The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Mia wants to plant Peas in Tobago...powen?

sgtdjones 2022-08-20 22:51:25 

Mia wants to plant Peas in Tobago...powen?

ALTHOUGH Heads of Caricom states gathered on Friday at the second Agri Investment Forum and Expo, at the National Academy of Performing Arts, Port of Spain, to focus on the very serious issue of food security, the event still had several moments of levity.One came in the form of an exchange between Barbados Prime Minister Mia Mottley and TT’s Prime Minister as she called on people to begin planting peas in Tobago.

“Not even a bassman in our head should stop us from planting peas in Tobago,” she said to loud applause, in obvious reference to Shadow’s classic calypso Bassman.
She urged people to begin planting short-term crops and raising fast-growing livestock, and to begin eating what is grown in the region, not only because of the financial implications, but because of health as well.

She also called for a regional calorie counter for local and regional dishes.“How much calories are going to be in the roti you going to serve me later Keith?” Mottley asked.
“How much calories are there in breadfruit? How much calories are there in the ingredients in the corn soup?”

Link Text

sgtdjones 2022-08-20 22:58:13 

Trinidad and Tobago hosts Agri Investment Forum and Expo

Drapsey 2022-08-21 12:04:08 

In reply to sgtdjones

She also called for a regional calorie counter for local and regional dishes.“How much calories are going to be in the roti you going to serve me later Keith?” Mottley asked.
“How much calories are there in breadfruit? How much calories are there in the ingredients in the corn soup?”

Good on the future (and first) Emperor (of the Caribbean) for advocating reduced calories consumption. From experience, she knows the effects of such over 'subscription'.

Gwaan, MIA!

Larr Pullo 2022-08-21 12:33:23 

MIA is on point. CARICOM has to take a regional approach to food security. Still too many "foreign" fruits in the grocery. Moreso in Barbados vs say a Grenada.

sudden 2022-08-21 13:09:49 

In reply to Larr Pullo

She full of Shoite

Barry 2022-08-21 13:22:36 

In reply to Drapsey

So Indian Trinidadians must now eat breadfruit and not Roti? Shades of wicked burnham… how much calories in Jerk Chicken and Fries? confused

Barry 2022-08-21 13:28:06 

By the way sada roti is 95 calories, vegetable soup is 105 …. evil

Barry 2022-08-21 13:34:55 

Africa is doing well growing wheat in the highlands… razz

Halliwell 2022-08-21 14:00:26 

In reply to Barry

Mia will do well to stick to the economics of food security, and stay away from the nutrition and health narrative. We, of Indian and African stock have nuff genetic metabolic disease predispositions to deal WITH

Larr Pullo 2022-08-21 14:09:46 

In reply to sudden

Why do you say that?

BTw I was in Barbados last week and I went to a restaurant called Karibu in St James. The young waitress asked me if I wanted POI? I asked her if Barbados has now started making the Hawaiian dish...but then she said Macaroni POI, then I got it...

lol lol lol lol

Drapsey 2022-08-21 14:50:50 

In reply to Barry

Whatever you say, Barry.

... As long as things don't turn out like in the Yardi song, Dickie Soloman:

Plant corn, ih (it) bear peas,
Dickie Soloman

Plant peas, ih (it) bear corn,
Dickie Soloman

sudden 2022-08-21 14:53:33 

In reply to Larr Pullo

This has been a discussion before she was a young minister since 1994. She and her govt has made zero follow thru. Now she has lost 20lbs of blubber she has found religion

I would bet that pie is pronounced the same way in Guyana big grin

JOJO 2022-08-21 14:59:49 

In reply to sudden

But Dr Rowley, in his address, responded to Mottley’s call to plant peas citing his personal woes in planting the crop.

“You go and plant peas in Tobago and see what happens to you,” he said.

“I planted peas in Tobago. Cocrico ate all. And if I touched a cocrico is straight to jail I going, because it is a protected species.

People may think that Rowley was saying that in jest but I am sure he was dead serious. He quite skillfully highlighted the distinction between the simplistic and populist “eat what you grow—grow your own food” and the real practical difficulties of doing so. Small scale farming is inefficient and costly. Even the large scale farms in many countries survive on all kinds of government concessions and subsidies.

Curtis 2022-08-21 15:07:51 

In reply to sudden

Why you want to go down in history as a Mia hater?

sgtdjones 2022-08-21 15:12:03 

In reply to Curtis

It happens when your rass sodden has been kicked 60/0 in elections.

rolleyes

Curtis 2022-08-21 15:23:48 

There is hope for Sudden, he will discover his love for Mia

Wake up and Sudden's in love.