The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Russell, Narine, Allen’s absence from Windies T20 team

CaribbeanCricket.com 2022-09-20 14:47:06 

THE SELECTION of West Indies cricket teams, regardless of whatever type of tournament they are involved in, is always of tremendous interest to supporters, cricketers, administrators and all those with a keen interest in international cricket and the players who participate.

The 15 players chosen to represent the WI in the T20 World Cup starting on October 16, a year late because of the pandemic, make up an interesting variety. And there is talk about experienced players who have been left out.

In my opinion, the level of commitment necessary to represent WI in an international tournament cannot be overestimated. But some West Indian cricketers, more than any other internationals, seem to treat representing the WI as if it’s just another franchise.

Read more at Newsday

Full Story

doosra 2022-09-20 14:52:16 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

love the image in this article big grin

Dukes 2022-09-20 16:04:47 

However, he is wary of international umpires overseeing games at international level and not giving any leeway.

Maybe Haliwell,Jumpstart et al could explain what the above sentence means.

doosra 2022-09-20 16:20:26 

In reply to Dukes

newsday tt tabloid? big grin

Halliwell 2022-09-20 16:38:58 

In reply to Dukes

I think the picture, by your standards, clears Narine with the straight arm? Case closed?

Newsday is the worst of the tree papers, and they all have entered Tabloid territory to gain market share- Trinis like bacchanal

But…Bryan Davis is Bryan Davis and he knows more cricket than Halliwell.

Dukes 2022-09-20 17:39:37 

In reply to Halliwell

I think the picture, by your standards, clears Narine with the straight arm?

I will excuse you because it seems as though you had an upper class upbringing so you were not one of those "YOUTS" who spent their adolescent days stoning mango trees.
We mango pelters know that in the pelting action the momentum is gained from moving from a bent arm to a straight arm.I imagine your nanny never allowed you to play with the plebs

Newsday is the worst of the tree papers, and they all have entered Tabloid territory to gain market share- Trinis like bacchanal

Thanks for the information, but I am not really interested in a comparative analysis of Journalistic ratings of T&T newspapers or indeed the proclivities of Trinis

Bryan Davis is Bryan Davis and he knows more cricket than Halliwell.

In view of the fact that Bryan Davis played test and first class cricket and the exploits of Halliwell are unknown( Halliwell might in fact be Gus Logie) I will leave that alone.

Alas I am still uncertain as to your esteemed interpretation of the sentence I highlighted in my previous post .I will repeat it for the purposes of clarification

However, he is wary of international umpires overseeing games at international level and not giving any leeway.

P.S All of the above is for entertainment purposes only and not to be taken with any seriousness.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Sylobaby 2022-09-20 20:52:29 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
What has me baffled is, while it is true that Russell, Narine and Allen were all left out from the World Cup and I guess because of their lack of commitment to West Indies cricket but isn’t that the same with Lewis? Why then is he selected? Don’t tell me is because of performance in the CPL because he too hasn’t had a good tournament. In fact Fletcher has so far had a much better CPL Thai Lewis yet Lewis was selected. Another thing we must be clear about is how much money is cricket West Indies paid by the IPL franchises for each player picked for the ipl teams? I know it’s in the millions per player. So if board is paid then why punish players when they put international franchises ahead of our regional tournament? Somebody in authority should just clear the air instead of blaming our players

b4u8me2 2022-09-20 23:15:11 

Neither Narine, Russell or Allen owe their development to the CWI. It's time we stop overstating the CWI's role in the development of these players. In fact KKR has done more for Russell's and Narine's career than the CWI has. Do we then wonder why they are more committed to their particular franchise? When Russell was on a one year drug ban, where was CWI? When Narine was spending months re-working his bowling action, where was CWI? It is KKR who invested in these players over the last 10 years and stood by them in times of need saving their careers. We need to stop being hypocrites. I support them using their skills to set up themselves and their families.

Halliwell 2022-09-21 08:11:32 

In reply to Dukes

All taken in the spirit in which it was meant big grin

Curtis 2022-09-21 12:05:48 

In reply to b4u8me2

No harm at all with those players' career choices, good for them.

But none of those, maybe with exception of Allen, should be picked, so it's a non-story. Naraine, because he has issues with action, Russell because he is unproductive representing WI.

velo 2022-09-21 13:41:32 

allen still has a future if he desires to play for the wi russell and narine should go on about their lives can'tsay they served wi greatly im watching evin lewis who was given a gift by the selectors if after the wc and he still does not make himself available but chooses to play in franchise cricket then he too should be retired

Halliwell 2022-09-21 13:59:09 

In reply to Curtis

That’s easy to say, but hard to back with numbers.

Johnson Charles vs Andre Russell at T20 or T20 i
And Charles doesn’t bowl