The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jamaica Reeling from Second Highest Braindrain

Chrissy 2022-08-20 11:57:36 

in the world

As an increasing number of citizens flee a mix of low-paying salaries, few development opportunities and the psychosocial implications of a high prevalence of crime and violence, Jamaica has the second-highest brain drain index among 177 countries worldwide.

The statistics, as presented by business and economics website TheGlobalEconomy.com, indicated that Jamaica, with a human flight and brain drain index score of 9.1, is only ‘bested’ by fellow small island developing state Samoa, which topped the ranking with a perfect 10.

According to TheGlobalEconomy, the index indicator covers available data between 2007 and 2022 from several sources including central banks, national authorities, the World Bank, United Nations, International Monetary Fund (IMF) and other multilateral entities.

Well done Hand!

shock shock shock

Emir 2022-08-20 12:07:32 

In reply to Chrissy

Not surprised. Jamaica's brain drain has been happening for more than 100 years now.

It is why I do not support our region's subsidy for university level education. Instead, I asked to improve Pre k to high school level and post high school trade and vocational schools

Chrissy 2022-08-20 12:15:50 

In reply to Emir
What subsidy?

BeatDball 2022-08-20 18:54:07 

I have been goutaying (non-Jewmaycans, enlighten on that vocab) this X times...as long as the average bloke cannot earn a decent wage where he can put food on the table, put a likkle in a $avings account, not hassled by civil servants for a bribe, etc. peeps will continue to gallop their arses off out of the region to white majority countries! Of course, the elixir is...you guessed it - the Singaporean/Rwandan style of governance. Fools, mih nah joke.
razz big grin cool

Brerzerk 2022-08-20 21:35:15 

[b]In reply to BeatDball[/
one of the reasons for that is Uncle Sam-dominated monetary institutions finding every means
to devalue the currency of emerging economies. It is really often jus' teefing. Another is them
demanding public sector be starved of monies. Yet, examine any American city, school district etc.
The amount of titles and job positions dem men create fuh big salaries is astounding. If most housing
depts. in US use money paid for salaries to manage homelessness to actually build houses there'd be no
homelessness.

Emir 2022-08-21 12:06:56 

In reply to Chrissy

Under Kamla's last administration, (and hopefully we won't see her anymore) she greatly subsidized university education when Pre K to high school was severely lacking in many areas- there was mass neglect here to subsidize university education. From that period, many of those who then "graduated" could not find jobs that matched their degrees or level, so many migrated- however they could.

The point is the government is responsible to provide a sound education system from Pre K to High school. For University/college level, their responsibility is to create an environment that is conducive to higher education, not pay for that the damn thing

Kamla had ulterior motives for her actions and the level of corruption was far and wide.

Halliwell 2022-08-21 15:50:57 

In reply to Emir

From that period, many of those who then "graduated" could not find jobs that matched their degrees or level, so many migrated- however they could.

Producing a larger pool of qualified individuals
Allowing more skilled individuals to compete on the global stage

Are those not victories?

sgtdjones 2022-08-21 16:02:43 

In reply to Halliwell

Ask him who started the free University education.?

Then one ends up like Rowley in response to Mia's call...

“You go and plant peas in Tobago and see what happens to you,” he said.

“I planted peas in Tobago. Cocrico ate all

rolleyes

Slipfeeler 2022-08-21 18:19:39 

In reply to Chrissy

The only consolation to the brain drain is the USD $1 Billion annual remittances sent back home from the diaspora.
big grin big grin

Ewart 2022-08-21 19:41:50 

If we keep them, we will have to find jobs for them.

This is not happening at a high enough rate.

//

FanAttick 2022-08-21 19:50:32 

In reply to Chrissy

We had a reunion of my Manchester 1st Form class in the Apple a few weeks ago….
Of the 30 odd people who were in that class …aside from those who have sadly departed…at least 30 reside outside of the Yard..

In fact of all the students who started 1st Form with me 90% live abroad..

Chrissy 2022-08-22 00:05:24 

In reply to FanAttick
I’m the only one of my peeps in the Caribbean

Dukes 2022-08-22 12:46:47 

In reply to Chrissy

I VEHEMENTLY DISAGREE with the notion that Jamaica has bigger problems with brain drain than Guyana.
I would bet that if those who wrote this article had spent a month in Guyana ,another month in Jamaica and another month in New York,they would realize what the real deal is.
Obvious things like looking at the Civil Service in the 2 Carom countries, the top performing high school students from 1970 to 2000 and where they are and the percentage of students who graduated from UG and UWI/CAST you would see exactly what I am talking about.
Even in your personal story, even though you spent 3 times your life in Jamaica than Guyana all your family is Guyanese and not a single person is in Guyana.
As I intimated in another post my family reunion had nearly 100 people and only 5 people live in Guyana.
Jamaica still has a reasonably qualified civil service whereas in Guyana it is decimated and people with limited literacy and numeracy skills occupy high office due to the "ESCALATOR SYSTEM".For those who do not know what that means it is the phenomenon whereby you get on at the bottom and with no effort on your part, you automatically reach the top.

Jamaica may be in bad shape but Guyana WUSSER MOE BAD!!!!!!

Slipfeeler 2022-08-22 13:29:32 

In reply to Dukes

Guyana is also on the list in 10th place.

Dukes 2022-08-22 13:55:20 

In reply to Slipfeeler

I know but the notion that Jamaica is worse than Guyana in terms of brain drain is ludicrous.At both the micro or anecdotal as well as macro or scientific there really is no comparison.The people who came up with these results did not do grassroots work they simply sat in air-conditioned offices in developed countries and pulled dat of the internet and came up with results.Jamaica has much more sophisticated reporting systems in terms of tracking their UWI graduates etc.

Simple exercise.Write down a list of 50 people you went to school with and I can guarantee you that you would find a greater percentage of those people in Jamaica as compared to me doing a similar exercise with my peeps in Guyana.

I go back to Guyana quite frequently and I hardly know anybody in Guyana.If I want to see people I know I have to go to New York,Toronto,London etc.As a matter of fact if I go to Barbados or Antigua I will meet a lot of people from Guyana.At one point Barbados with a population of 250,000 had almost 25,000 Guyanese.

doosra 2022-08-22 14:01:44 

In reply to Dukes

related to your first post

Jamaica better off here too

Chrissy 2022-08-22 14:45:21 

In reply to Dukes
All my family has never been Guyanese - lots from Suriname; a few from Bim and one from St Vincent. All but dad's mother (from that generation) moved to the US in the very early 20th century. Mum's parents moved back to Bim (from whence he came). His brother moved to New York in the 40s. My oldest sibling was born in New York which made it easy for anyone else who chose to migrate.

I have no expertise on this matter but I assume these peeps did their homework
IT is possible that Guyana is worse - I don't know.

doosra 2022-08-22 15:06:56 

In reply to Chrissy

there is a world back report on this for Guyana

and those who remain are not necessarily going to make it upwards as Dukes pointed out - the politicians, from all sides, pick their own people to top posts and everything else

in my discipline most of the graduates leave

Chrissy 2022-08-22 15:56:45 

In reply to doosra

and those who remain are not necessarily going to make it upwards

This could be said for JA too - sadly all that does is make more people leave.
The sad truth is that as the teachers, scientists, doctors, nurses, etc. leave, all we see is more deterioration in all spheres.
I am beyond stunned at the deterioration in language at all levels.
We have people supposedly teaching English who aren't fluent in the language. Go figure.

The irony is that visas will soon be rejected over said language skills. What a blasted mess.

birdseye 2022-08-22 16:53:21 

In reply to Dukes

At one point Barbados with a population of 250,000 had almost 25,000 Guyanese.
If one wants to be impish having been to Barbados a few times one may inquiry how many of the expat qualify as brain drainers
wink wink wink

Jumpstart 2022-08-22 17:03:38 

In reply to Emir

yuh know ironically.........a certain TT journalist who has a spot on the guardian's newspaper was singing JA's praises the other day while castigating the supposedly ever failing TT state

michaelmax 2022-08-22 17:28:46 

Here is what I will say. A number of my fellow school mates are still here but a number of them are also overseas. As a teacher I can tell you that both experienced and less experienced teachers are leaving. This is a combination of salaries and working conditions inclusive of poor administrative leadership. This is compounded by retirements and going back years under BOTH administrations teachers were being reminded five years before time that they had to retire and no extensions. So now we have the worst of all worlds.

Chrissy 2022-08-22 17:34:19 

In reply to birdseye
The better question is how many Bajans moved to Guyana from Bim after the Federation Riots?

Chrissy 2022-08-22 17:35:02 

In reply to michaelmax
Well said

birdseye 2022-08-22 17:44:09 

In reply to Chrissy Bajans I spoke to would have you to believing migration is a one-way street all leading to Barbados

Slipfeeler 2022-08-23 15:47:44 

In reply to Dukes

I tend to agree with you Duke that the Guyanese numbers should a bit closer to Jamaica’s. As I live and work with numerous Guyanese, in fact, most of my daughters’ friends and classmates here in Canada are Guyanese.