The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The Daily Mail and Bonnie Raitt

bdaTryangle 2023-02-07 14:58:59 

I know the Daily Mail has been around for a long time, so it's really bonkers that they had a headline about an 'unknown Blues singer' winning a Grammy the other night.

Bonnie freaking Raitt?

Is this another byproduct of the social media age and not checking anything before the invention of facebook and twitter? They ought to really know better.

JahJah 2023-02-07 15:54:23 

In reply to bdaTryangle

The same generation of 'writers' that tried to trash Pele's legacy, and still trying to do the same to Jordan's, no doubt.

We are experiencing the end of days. That's all I gotta say.

SnoopDog 2023-02-07 16:04:39 

In reply to bdaTryangle

The Daily Mail is journalism for dotards, by dotards.

Chrissy 2023-02-07 16:30:04 

In reply to bdaTryangle
No one would call me a country music fan, let alone Bonnie Raitt, but have you listened to the lyrics of that song. It's about a visit from a young man who received the heart of the person's dead child.

It was a tribute to John Prine.

Forget the Daily Mail

Still, no one was more surprised than she was to win the award for her song dedicated to her beloved friend and collaborator John Prine, who died in April 2020, and inspired by a story she saw on the news about an organ donor that encapsulated for her the pain and perseverance of the past several years.

“I feel that people’s hearts have been broken and they’ve been so discouraged and anxious, at least I have been,” Raitt told reporters backstage after her win.

“I saw this story on the news of this woman that had met the man who had her son’s heart and said, ‘Would you like to listen to it? Sit next to me and put your head on my chest.’ Because things have been so tough the last few years, I just broke open and was just inspired,” she said.

====================
I gwin disagree on this one

Drapsey 2023-02-07 16:34:41 

In reply to bdaTryangle

Let's give them something to talk about!

Audio/Video. ...graphic!

VIX 2023-02-07 16:45:02 

These foolish American awards show are nothing but embodiments of modern-day Manifest Destiny.
Murca and murca approved music good. Everything else is of no value.

Emancipate yourselves folks.

SnoopDog 2023-02-07 16:51:50 

In reply to VIXTHEVIRGIN

You can start by emancipating yourself from that basement.

bdaTryangle 2023-02-07 16:58:44 

In reply to VIX

While I do agree that there's a good chunk of vanity overload with these award shows and the multi-million dollar celebrities that get to show off, they must be worthwhile for those behind-the-scenes, up-and-comers and so on for whom the acclaim can springboard their careers.

I'm in the Chrissy camp - that genre of music isn't my thing but I know who Bonnie Raitt was. But I also agree with JJ and SnoopD, it's probably tabloid clickbait or willful ignorance at play.

SnoopDog 2023-02-07 17:09:04 

In reply to bdaTryangle

I'm not a big country music fan either. But "Something to Talk About" is one of those tunes where you can't help but tap your feet to it regardless of what genre of music you listen to. And her slide guitar playing is fantastic.

She's a real musician unlike a lot of these current talentless clowns where they have to autotune their tracks and lip-sync their live shows.

Chrissy 2023-02-07 17:55:39 

In reply to VIX
For the record I did not watch the Grammys - I rarely do.
Like you I do not need validation from outsiders for our music.

Halliwell 2023-02-07 20:23:38 

In reply to SnoopDog

And the classic “I can’t make you love me”

bdaTryangle 2023-02-07 20:29:56 

In reply to SnoopDog

Yup, she's a bonafide legend

Chrissy 2023-02-07 20:46:59 

In reply to bdaTryangle
and a progressive

velo 2023-02-07 21:02:51 

i'm suprise she won it the grammy's are really popularity contests and she is in her 70's most of the people who tune into that are not that demographic and barely will know who she is