The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

British Royals are a toxic inbred den of backbiting and racism

sgtdjones 2022-09-09 23:29:58 

The British Royals are a toxic inbred den of backbiting and racism

The monarchy rests on the bedrock assertion that some humans are born to rule others, that this right to rule passes through the bloodline, and that God intended it that way. Dress it up in as many royal weddings as you like, but this belief is abhorrent. I don’t claim that the Colonies are anywhere near perfect (we have endless hypocrisies and cruelties of our own), but at least we’ve gotten the theory right, that all humans are created equal.The last name of the Windsors is made up. They are actually the Saxe-Coburg and are of German ancestry, not British. Edward VIII who abdicated the throne, was a Nazi sympathizer, as was his wife, the American Wallis Simpson, as was the family of Prince Philip who was born in Greece but considers himself Danish. They are not the direct descendants of the Lancasters or the Tudors, or really any other royal lineage. The very term "Anglo -Saxon" demonstrates that the British clearly have no definitive answer as to their ancestry.....just mutts.....a combo of all the others that showed up and mingled with the pre-existing Picts, Druids, Celts, Vikings, Normans, Jews, Germans, Danes, Jamaicans, Kenyans, Italians, Polish, etc. etc so-forth and so on. Truly an Anglo-Saxon improvement on the principles of "self-government"! All of the colonies of the British Empire are now independent countries. 54 of them, including Canada, India, Australia, and New Zealand, chose to remain tied to Great Britain through the Commonwealth whose head is the Queen. The Commonwealth has its own charter to uphold the values of democracy, human rights, and rule of law.

The monarchy embodies 1,000 years of tradition. That nation has not always behaved well, but don’t blame the monarchy alone for what occurred. Beginning in the late middle ages, the power of the monarchy was transferred, bit by bit, to Parliament. By the time Britain undertook its massive colonial efforts in Africa and India, the monarchy was a relic and had no real power.Revolutions are relatively easy, but constructing a new identity and new rituals to replace the old ones is very hard. There is no guarantee that the new will be better than the old.The monarchy in the UK is (symbolically) at the heart of the entire political system and makes up a lot of the national identity. It serves some psychological needs. The people who pushed for the colonization of Africa were the preachers - who wanted to spread Christianity - and the capitalists, who wanted to exploit the resources found there. Not to say that the aristocrats didn't benefit as well.I have always cherished and admired the Parliamentary Procedure of the Central Table that's "two broadswords wide".....in order to establish a neutral zone whereupon neither side can hack the other side to death. It may be an advantage to have a head of state who has no political power. The reality here in the UK is, however, very different from that. Although we are constantly fed the line that our head of state, the Queen, has no political power and does not interfere in political issues, it is fiction. She in fact wields very significant political power and influence. Moreover, it is not only the Queen, but the wider Royal Family, that have, and exercises such power and influence. Yet there is no mechanism that I am aware of by which they can be held accountable to us - her "subjects" - even though taxpayers pay huge sums to keep them including circa $135 million (probably far more) annually for their security. It's time for this to change - it should have happened long ago.

The British do not want to abolish the monarchy; they recognize its value in symbolizing and uniting the nation. Perhaps the battle cry after the Harry/Meghan interview should be, not “Abolish the Monarchy,” but “Free the Windsors.” Actually, it wasn't her family that stole those lands, it was both government and private interests that did so (think of India). However, the monarchy did nothing to stop that. Many British citizens, know that what Britain did to so many countries in the 'Empire' was appalling, again India/Pakistan is a prime example. The British monarchy is completely out of touch.The idea of the ruling, however symbolically, due to class, is abhorrent. Also, I think that there is a vast number of civil servant types who are continuing and promoting the status quo, within the system. There seems to be an endless number of rules and regulations that are arcane and out of date.

Wearing western clothing, drinking tea, and worshipping a different god DOES NOT make you "civilized". If anything, the rape, murder, and plunder they committed in all these colonies prove them to be savages if anything.

The very existence of the monarchy is an insult to human dignity. It claims that certain people are by their nature more valuable and important than mere plebs and that God intended it to be that way. And not for any high-minded reason as if they spent a lifetime preparing to be head of state or something but rather because their great-great-great grandfather or whoever had the biggest army with the best weapons. When you boil it down that's all the monarchy really is, the descendants of violent men (and it was almost entirely men) who did violent things to attain power. They have no more legitimacy to rule than a tin pot dictator. It baffles me that so many people in Britain still worship these people as some sort of semi-divine cult.

Queen Elizabeth II had a brilliant opportunity to do something about race relations on a global scale and prove the value of the Monarchy by throwing the entire weight of the British Crown behind making Meghan Markle feel completely welcome in the UK. She should have made it known to all that any racism directed at the Duchess would be seen as an attack on the Monarchy. Instead, Meghan felt abandoned. What an embarrassment it is that she had to reach out to Human Resources for help. Are the British so caught up in the pageantry that they can't see the Royal Family is a royal joke? I suspect that India may not agree with you; the UK, over its reign in India looted over $45 to $60 trillion and to add insult to injury, contributed to the death of millions in the 1943 Bengal Famine by deliberately withholding stocks of grain as reserves that were in the end, never utilized. These are simply a couple of incidents from a grievous litany that does no credit to the English. As an endnote, post-independence and after India commenced hitting its stride, from the 70s onwards there has been no widespread famine in the country.The idea that not having something as backward as a monarchy is a "utopian fantasy" is a curious one. Plenty of countries have no monarchy, it's a perfectly achievable aim.
No one is claiming that it creates a utopia, least of all those that made a point saying the opposite, that being a country without a monarchy doesn't make us perfect.It just makes us a country without an archaic devotion to celebrating hereditary inequality.

I can't imagine anything sadder than a system in which, if you are the "heir", it's your job to wait for your parents to die so that you can do what you were literally born to do. And that job is to be a living "mascot", show up in military uniform in front of your "subjects" and wave at them every few months, voice no opinions on subjects deemed "too political" (subject to the whims of the palace bureaucracy), think up charities to give each other medals for, and know that your heir is, in turn, waiting for *you* to die so that they can fulfill *their* purpose in life. I wouldn't be these people for all their money and privilege - what a sad life. My primary objection to the British monarchy is its perpetuation of white supremacy. Unless the monarchy is willing to adapt, it is indeed a relic of the past. The British Empire, while spreading its language and religion, got rich by exploiting and looting many cultures to build its political power around the world. If you cannot even recognize that simple fact, why then exist? You are simply promoting heredity: deference by blood - a view that is quite anachronistic to modern times. Absolutely! If the monarchy cannot recognize the fact of its own larcenous past, it stands for deference by blood and nothing more. You offer the institution a way forward and grounds for its condemnation if it refuses. It seems to me that most people have just as many chances of becoming members of the royal family as they do of becoming a billionaire. Instead, we're required to scrape and bow before some utterly random rich wastrel whose claim to legitimacy is based on an anti-majoritarian institution that makes less sense than the concept of monarchy.

"British monarchy is a toxic den of backbiting and racism."Yes, much better to overthrow them and replace them with Democracy that of course has never shown any backbiting or racism.I'm surprised racism against Phillip hasn't been talked about over the past few days. Of course, he has mostly been given a pass by the British press which has referred to his obnoxious statements as merely "gaffes." To quote one of his many racist utterances, he told British students who were visiting China that they would become "slitty-eyed" if they stayed too long. "Ah, the old colonial mind," as someone in my "commonwealth" country used to say. But just wait until Charles ascends the throne. He is uninformed and ill-tempered and will lay waste to the throne. Maybe that is a blessing in disguise.Interestingly, the only royal who seems to get this is Harry.Harry made clear that the family lives in fear of the bureaucrats, and that the latter are in bed with the media.This toxic brew is what terrified Meghan and victimized Diana.The Brits and their monarchy have never faced up to their colonial past and many of them apparently think the empire was a force for good. Tell that to the peoples whose cultures and lives were decimated.

From a wider angle, historical viewpoint.....understand that the Confederate Flag comes from a long-running Scots-Irish tradition of infuriating resistance to authority. The Cross of St Andrew......Not only a Confederate Flag....but also the Flag of Scotland.....hidden also inside the Flag of Jamaica......hidden inside the Union Jack(the UK...St Andrew(Scotland) combined with St George(England))....at some point, one can even see the Cross of St. Andrew on the flags of the lost Spanish Empire.

Nobody’s perfect - tribalism of any sort - from village to nation kills.

sgtdjones 2022-09-09 23:43:05 

Pondie and Halliwell consider themselves Anglo Saxons...

Anglo Saxons above are considered ..."mutts"

razz razz razz razz

My stomach hurts from laughing

sgtdjones 2022-09-10 14:59:40 

Bumped just for "Mutt Halli"

razz

Halliwell 2022-09-10 16:26:32 

In reply to sgtdjones

Canada isn’t a republic
Your Canadian overlords are in knots trying to align themselves with the late Monarch

I’d hush if I was you, and I’d more than hush if I were you big grin

sgtdjones 2022-09-10 16:42:04 

In reply to Halliwell

Anglo Saxon Halli

Canada is part of the Commonwealth of Nations, the Trudeaus are Canadian ( French) first and we have our own Constitution.
Being polite about an old lady passing away shouldn't be construed as aligning themselves with you Brits.

During the War with Hitler, Canada served an important role, or your Monarchy would be speaking and have more German blood than it has at present.

lol

Barry 2022-09-10 16:48:11 

In reply to Halliwell

The fat bitch don’t know how to hush cool cool cool

sgtdjones 2022-09-10 17:24:39 

Keep whining Barry/ jaydee/problemjay.

Empty vessels make the most noise...

Brerzerk 2022-09-10 17:39:22 

One ting-The Yardie Flag is one of only two in the world that has neither red, white or blue. That distinction and the pointedly, delineated reason for that makes your adding it to the symbols above inappropriate.

Halliwell 2022-09-10 18:32:06 

In reply to Brerzerk

All those words big grin

Y’all still under Charles right?

Brerzerk 2022-09-10 18:56:30 

In reply to Halliwell
I admire your ability to conflate. Props for 'conjoining woefully, unrelated 'tings' 'cause seh it enhances your orgasmic delight.

lol lol lol lol lol

sgtdjones 2022-09-16 01:39:35 

In reply to Halliwell

Halli

I heard Pondie got invited to the funeral

So you didn't get an invite? huh

Pondie berths his Yacht near Britannia...maybe that's why.

your 10 ft boat is berthed behind your house...ok

cool

Chrissy 2022-09-16 01:50:46 

The rules here still say three paragraphs from articles and a link.

sgtdjones 2022-09-16 01:56:15 

In reply to Chrissy

The rules here still say three paragraphs from articles and a link.

I wrote the article ...so there is no link...
What is the problem.

sgtdjones 2022-09-16 14:50:53 

I view the above an insult

Time to move on...had fun folks... cool