The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

New poll shows Americans at odds over Black history

birdseye 2023-02-11 17:27:08 

New poll shows Americans at odds over Black history

A new Yahoo News/YouGov poll shows that white Americans are just as likely to favor (40%) as to oppose (41%) a ban on teaching Advanced Placement courses in African American studies in public schools — the same sort of ban that Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis recently threatened to implement in Florida, unleashing a storm of national <div class="bbquote">controversy.

In contrast, Black Americans (65% oppose, 20% favor) and Democrats (70% oppose, 19% favor) are far more resistant to a DeSantis-style ban. Yet because white Americans outnumber Americans of color — and because a full 58% of DeSantis’s fellow Republicans support a ban — the overall number of Americans who are against banning AP African American studies (46%) does not even clear the 50% mark.

I just don’t get how 20% of black Americans can oppose the teaching of black history
Link Text

imusic 2023-02-11 19:46:04 

In reply to birdseye

I just don’t get how 20% of black Americans can oppose the teaching of black history

MAYBE THIS CAN PROVIDE SOME INSIGHT

birdseye 2023-02-11 20:42:42 

In reply to imusic black history and black history-month are as different as difference can be, at least to me. no equivalency --- I also think that’s those are Freeman’s sentiments

Emir 2023-02-12 15:05:47 

In reply to birdseye

There has been an ongoing intellectual battle in the African American intellectual circle about the make up of African American studies. The left and MSNBC liberals wants to vastly increase the scope of Black studies to gave high prominence to the LGBTQ community- as a distinct and separate sub group. The centrist among African Americans have resisted.

It is this disagreement that have given muscle to haters like DeSantias to exploit.

Now lets get down to the internal conflict. Liberal wants to sliver out the queer, transgender and other LGBTQI segments as an inherent part of Back Studies. We can all agree that is wrong as all LGBTQI issues cuts evenly across all ethnic groups and it doesn't belong as a specific category in any Black studies or any ethnic group study for that matter.

It is also not about equal rights for buller-men and other gender conflicted persons.

I have tried hard to bring divers groups together at the local level to discuss.

birdseye 2023-02-12 19:25:55 

In reply to Emir Man what you say there sounds like total mishegaas to me, nincompoops thinking. Not blaming you… lets stipulate that that is the thinking – how or why would that justify the AP academic board acquiescing to racist Desantis musings and suggesting that African History having no ACADEMIC value. There is so much wrong with this. Maybe you can illuminate – though I believe racism, idiocy and kowtow are the only plausibility’s