The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Trinidad T20 cricket need to regroup

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 03:29:14 

De 2008-2022 generation officially done. Those guys did excellently, winning three titles in the CT20, one Stanford, one Champions League runners up medal and four CPLs. But alas, all good things come to an end

Kay 2022-09-25 03:33:57 

In reply to Jumpstart

Dude chill ... that's not a Trinidad team. You reading too much into this circus.

I agree with Pollard that they should also have a regional format where more youngsters can be exposed. CPL looking for big names regardless of age and fitness

rillo 2022-09-25 03:35:44 

In reply to Jumpstart

They need to stop this friend ting. Rampaul should never be on that x1.
He is not a finisher and he bowls too many short balls. This format is spin friendly. So why not play Prasanna and Patel more/ Why not Pierre?
They need to get new batsmen and Pollard needs to drop some serious weight and hire a personal trainer to sort out his shortcomings in spin and short bowling.
Narine needs to develop at least 2 more balls.
I am very happy this misfiring team is now out.

imusic 2022-09-25 03:48:46 

Reality.

TKR played poor cricket all tournament and do not deeerve to proceed to the playoff stage.

The batting was even poorer and that cost TKR

Pooran
Seifert
Munro
Russell
Pollard

All failed, and failed miserably.

The point about Rampaul and friend ting is fair comment. I don’t know if it’s friend ting, but I knew Ravi would get hammered when I saw he was bowling the last over.

His days are fine and those guys should have known better. Seems like the same thinking that went into selecting the last T20 World Cup team went into selecting this 2022 TKR edition.

No faulting Narine. He’s still the most dangerous bowler in T20 cricket.

Pollard’s captaincy, once an asset…..was clearly questionable this tournament culminating with that decision to bowl Rampaul in that last over tonight.

That did not by itself cost TKR the game, but his captaincy left much to be desired.

Team strategy was poor throughout. It is what it is.

Pooran had a single half century for the entire tournament and struggled to get to double figures the rest of the way

All the best to Royals, Kings, Warriors, and Tallawahs.

May the best team win. Thumbs up emoji

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 03:50:13 

In reply to rillo

Rampaul was one of the better performers for the team this year. Performed excellently on the TT leg and only had issues in his 3rd and last overs today. The fact is the top four has been the problem this season. They had a reasonable partnership today. But this whole season they’ve been terrible. We need to proper openers…..spots I think Lewis and Jangoo can fill……and Deyal can slot in as a number three or four as well.

imusic 2022-09-25 03:54:03 

In reply to Jumpstart

Get real. Ravi had one good match the entire tournament when he took 4 wickets

The rest he was poor. And that’s being kind.

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 04:00:09 

In reply to imusic

Nah we disagree there. He was good against Warriors, kings and Talawahs. His last ball against Kings was a wicket. He just got injured. I would admit that relying on him for an entire season was a gamble

SnoopDog 2022-09-25 04:14:53 

In reply to Jumpstart

Dude. Get it in your thick skull. This is not a Tittie team. It’s a franchise team based in Tittieland.

Why would Lewis, Deyal, and Jangoo play for TKR when they can, and will, play for other franchises?

Might as well go ahead and start calling TKR the Red Farts again. lol

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 04:49:59 

In reply to SnoopDog

Dude…….the reason we’ve been so successful is because we’ve been winning since before the CPL.
The core of the team for the last 7 years has been the team that was winning the Caribbean t20 and going to the Champions League: the two Bravos, narine, Rampaul, evin Lewis, Pollard, Kevon Cooper, Ramdin, Lendl Simmons……….yuh think is by chance we won four CPL titles? Yuh think is by chance they purge the Red Force and sent the players to different territories so that the CPL would at least have some competition? Because the last CT20 was so uncompetitive. TT literally didn’t break a sweat in 2013 going to a hat trick of titles. Which is why I am saying that since the core of that side has either retired or is clearly on the way to retirement, we need an overhaul. Homie if you can’t see the correlation then yuh blind and hopeless

SnoopDog 2022-09-25 04:59:21 

In reply to Jumpstart

Since you’re so thick I’ll say it one last time for you hoping against all hope it will finally sink in:

This. Is. Franchise. Cricket.

lol lol lol

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 05:00:33 

In reply to SnoopDog

Like trying to have a discussion with Helen Keller. You’re helpless

SnoopDog 2022-09-25 05:04:25 

In reply to Jumpstart

Go talk to Pullfraud, he needs a friend right about now. lol

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 05:17:40 

In reply to SnoopDog

Clearly you too if yuh arguing with the loser at one in the morning

SnoopDog 2022-09-25 05:22:50 

In reply to Jumpstart

Don’t study this thing Bro.

Dem Mindian owners will clean slate and you’ll have a brand spanking new TKR line up next year. I recon half the team will be foreigners. lol

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 05:24:34 

In reply to SnoopDog

Certainly…….get rid of the entire back room staff first.

SnoopDog 2022-09-25 05:34:45 

In reply to Jumpstart

I recon Hosein, Russell, Pooran and Narine will get picked up by other franchises. Pullfraud might go unsold and just stay with TKR. Munro is gone. Siefert and Pierre will be retained.

Lots of room for the TKR Mindian owners to fill with international and a few local Caribbean players.

Jeremy 2022-09-25 09:24:58 

Trinidad miss Denesh Ramdin. He understand all the trini bowlers and give lots of encouragement to them.

I was happy when Ramdin was drafted by the warriors in the premier edition of the CPL.

This is the 1st year ramdin is not playing CPL.

I see Ramdin sign up for the Legend League.

I rate him very high as a keeper. He is always in the game and helping the cappo to set field and things.

granite 2022-09-25 09:50:04 

TKRs very first match was a lucky win,and from that first match I didn't see them getting into the Playoffs,I went for Tallawahs but also thought of GAW but I had doubts about the captaincy,they now look the best team,the team that may well win this CPL.I would love the final to be GAW vs Tallawahs.GAW hit form at exactly the right time and momentum is also on their side.

Jeremy 2022-09-25 09:56:48 

In reply to granite

Gurbazz is a big reason why guyana has turn things around and the home crowd has help alot as a 12 man.

Shakib is now catching form. Odean has find form with the bat too.

Drapsey 2022-09-25 11:24:10 

In reply to Jumpstart

Certainly…….get rid of the entire back room staff first.

So, you would be looking for a wuk, wouldn't you?

BTW, I had to make a comment on seeing you sitting on pins and needles in the 'back room' during last night's game.

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 11:54:12 

In reply to granite

Yip. Was fortunate to beat Warriors in the first game too. They were 80-1 and gave it away

Emir 2022-09-25 12:03:13 

In reply to Jumpstart

Agree with your sentiments. Polly is calling for a separate T20 junior sort of league to unearth talent

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 12:03:55 

In reply to Jeremy

. Trinidad miss Denesh Ramdin. He understand all the trini bowlers and give lots of encouragement to them.

THIS. Ramdin was a busy player…….could hit the big shots but also made a lot of singles. We missed Lendl as well but both of them retired and are now in some Masters league in india. Munro and Siefert wasted too many balls, even though they had a reasonable partnership last night. I would really try to get back Lewis next year. Mark Deyal as well and especially Amir Jangoo. Jangoo is on the bench at Talawahs and we could not get a partnership that was worth over 30 runs in the tournament

If you look at a lot of the games TT Red Force and TKR won, the tight games, like against Cobras in 2011 or against the Patriots in the 2017 CPL final, Ramdin was at the other end, making singles and reducing the load on the big hitters. That was clearly missing this year

Jeremy 2022-09-25 21:51:03 

[b]In reply to Jumpstart

Ramdin was complimenting the trini bowlers like badree, dave mohammed and narine. He understand how to keep to them. They had good chemistry together that's why ramdin use to have so many stumping victims.

Ramdin understand the game. He was setting fields too as a vice captain.

Jumpstart 2022-09-25 21:57:33 

In reply to Jeremy

Tactically Ramdin wasn’t as good as Pollard. Pollard and Bravo have been the best captains in the CPL tactically which is why they’ve won two and four CPLs as captains respectively. We missed Ramdin as a batsman who kept the scoreboard ticking through singles. Singles, especially when you have aging hitters like Pollard and Russell, are extremely important in keeping the required run rate in check.

openning 2022-09-25 22:35:45 

In reply to Jumpstart

De 2008-2022 generation officially done. Those guys did excellently, winning three titles in the CT20, one Stanford, one Champions League runners up medal and four CPLs. But alas, all good things come to an end

You and I differ so so much, youare a supprter of all T&T, and others who were part of WIPA, that why you make very little sense when speaking of modern day cricket.
When you look at the Red Force, how many emerging players played for this year?
Check the other franchises and you will see teams used Emerging players, so as to had experience foreign players into the playing X1.
Russell was a very bad draft, so was Darren Bravo, all stink with friendly selection.
Did the team need Rampaul?

Jumpstart 2022-09-26 05:58:23 

In reply to openning

I agree with you. Red Force has not provided many, if any new players to the recent TKR squads. The squad has mostly been reliant on the 2008-2013 squads that won the regional t20 championship 4 out of the available 5 times during that period. Even when we blew away every other team last year in the super 50, I’m absolutely positive we were the oldest team in the competition, with Simmons(scored 162 in the final versus Guyana), Pollard, Rampaul(top wick taker in the tournament), both bravos, Ramdin etc. I don’t remember Jangoo, De Silva or Deyal being part of that squad. The only emerging player I could think of is Searkes. Which is why I’m saying it’s the end of an era and times to rebuild.

But it’s also partially CWI’s fault. CPL is a money making venture. It is not that TT does not have young players, it’s just that they’re not really getting a chance. Jangoo is on the bench at Talawahs, even though he has a few good performances this year. Deyal was on the bench at Kings for parts of the season as well. Pollard has been saying since last year that we need a second tournament to let the young guys get a chance. I mean look at the leewards franchise, SKN Patriots, I do not think this year or last year, they had a local Leeward Islands player, might have had one on the bench but certainly not on the team

imusic 2022-09-26 12:22:59 

In reply to openning

how many emerging players played for this year?

Leonardo Julien
Shamron Lewis

rillo 2022-09-26 12:38:11 

In reply to Jumpstart

Rampaul is iffy at best. You had Seales, Lewis and spinners in a spinner friendly tournament and yet you went with fast bowlers.
Rampaul is past his expiry date, Yes, he bowled a few good spells but he is not a match winner and that is hat TKR needs.
If you cannot get wickets then do like Narine and hold it down.
TT needs a whole new reset in thought and personnel across the board.
This coaching staff was the worst.

doosra 2022-09-26 13:18:41 

In reply to rillo

I heard Rampaul was not in the original squad but came in as injury cover?

Seales apparently carried a little niggle all along so was managed.

Pooran
Hosein
Seales

a good start for the rebuilding...not regrouping

there is the issue of 'team identity'...i felt that was lacking for a while with GAW..esp when the likes of Keemo and Sherfane left but also a foreign captain

getting the team identity-building going is important imho and no matter what we say in our region identity is strongly linked to country ...so building it from there with solid overseas players helps...

imusic 2022-09-26 13:24:08 

What happened to Ali Khan?

A real crowd favourite ( de gyal dem darlin anyway) and excellent performer for TKR in past seasons.

DuPavilion turned out to be an inadequate replacement.

Jumpstart 2022-09-26 13:30:55 

In reply to imusic

ali khan got injured in july.....didn't recover in time for the tournament

Dupavilion was an inadequate replacement

Jumpstart 2022-09-26 13:32:36 

In reply to rillo

This coaching staff was the worst.

I've been complaining about nayar(the coach) for the entire tournament. TKR's fans in india have been as well. He's out of his depth nd i doubt we'll be seeing him next year.

doosra 2022-09-26 13:50:18 

In reply to Jumpstart

the ownership structures may continue to impact team compositions / coaches etc...

Jumpstart 2022-09-26 14:07:04 

In reply to doosra

yes......the owners looking for a return on investment, the developmental needs of the region is not really on their agenda. They can't be blamed for that, they're businessmen and in it to make a profit. Is up to CWI to come up with mechanisms to blood new players

openning 2022-09-26 15:54:46 

In reply to Jumpstart
We cannot be Monday morning Quarterbacks, CWI sold this formats sometime ago, it is now up to every Island and Guyana to have local T20 tournaments.
It will be hard for another entity to have a calendar available for a new regional T20 series.

Jumpstart 2022-09-26 16:04:52 

In reply to openning

homie....most boards already have a t20 tournament. TTCB has a t20 tournament, sadly postponed by the pandemic, JCA has the t20 Bashment. I'm positive Barbados has a in-house t20 turnament as well. In addition to the prestige, the rivalries in WI cricket lead to pressure moments. Why do you think TT in the first CL T20 tournament was able to reach the final? Its because of stanford, we were already used to playing under pressure.

openning 2022-09-26 16:28:21 

In reply to Jumpstart
So what is Pollard saying, knowing full well, CWI sold this format and would be sued, if a competitive T20 regional CWI series is instituted.
What is your suggestion on a format?