The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

The great Burt Bacharach is dead

Chrissy 2023-02-09 15:25:52 

at 94 - what a pair Bacharach and Warwick.

Halliwell 2023-02-09 15:32:57 

In reply to Chrissy

Indeedy

Chrissy 2023-02-09 15:47:36 

In reply to Halliwell

and many others

Chrissy 2023-02-09 16:08:33 

There's Always Something There To Remind Me:The Burt Bacharach Story

There's Always Something There To Remind Me:
The Burt Bacharach Story

The year is 1964. LBJ grabs a second term by a landslide. Civil Rights supporters march and raise angry fists in protest. Beatlemania ignites with a kerosene whoosh. Teens dance to The Swim, The Monkey, and The Watusi. Superballs bounce and ricochet off suburban sidewalks. A sporty new car called the Mustang zooms like a red rocket on the highways and byways. Comic Lenny Bruce spews out streams of obscenities in his nightclub act and ends up in court. A brash young boxer named Cassius Clay TKO's Sonny Liston for the heavyweight championship. Suave Agent 007 dodges laser beams and flying derbies in Goldfinger.

And on both sides of the Atlantic, transistor radios and hi-fi's blare a bevy of hits sung by such voices of the day as Dusty Springfield, Gene Pitney, and Dionne Warwick. These songs are written by a pair of Brill Building tunesmiths, who after seven years of collaboration have hit their full, glorious stride. These two modest New Yorkers have the uncanny ability to tap into the kinetic energy of the time and distill it into breathtaking three-minute rhapsodies: "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa," "Anyone Who Had A Heart," "Walk On By," "Reach Out For Me," "I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself," "Wives And Lovers," “Wishin' And Hopin," "Kentucky Bluebird (Send A Message To Martha)," "(There's) Always Something There To Remind Me."

This bumper crop comes from the piano and pen of composer Burt Bacharach and his lyric partner Hal David. While Hal's graceful, understated words provide an ideal complement, it is the restless, dynamic melodies of Burt Bacharach that are unlike anything that has come before.

Raggs 2023-02-10 17:09:37 

In reply to Chrissy

as for someone who forces you to hum a tune, all day long ..bacharach is up there with the best

Chrissy 2023-02-10 21:54:14 

In reply to Raggs
One of the best of the pop composers/writers