The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

My WC squad

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 00:24:20 

1. Evin Lewis (opening bat)

2. Kyle Mayers (opening bat and bowl)

3. Brandon King (middle order/backup opening bat)

4. Nicolas Pooran (captain and wk batsman)

5. Rovman Powell (middle order bat)

6. Shimron Hetmyer (middle order bat)

7. Jason Holder (lower order bat and medium pace bowler)

8. Odean Smith (lower order bat and fast bowler)

9. Akeal Hosein (spin bowl and useful lower order bat)

10. Alzarri Joseph (fast bowler and useful lower order bat)

11. Oded McKoy (left arm fast bowler)

That would be my starting 11 on Australian wickets. Won't need too many spin.

My other 4 to complete the 15 man squad would be:

1. Fabian Allen (Back up spin option and middle to lower order bat)

2. Raymon Reifer (back up medium pace option and middle to lower order bat)

3. Andre Fletcher (best option for back up keeper as he has the experience and also serves as a back open bat and middle order bat)

4. Hayden Walsh (only legbreak bowler we have if needed against a particular opponent).

Reserves:

1. Dominic Drakes (back up medium pace all-rounder)

2. Romario Shepherd (back up lower order bat who can bowl in the middle of the innings)

3. Jayden Seales (back up pace bowler)

4. Gudakesh Motie (back up spinner)

Raskil 2022-09-08 00:28:36 

Why always Odean before Shepherd?

Just curious

I like them both however Odean makes it without question while Shepherd is on the margin

Conorboy 2022-09-08 00:32:12 

In reply to b4u8me2

Good to see that you have not selected any of the self promotional has beens that embarrassed us at the last WC

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 00:34:37 

In reply to Raskil

I had Odean before Shepherd because of his extra pace to support Alzarri on those bouncy Australian pitches. Also, his death bowling as of late has been better than Shepherd. I always laugh and say Odean seems to go at 10 runs an over no matter what stage of the innings he bowls. Ten runs an over in the death is not bad.

Raskil 2022-09-08 00:39:29 

In reply to b4u8me2

You addressed the bowling
How about the batting

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 00:46:37 

In reply to Raskil

You addressed the bowling
How about the batting

I do believe Shepherd is the more useful batsman. However, with a starting 11 that bats down to number 10 with McKoy also useful with the bat I am more inclined to play the more useful bowler over the more useful batsman.

Raskil 2022-09-08 00:50:48 

In reply to b4u8me2

That is your opinion
Whenever we needed batsmen in ‘the tail’ it was after a collapse
Shepherd handles collapse situation pretty well

Prove me wrong

anthonyp 2022-09-08 01:34:52 

Pooran and Hetymyer must bat at 3 and 4..

Rutherford should also be up there.. Would pick him as a back up middle order batsman instead of Reifer.

1. Lewis/King
2. Mayers
3. Pooran
4. Hety
5. Powell
6. Allen/Rutherford
7. Holder
8. Smith/Shepherd
9. Hosein
10. Alzarri
11. McCoy

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 04:28:22 

In reply to Raskil

Except that I am not picking a final 11 for a collapse lol. I'm picking the most balanced team to bat and blow. But you are right, it's my opinion cause it's my suggested 11 lol.

VoopsandOut 2022-09-08 12:06:39 

Does Holder deserve to be in the starting XI? Not too sure about that. Smith v Shepherd is a tough choice but Smith perhaps is marginally better bowling while I think that Shepherd is a better bat if you need someone to face more than 10 balls. What about Royal? I think that he has been bowling well for the past couple seasons but no one seems to mention him. Would you put Walsh before Cariah as a leggie?

Pacy 2022-09-08 12:23:13 

Sinclair did well with the opportunities given to him. I would have him ahead of Hayden Walsh Jr and Motie for this WC.

Pacy 2022-09-08 12:24:16 

In reply to VoopsandOut

Holder is too sweet with the ball. With Shephard and Odean also being expensive, I do not think we should have all 3 of them in any 11.

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 13:37:01 

In reply to VoopsandOut

Would you put Walsh before Cariah as a leggie?

Yes because I have not seen Cariah in a T20 setting. Would have been great if he was playing in the CPL so we could see what he offers. But for now, I believe we should always have a leggie as an option and I don't see any other leggie around.

Kay 2022-09-08 13:57:29 

In reply to b4u8me2

Yes because I have not seen Cariah in a T20 setting. Would have been great if he was playing in the CPL so we could see what he offers.

So shouldn't you be doing same for all the other players in the CPL before starting this thread?

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 14:52:54 

In reply to Kay

So shouldn't you be doing same for all the other players in the CPL before starting this thread?

No, because the players I suggested I already know what they have to offer. Voopsandout asked me specifically about Cariah. I have never seen Cariah in a T20 do I have no clue what he has to offer so how can he be picked? Neither is Cariah playing in the CPL for anyone to see what he has to offer to a T20 team. Therefore, I do not understand your question about doing the same for all the other players. Hasn't all the other players played T20 and we already know their capabilities in a T20 setting?

Kay 2022-09-08 15:16:49 

In reply to b4u8me2

Hasn't all the other players played T20 and we already know their capabilities in a T20 setting?

My point is that it is too early for this sort of exercise as there is still time for players to put their hands up. Apparently the lead selector is leaning in the that direction ...

The chief selector said the CPL presents the final window for players to impress.

"If you've got a competition and somebody is playing well, I think his name should really come up for selection, so I think performance is very important to us. We did not say we have picked the World Cup team, so all the games leading up to the World Cup we must take them into consideration," Haynes explained.

Haynes

b4u8me2 2022-09-08 15:25:50 

In reply to Kay

Except that this is my suggested squad and not Haynes' smile

doosra 2022-09-08 15:29:04 

In reply to b4u8me2

Drakes out of CPL and that may impact his selection

FanAttick 2022-09-08 17:55:00 

In reply to Raskil

Why always Odean before Shepherd?

Just curious

I like them both however Odean makes it without question while Shepherd is on the margin

Question Answered?

Raskil 2022-09-08 19:52:16 

In reply to FanAttick

No

That’s unfair!

bird 2022-09-08 19:59:52 

In reply to b4u8me2

what has Allen done recently to merit selection also instead Holder, i will piay an out and out fast bowler in Seals

positiveg 2022-09-08 22:02:38 

I don't see Lewis lasting a full tournament,
Fletcher in, he as back up.
Pooran not playing like he's a sure pick, or maybe he's playing like that because he's a sure pick .
Either way he needs a talking to by the COS to know not even he seat on the flight booked.

kazakman 2022-09-08 23:05:13 

It is a good thing you are not a selector.
What is the basis for Lewis" selection (past performance of course) Fletcher has been performing lately and he is not automatic selection
Shepherd should not be near that team. He has to go back to the drawing board to learn to bowl
¾

b4u8me2 2022-09-09 02:04:43 

In reply to kazakman

It is a good thing you are not a selector.

If of the 19 players I suggested all you have a problem with is Lewis and Shepherd (who I suggested as a reserve) then how is your comment supported? Lol. Which set of selectors you know of that pleases everyone? smile

natty_forever 2022-09-10 13:09:04 

In picking from performances in CPL to date
King
Mayers
Fletcher
Holder
Hetty
Joseph
Hosien
Motie
O.Smith
Shepard
Rutherford
CORNWALL
Allen
POWELL
The Real

Those are the names that came to mind without looking at stats.

b4u8me2 2022-09-14 15:48:21 

I must say I didnt foresee Charles getting a recall or Cariah getting selected when he has not played T20. Only four T20 matches in his career. If he was in their plans then he ought to have played in the home series against Bangladesh, Pakistan and NZ. Also did not see Cottrell getting selected when he cannot even make the Patriots team consistently. Seales would have been a better option on those Australian pitches. I am happy for Reifer. He has been doing well.

positiveg 2022-09-14 15:49:56 

Carnahan I didn't see. The only switch would be Cariah for Fletcher or so.
Cottrell and Lewis gonna cantbbe injured for us