"

I never saw my mother, to know her as such, more
than four or five times in my life ; and each of these
times was very short in duration, and at night. She
was hired by a Mr. Stewart, who lived about twelve
miles from my home.

She made her journeys to see
me in the night, travelling the whole distance on foot,
after the performance of her day’s work.

She was a field hand, and a whipping is the penalty of not being
in the field at sunrise, unless a slave has special permission from his or her master to the contrary — a permission which they seldom get, and one that gives to him that gives it the proud name of being a kind master. I do not recollect of ever seeing my mother by the light of day. She was with me in the night. She would lie down with me, and get me to sleep, but long before I waked she was gone. Very little communication ever took place between us.

Death soon ended what little we could have while she lived, and with it her hardships and suffering. She died when I was about seven years old, on one of my master’s farms, near Lee’s Mill.

I was not allowed to be present during her illness, at her death, or burial.
She was gone long before I knew any thing about it.

Never having enjoyed, to any considerable extent, her
soothing presence, her tender and watchful care, I received the tidings' of her death with much the same emotions I should have probably felt at the death of a stranger.”

From: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass published c. 1845

buds 2023-02-18 06:09:55 

In reply to Emir

Very cruel and inhuman.

cry evil

Curtis 2023-02-18 14:02:51 

In reply to Emir

Yes, that's some seriously sad and dehumanizing conditions

Emir 2023-02-18 19:05:38 

In reply to Curtis

And yet still today, in many states people still seek to deny others the right to vote by making it extremely difficult for certain groups.

Outside of the USA in places like Guyana, the flawed electoral system is stacked against minorities and pit one group over the other, instead of prioritizing power sharing. Afro Guyanse have been shout out of political power by a group who arrived 320 years after them.

When good people remain silent about these things or when people in power try to deny and criminalize teachers, who dare teach this history in places like Florida, these lessons from history becomes meaningless, and hate remains the winner.

Headley 2023-02-21 01:52:20 

In reply to Emir

Well said.

doosra 2023-02-21 02:14:19 

In reply to Emir

Perhaps you can propose the Trinidad power sharing model to Guyana

Chrissy 2023-02-21 11:07:36 

In reply to Emir
And dem claim to be di civilized people