The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Haynes frank on selection of WI team for T20 World Cup

CaribbeanCricket.com 2022-09-19 14:55:37 

In responding to questions at a media conference on Wednesday relating to the selection of the 15-member West Indies squad for the Twenty20 World Cup in Australia next month, lead selector The Most Honourable Desmond Haynes was frank.

Coming as it did a couple hours after a live television interview with Ian Bishop, the former Trinidad & Tobago and West Indies fast bowler, during the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) match between Jamaica Tallawahs and St. Kitts & Nevis Patriots at the Queen’s Park Oval in Trinidad, Haynes no doubt braced himself for all sorts of deliveries.

As an outstanding former Barbados and West Indies opening batsman, he stroked the ball with confidence.

International television commentator and former New Zealand pacer Simon Doull said Haynes was “outstanding in his answers and forthright policy”.

Read more at Barbados Today

Full Story

Jumpstart 2022-09-19 15:06:29 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

haynes was excellent in his answers. Russell seems to be on out of form and his not representing WI on a consistent basis in the last 6 months would have made his selection difficult. Carriah looked excellent during the NZ series so his selection wasn't controversial to me at all. Riefer has been banging on the door of the WI for quite some time so he's being rewarded.

velo 2022-09-19 15:40:29 

refreshing for a west indies selector to actually expplain why he chose certain players

Jumpstart 2022-09-19 15:52:51 

In reply to velo

yeah not the unconvincing trash we were given by his predecessors Courtney Browne and Butts....but then again, Haynes is an all time great and those other two are....... lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

imusic 2022-09-19 15:59:56 

In reply to Jumpstart

Harper in particular gave in depth interviews and answered questions regarding squad selection during his tenure.

He was among the first, if not the first head selector to do so.

No need to lie on him to emphasize your point

BTW……it could be said that Haynes’ complete abdication of responsibility regarding communication with Narine by literally throwing his captain under the bus, as well as his weak defence of the Cariah pick could be deemed “unconvincing trash” by some.

Jumpstart 2022-09-19 16:11:28 

In reply to imusic

Harper in particular gave in depth interviews and answered questions regarding squad selection during his tenure.

He was among the first, if not the first head selector to do so.

forgot about harper....he was good too..sorry

Dukes 2022-09-19 16:27:09 

In reply to Jumpstart

What is your take on Sunil's omission?

Narper 2022-09-19 16:40:54 

In reply to Jumpstart

Carriah looked excellent during the NZ series so his selection wasn't controversial to me at all

Did he play T20Is against NZ?
How many ODIs did he play against NZ?
When last did he play a T20 game?
Is a T20 game the same as a OD game?
Are you saying looking good in a few ODIs would automatically make you good in T20Is....especially in a World Cup?
Cariah is ICM quota pick PERIOD

Sylobaby 2022-09-20 00:43:34 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Haynes was not forthright in his answers. He was very confusing and displayed a lot of inconsistencies. Based on his team selection I am left to wonder if his policy is West Indies availability or CPL. Russel, Lewis and Allen weren’t available for our international games. When asked about Russel he simply said they spoke to him. Concerning Lewis he said Pooran spoke to him. Concerning Riefer he said he has always been knocking. How could he be knocking and we just played 5 games against India, 3 against Bangladesh, against South Africa and England and he wasn’t included? A few decent CPL games and he’s on World Cup team? We did the same with Chase last WC and Chase is by far a better player

Sylobaby 2022-09-20 01:04:52 

Bishop I must say was very soft and easy with his fellow team mate. He didn’t push Haynes at all. In fact what we saw was a lot of the boys club and comradery during the interview . I was pretty shocked when Haynes was asked about Shepherd and he said they still have a chance if someone gets injured. Again when asked about Lewis and the fitness test he has refused to take according to Phil Simmons, Haynes said they all have to show they are fit. So Hetmyer couldn’t be selected for home games until he passed his fitness test yet Lewis can be selected for World Cup in Australia before a fitness test? My God Haynes is so inconsistent with his double standard policy. I guess a policy if you are from Barbados and Trinidad but a different one if you from Guyana, Jamaica or the smaller islands

imusic 2022-09-20 01:09:28 

In reply to Sylobaby

Bish was soft on Haynes, but right at the outset of the interview, he mentioned that time was of the essence.

So I get that he had a number of questions to ask and couldn’t engage in no setta long talk about them.

Dukes 2022-09-20 01:23:28 

In reply to imusic

So Hetmyer couldn’t be selected for home games until he passed his fitness test yet Lewis can be selected for World Cup in Australia before a fitness test?

No journalist in the West Indies would dare ask such a question.Do you have any idea why?
The tragedy of WI cricket is that we do not want to "rock the boat" or else we might find some truly disturbing realities.

imusic 2022-09-20 12:57:04 

In reply to Dukes

You always on about Hety. That’s all you appear to care about. Yuh move dey like Jeremy in a different form cool

FuzzyWuzzy 2022-09-20 12:59:36 

As far as I know Haynes does not have training in HR and industrial relations and communications; he is simply replying to questions asked, in the best way he knows how. Why are we expecting from Haynes and other past players, what we are not requesting of our leaders in politics, academic and business community?

doosra 2022-09-20 13:59:13 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy

which selector before had training in HR and industrial relations and communications

and if those are necessary skills how did he get the job / why did he take it if he doesn't have those skills

you are defending Dessie
the other day you said Lewis did him a number

FuzzyWuzzy 2022-09-20 14:24:03 

In reply to doosra

You didn't see the part about other past players? If HR training etc was a prerequisite, then most if not all ex-players would be disqualified. All I am saying is these guys are chosen supposedly for their knowledge of cricket but we are expecting them to be expert communicators and all sorts of people are trotting out leadership traits etc.

Maybe let the selectors pick the team then have the PRO meet the press and explain.

Jumpstart 2022-09-20 14:33:08 

In reply to Narper

Did he play T20Is against NZ?
How many ODIs did he play against NZ?
When last did he play a T20 game?
Is a T20 game the same as a OD game?
Are you saying looking good in a few ODIs would automatically make you good in T20Is....especially in a World Cup?
Cariah is ICM quota pick PERIOD

fidel edwards only had one FC game under his belt when he impressed Brian Lara in the nets and was picked for the deciding test of the 2003 SL series. He took a fiver on debut and we won the test and the series. Your point is?