behalf of our generational tormentors in full view of the thoughtful world. I asked myself constantly, how could this be? How could Jamaica’s leaders humiliate themselves and Jamaicans everywhere at so many levels? Why the desperate public cavorting poppy show on bucky-massa’s behalf given Jamaica’s political history since ‘62, especially the Michael Manley era that opened fastened-shut eyes to our painful history of UK-inflicted harm?

Kay was an early Lucas Club female cricketer

6/26/22, 2:41:38 PM 
In reply to hubert
Read Kay's piece

6/26/22, 2:42:39 PM 
In reply to nitro

Duh! wink

link TriniStar Joined: Aug 20, 2019
6/27/22, 2:15:04 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

What about this? Link Text

lol

link Commie Joined: Nov 12, 2002
6/27/22, 10:14:41 PM 
I think the missing point in this is the role played by Jamaica once again in furthering an agenda of a larger power, and failing. The only solace is that the support from those very same powers to the Jamaican economy is going to grow, and that can be powerful for pure economic growth statistics for the country (or at least for the business elite).

Sometimes there is value in losing.

The first time was when Donald Trump could not agitate either the OAS through his stooge Luis Almagro or Caricom to delegitimize Venezuela. The Americans created a group called the LIMA Group formed from countries willing to play ball in Latin America and the Caribbean. Some of you would remember that embarassing picture of Holness, Chastanet, Moise and Minnis sitting outside Donald Trumps conference room at Mar A Lago.

Ironically, from that group, only Holness remains. Minnis and Chastanet lost elections and Moise was unfortunately assassinated.

The Lima Group failed and in fact has triggered a spectacular backlash. Mexico has gone left along with Argentina, Brazil will next year with Lula, Chile and Peru went left, and Colombia have also gone left. Now in Grenada the most right wing of the OECS governments have fallen and even though the new PM looks to be ideologically centrist, the NDC is a left leaning political party.

Rather than Jamaica putting itself at constant odds with Caricom, it should unite with them and the rising sentiment in Latam to get rid of Almagro as head of the OAS, who is imo a clear and present danger to peace in the region.

Then Jamaica can reap the benefit of support from the UK and the US et al as a carrot for other countries to do the same( Dont come after me PNP ppl, because thats exactly what will happen).

The miscalculation with the Commonwealth vote was simple. It wasnt the Caribbean who sealed it. It was Africa who saw with KJS possibly winning another extended two terms where they would have to wait for one of their own to lead the Commonwealth, rather than one term if Scotland retained.

In the end aligning with Trump and Boris better yield something smile

link Ewart Joined: Mar 4, 2005
6/27/22, 10:38:17 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

Te3ll them, Kay!

//

6/27/22, 10:41:32 PM 
In reply to TriniStar
Not on Facebook
wink

6/27/22, 10:44:05 PM 
In reply to Commie

Yes indeed

link JOJO Joined: Jan 28, 2003
6/27/22, 10:54:44 PM 
Nothing in the Caribbean is as simple as it looks so sometimes we seek clarity and simplicity wherever we could find it.

CARICOM initially proposed three candidates for the post of Commonwealth Secretary General in 2015. Initially, Scotland was not the favorite. Ron Saunders was.

Critics insist she is not suitable for the post of Secretary General, on account of her not having lived and worked in the Caribbean and therefore not being familiar with the critical issues affecting the region.

And this was one of the milder criticisms. Many of the comments related to her title and who would she serve.

6/27/22, 11:00:56 PM 
In reply to JOJO
Ron is Sonny’s son in law - it was a terrible choice - reeked of nepotism.
For the record, Ron’s wife is a childhood friend.

link Commie Joined: Nov 12, 2002
6/27/22, 11:15:15 PM 
In reply to JOJO

Sanders would have lost and then this whole discussion would have been moot. The decision was right in the end. She is from Dominica, called to both the Dominican and Antiguan bar and in a region where elections and economies are decided by diaspora citizens, she is indeed from the region.

Moreso she stood alone credentials wise. First black person to be Attorney general in England Scotland and Wales since that grouping was formed in 1315, first black person to be a minister in the British Govt, and first Master of the Middle Court in the UK.

And she wasnt a Minister because she left Govt when Labour lost in England. In fact the main issue is this racist campaign by the Daily Mail and the Tories because they wanted someone they could manipulate. She wasnt it. And the campaign has been at least 15 years. Nonstop and relentless in the British press.

Her biggest failing is that she hasnt sent enough funding and projects into the Caribbean to not appear 'biased' to those who supported her candidacy. Now in her final term she should hopefully see that hasnt appeased the mob.

link sudden Joined: Nov 26, 2006
6/28/22, 8:15:47 AM 
In reply to Commie

it is good to see that you are returning to your saner self.

i hope this continues

6/28/22, 8:20:17 AM 
In reply to sudden
Commie is saner than the Western cheerleaders on yah.

6/28/22, 8:53:24 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

that reminds of the Monty Python film, 'Life of Brian' where they were discussing a resolution to denounce the Roman occupation of Israel. Reg asked, "what have the Romans done for us?," hoping that no one would reply or reply in the negative.

Loretta sheepishly said, "they gave us roads." Reg responded, "besides roads what have they really done for us?" there was then a litany of all the things the Romans had introduced since the occupation, including health care, education, laws.

Commie is my mate but i dont understand where he is going with this defence of Russia invading a sovereign nation and then trying to blame it on the west, when, if you read the Putin Doctrine, you will see that Putin was long angered by the split up of the USSR and longed to return Russia to its Czarist past.

and i still cant believe all the nonsense Commie spouted during the 2016 Presidential campaign like Hillary is sick and is going to die, Mexico constructed a wall on its southern border, citing Okeefe to say that illegal Mexicans voted, the Seth Rich nonsense and others that i forget.

i pointed out these things at the time but he waved them off under some silly guise.

so here is my question to you, "What have the Romans done for us?

6/28/22, 9:10:19 AM 
In reply to sudden
Some of us are merely pointing out that Russia is doing nothing more and nothing less than the Western Powers.

Bombing a university, an aircraft, etc. is no different than bombing a mall - either it is a war crime for all or not one for all. Getting your puppets to kill leaders of countries that won't bend to your wishes is also a war crime.
The West has gotten away with way too many crimes against humanity.
A little consistency is what we want.

6/28/22, 9:16:03 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

your response doesnt make much contact with what i posted but neither does Commie. it isnt unexpected.

finally, tho, let me ask you this, "isnt it possible to dislike American politics without extolling the virtues of Russian (false) equivalencies?"

link DonD Joined: Nov 28, 2002
6/28/22, 9:45:39 AM 
It is somewhat shameful that the office of the Commonwealth Secretary General has become to all intent a somewhat bartered position. I was a student in England when Arnold Smith became the first CSG in the mid 60s. He did much to ease the Commonwealth through the Rhodesian crisis. Our own Sonny Ramphal (Guyanese) succeeded Smith and Led the Commonwealth through the thorny years of Thatcher and Apartheid. These were great diplomats and superb scholars who fully understood the tricky politics of the Commonwealth.

Have never met Ms.Johnson Smith even though for many years she and her husband owned property bordering onto mine in Montego Bay.

link FanAttick Joined: Nov 12, 2002
6/28/22, 11:08:13 AM 
In reply to Chrissy

2 wrongs dont make a right…Pootin is no angel …in fact he is the exact opposite…
I’ve condemned Uncle Sam for their meddling over the years including in Jamaica..likewise I’m condemning Pootin now…it is not an excuse to say that Uncle Sam did it too…

link Overthrow Joined: Mar 23, 2021
6/28/22, 12:04:39 PM 
The reactivation of colonial programming for the master race affects so many in the Caribbean. Laughable when crap about progress is spewed by clowns.

6/28/22, 12:23:32 PM 
In reply to FanAttick
We agree on the no angel part.
The problem is people expect me to side with the Western Powers - that will not happen given their history and present.

6/28/22, 12:34:29 PM 
In reply to Chrissy

who expects that?

i expect people to be honest, tho.

Very Happy Smile Sad Surprised Shocked Confused Cool Laughing Razz Embarassed Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Rolling Eyes Wink

Pages: 1  2  next