The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Tobago... impasse between Duke and Farley

sgtdjones 2022-09-13 14:41:44 

Tobago... impasse between Duke and Farley

This stemmed from a disagreement over funding for the Roxborough Folk Performers, led by former minister Vernella Alleyne-Toppin, who was in New York. Duke slammed the THA on funding and complained about what he called a lack of respect by Augustine.

The latter said $400,000 was given to the performing group but the group has denied receiving any money from the THA.
The issue also led to Duke removing Augustine and two others as deputy leaders of the Progressive Democratic Patriots (PDP), which he leads.

It’s the latest issue between the THA jefes—following tensions on various issues since April—and has erupted publicly now with this matter.Meanwhile, arrangements are being firmed up by senior PDP officials to have a meeting on the impasse between Augustine and Duke later this week. They are hoping to avert a motion of no-confidence, which either Duke (via the party) or Augustine (via THA’s 15-member Assembly) might call against the other.

Link Text

With That Ego Idiot Dukes, it was just a matter of time.

rolleyes

sgtdjones 2022-09-13 14:46:54 

Trini Comments:

Nat Turner

The latter said $400,000 was given to the performing group but the group has denied receiving any money from the THA.

According to Mr. Manning, “Weh deh Money Gone?”

Observer

Nat did you read Farley’s statement that the service providers received promissory notes with the intention to subsequently forward Cheques . How can the group receive actual cash if the allocated funds are sent directly to service providers?

San Dan

Duke, through his utterances to date, has already called an implicit 'vote of no confidence', not only in the Chief Secretary but also un the rest of his Assembly colleagues, particularly those in the Executive Council. He has also expressed no confidence in his Administrator and by extension the Chief Administrator who responsibility it is to place Administrators to Divisions. In his latest attack we see Duke attempting to stir public dissatisfaction from among his base, a clear signal of war. The way I see it, his Assembly colleagues must express no confidence in him and have him remove as Deputy Chief Secretary. Failure to do so will allow his to destroy the Administration from within and prevent them from fulfilling their mandate. If Duke wants war let him fight outside not inside the Assembly. In Duke's utterances what I hear is a deeper dissatisfaction than that of how the Roxborough Folk Performers issue was handled by the Executive Council. What I see in the request he has made is a kind of looseness in the use of public funds and he has already shown an unwillingness to give account (no public report on the Dubai visit). The PDP should not try to put a plaster on this sore. In Tobago's interest this has to be dealt with frontally for the Administration to get on with the task which they have been given by Tobagonians.

Claire Rostant

If Tobagonians are as astute as I think they are they will back Farley and lets hope they do that and rid themselves of the walking stain that Duke is in this twin Republic

Alexis Archer

That is the way I see it. And that is the reason for the behavior we seeing now. Duke is so 'ego-driven' that he is willing to destroy his own 'creation' (PDP). This is a sad fact. He should take the title "Founder of the PDP" and take the joint, accumulated wealth of his wife and himself, and prepare for another 'line of work'