The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

English ppl talking down to a yardie

Arawak 2023-02-13 18:28:49 

Typical.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K36JI1WoeJY

cricketmad 2023-02-13 19:13:24 

In reply to Arawak

I saw this sometime ago ,and thought the people doing the interview are a bunch of clueless jokers. I found them to be patronising to say the least. It looks like they don't know the Jamaican motto .

Chrissy 2023-02-13 21:04:12 

In reply to Arawak
Dumb ass interviewers - I know Chinese Jamaicans who think just like him. And they are Jamaican in every sense.

Brerzerk 2023-02-13 21:38:14 

In reply to Chrissy
That guy is a good comedian. I'm impressed that he started doing 'clean comedy' when he realized that children watched his stuff with their parents.

Brerzerk 2023-02-13 21:48:54 

By the way when Yard played US in DC circa '90's under Simoes a White guy ran up and down the Jamaican section with a Yardie flag and some guys shouted 'hey white bway whe' yuh a duh wid wi flag?'
The retort with a perfect Yardie accent was 'Unnuh kiss out unnuh M,,,a $#@+*&'. My Cousin who grew up in England from age 6 to adulthood was returning to JA in the '80's and had a lil on flight problem with an Air JA flight attendant. So, in her very British accent was remonstrating when she heard 'Man unnuh deal wid di daughta right man' To her shock she looked around to see a 'White Man' It was one of the young Matalon's...Jewish Jamaican. That moment created a lifelong bond and friendship that exists to this day.

Barry 2023-02-13 22:00:24 

I think to understand the variants you have to understand crenshaw’s intersectionality…

camos 2023-02-13 22:16:36 

I don't think they were talking down as such, they were merely validating the man's credentials, you see people growing up outside of Jamaica are not that aware of the diversity.

velo 2023-02-13 23:37:39 

Where is the talking down part?

KTom 2023-02-16 15:33:59 

Seems to be wrong-headed on many levels. Jamaica is a country founded by whites and is based on British culture - its language, its laws, its democracy, inter alia. If anyone, it's these black Britons/wannabe Jamaicans who are the imposters and the appropriators.

velo 2023-02-16 16:06:51 

In reply to KTomjamaica was founded by whites?

BeatDball 2023-02-16 19:29:48 

Not to go off topic...a colleague of mine describes himself an American born Treeknee!

Ps. Unless you're an indigenous person of the western hemisphere...werent the colonial powers who brought us to the western hemisphere?

mikesiva 2023-02-17 09:19:44 

In reply to KTom

Jamaica was actually "founded" by Tainos, but they were almost wiped out by the Spanish, except for a small number who escaped to the Blue Mountains, and mixed with runaways who became Maroons.

It's better to say that Jamaican culture etc is heavily influenced and shaped by British colonialism.

However, what this interview shows is what I've discovered in my time living in the UK...a lot of black British people have very little knowledge of Jamaica outside of pre-existing stereotypes. In this interview, White Yardie was schooling British people about Jamaica as a country.

And that's not a bad thing. Black British people watching this interview will come away a bit more informed about Jamaican people.

Emir 2023-02-17 12:39:58 

In reply to Chrissy

Dumb ass interviewers - I know Chinese Jamaicans who think just like him. And they are Jamaican in every sense.

I don't agree with the lead poster, re "talking down" to him.

There is genuine curiosity about Jamaican culture- most Europeans and North Americans will equate Jamaica's culture as "Black culture." THey speak as if Black culture is a mono.

In Britain, the children and grand children of West Indian immigrants are truly confused and they are still trying to find their way in British society so when they see a Jamaican who is not of Afro ancestry, but with behaviors and other cultural traits that are identical to Afro Jamaicans, they become intrigued and the interview clearly showed that.