The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Lewis Hamilton demands action after Nelson Piquet

Chrissy 2022-06-29 19:45:41 

uses racist epithet about him

Lewis Hamilton has said “the time has come for action” after a video emerged with the three-times F1 world champion Nelson Piquet using racist language when speaking about the British driver. Piquet used the term in an interview that was conducted last year but which was released publicly on Monday night.

Formula One and Hamilton’s Mercedes team had already condemned Piquet on Tuesday morning but Hamilton reacted with anger via Twitter, stating: “It’s more than language. These archaic mindsets need to change and have no place in our sport. I’ve been surrounded by these attitudes and targeted my whole life. There has been plenty of time to learn. Time has come for action.”

The video of the interview was picked up by Brazilian media including CNN, which reported his words as he referred to the incident. It included an epithet that can be translated as the N-word.

Racists will be racists shock shock shock

bdaTryangle 2022-06-29 19:49:53 

I don't follow F1 too deep but knew Piquet only for his championship wins. Wondered why he wasn't mentioned in the same breath as Senna, Prost, Mansell when they talked about great drivers of that era.

But having read that he's had a bit of a controversial past when it comes to former rivals; and this deal with racist comments aimed at Lewis is damning.

Chrissy 2022-06-29 21:49:04 

In reply to bdaTryangle
Yep - Nita decent human being- scum

mikesiva 2022-06-30 07:06:07 

In reply to bdaTryangle

Piquet is a racist.

bdaTryangle 2022-07-01 12:45:14 

Max Verstappen belatedly jumps in and says his gf's father is not a racist.

He's using the often-tried defense of:

"I think the wording that was used, even though, of course, we have different kind of cultures and things that were said when they were younger, is not correct."