The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Jamaican nationality

nitro 2023-02-20 14:20:38 

Jamaican nationality is typically obtained either on the principle of jus soli, i.e. by birth in Jamaica; or under the rules of jus sanguinis, i.e. by birth abroad to parents with Jamaican nationality.

JahJah 2023-02-20 14:31:37 

In reply to nitro

Now, what has brought this on? The (Chinese) Jamaican woman going off on Youtube?

nitro 2023-02-20 14:40:31 

In reply to JahJah

Recent comments by a former Reggae Boyz coach, Bradley Stewart calling UK born players garbage and rejects. A sports reporter on RJR this morning. Think his name is Renardo saying youths of Jamaican born parents are not Jamaicans.

Some other punks on social media who are against overseas born players repping the RBZ.

Chrissy 2023-02-20 14:45:07 

In reply to nitro

It is also obtained by residency - five years.
Jamaica will never compete in a WC with foreign born mediocre players. On the other hand, those we develop from the base thrive on foreign teams.

Until we can keep our best youths and really focus on meaningful development, we are going nowhere.
Market before society - same as cricket.

nitro 2023-02-20 14:55:14 

In reply to Chrissy

Mediocre players, local or overseas should not be in the team period. Choose the best available players no matter where they are born.

camos 2023-02-20 15:01:04 

In reply to nitro

Recent comments by a former Reggae Boyz coach, Bradley Stewart calling UK born players garbage and rejects. A sports reporter on RJR this morning. Think his name is Renardo saying youths of Jamaican born parents are not Jamaicans.

These are just echos of a very pervasive thought in Jamaica, send unnh money but keep your ideas!

wink

FanAttick 2023-02-20 15:04:50 

In reply to camos

I agree…those foreigners aren’t Yardies unless they send barrels and Western Union… lol

Its the no representation without taxation mantra lol

I was watching the Reggae Boyz U17 made up primarily of home grown talent playing in the Concacaf U17 Championship and it was depressing….

Not surprising that they were knocked out by Guatemala…no problem at all - local club owners get to put their product in the shop window ..so who cares if they dont make it….

camos 2023-02-20 15:14:04 

In reply to nitro

Recent comments by a former Reggae Boyz coach, Bradley Stewart calling UK born players garbage and rejects

I am disappointed in this statement by Stewart, a guy I know from my area of Trelawny. How many Jamaica based players can play on the teams these rejects are playing on?

nitro 2023-02-20 15:15:41 

In reply to FanAttick

The national teams should not be used to develop players but to qualify for tournaments that bring money in the JFF pocket. That money can then be used for development.

Craig Butler built Leon Bailey and Whisper without them ever playing for any Jamaican team.

nitro 2023-02-20 15:18:22 

In reply to camos

Those comments were not much better than Trump calling immigrants S Holes.

nitro 2023-02-20 15:22:19 

In reply to FanAttick

Puerto Rico just beat big bad Costa Rica with a lot of players born in the USA to advance in said U17 WCQ. Other nations are doing it. Look at Morocco, Senegal, Ghana and Tunisia at the last World Cup.

camos 2023-02-20 15:24:49 

In reply to nitro

Puerto Rico just beat big bad Costa Rica with a lot of players born in the USA to advance in said U17 WCQ. Other nations are doing it. Look at Morocco, Senegal, Ghana and Tunisia at the last World Cup.

US did that for years to qualify for the World Cup finals.

Brerzerk 2023-02-20 21:56:38 

This world has too many Xenophobes/Nativists.
Nationality/Citizenship is through birth, heritage (nuff overseas players have only a Jamaican Grandparent), Residency and Marriage.

Ewart 2023-02-20 22:59:40 

In reply to nitro

So... Seaga was Jamaican??

//

BeatDball 2023-02-20 23:43:23 

Caribbean folks should get apprised of non USA, Canada & the UK immigration & citizenship laws! Let your child or children be born on certain soil...the authorities would quickly 'put you in your place' (Guyneez expression) & let you know that your scion's citizenship is that of yours! Fool stop.
razz

nitro 2023-02-21 00:13:44 

In reply to Ewart

I think one of his parent was a Jamaican. If so, then yes he would be.

Why choose a polarizing figure? Why not Sheryl Lee Ralph?

XDFIX 2023-02-21 00:17:35 

In reply to Ewart

Every time I think about that I realized the stupidity of Jamaica’s politics - man nuh born a yard shouldn’t be made Prime Minister!

camos 2023-02-21 00:31:14 

In reply to XDFIX

Every time I think about that I realized the stupidity of Jamaica’s politics - man nuh born a yard shouldn’t be made Prime Minister!

The major contributors to the Jamaican constitution were foreigners; was amazed to be told that if a Commonwealth citizen lives in Jamaica for a year he can vote. This when Jamaicans need visas to visit some commonwealth countries.

nitro 2023-02-21 01:46:41 

In reply to Ewart

Was George Headley a Jamaican?

Raggs 2023-02-21 10:01:30 

Cindy Breakspeare - Canada
Rita Marley - Cuba
Stephen Marley - America
All these people not Jamaicans ?

Dukes 2023-02-21 10:11:49 

In reply to camos

These are just echos of a very pervasive thought in Jamaica, send unnh money but keep your ideas!

One of the reasons why I do what I do is the realization that Jamaica and Guyana have so many commonalities it is astonishing..

We have the same problem with the tensions between locals and the Diaspora,even though JA is doing better with co-operation between the two.

alfa1975 2023-02-21 18:12:58 

In reply to Chrissy You should find this one funny. My two daughters were born in Jamaica of a Trinidadian mother (my wife). Both attended primary school in Trinidad late 1980s and early 1990s. Early in their school life there, a teacher took it upon herself to determine that they were not Trinidadians and not eligible to attend school there.
My mother-in-law got wind of the situation and took their passports (Trinidad & Tobago) to the Headmaster , who promptly called the teacher to the office in the presence of my mother-in-law. And waved both passports in the face of the teacher ...'You see these ,they are Trinidad and Tobago citizens''. As we say in Jamaica "argument done".

Brerzerk 2023-02-21 18:41:31 

You know back in the ‘90’s when we weren’t winning any short sprint medals (men) of note had Ari said I’m running for JA Dem woulda jump up and embrace him? It’s ok to tel but mug acknowledge.

alfa1975 2023-02-21 19:07:23 

In reply to Brerzerk Jamaica has never been short on insularity. Lloyd LaBeach was born in Panama of Jamaican parents,other brothers were born in Jamaica . Lloyd went to school in Jamaica learnt the sprinting trade in Jamaica.Time came to select the Jamaica team for 1948. Outcry, LaBeach is not Jamaican he was not born here. Man then opted to represent Panama. There goes what should have been Jamaica's first Olympic medal, to Panama 100 meters London 1948.

hubert 2023-02-21 19:32:05 

In reply to alfa1975
That's real history, Bro. Headley was born in Panama also to a Jamaican mother and Barbadian father and
grew up in Kingston from a tender age and was always considered a Jamaican..I guess cricket and
Track and Field had a difference of opinion or Lloydie was a threat to someone's spot on the team

lol

BeatDball 2023-02-22 10:48:13 

In reply to hubert Word is that Headley was sent back to learn English & then stayed.

cool

Brerzerk 2023-02-22 11:03:49 

In reply to hubert
Didn’t one LaBeach rep Yard and 1 Panama, even twins perhaps?
Someone long ago told me there’s an autobio but never got around to it

alfa1975 2023-02-22 15:53:23 

In reply to Brerzerk The brother who represented Jamaica was one of the alternates for the 4x400 at Helsinki in 1952. He was also a sprinter reaching the quarter finals of 100 meters at Helsinki.
I remember reading about this Olympian who lived in Co Op City , in the Bronx and had won a gold medal in the games. .I think that is the brother

Wally-1 2023-02-22 17:15:11 

In reply to camos

big grin big grin big grin

Ewart 2023-02-22 17:58:49 

In reply to nitro

Why choose a polarizing figure? Why not Sheryl Lee Ralph?

I know her mother and her brother. She was never Prime Minister.

//

camos 2023-02-22 18:16:44 

wonder if Stewart thinks the Reggae Girls should not use overseas players?

birdseye 2023-02-22 18:49:45 

In reply to nitro

Recent comments by a former Reggae Boyz coach, Bradley Stewart calling UK born players garbage and rejects.
I don’t know much about Former reggae boyz coach Bradley Stewart, but I find it easy to understand why the team hasn’t been doing well. When you start calling young men striving to make a name/living in sports, ones who represent a premier league football club, and you start calling them ‘garbage’, either your vocabulary is limited or you need to check your limitations. I know such name calling is a yardie thing, but if you hold a position to motivate and teach young people, you need to be better than calling aspiring young people garbage.

hubert 2023-02-22 18:58:32 

In reply to BeatDball
The fact is his mother sent him to Jamaica to grow up. Learning English was part of it of course as the parents
wanted him on an english environment as they never intended o remain in Panama all their lives.
The USA was also on their radar and cricket intervened at an opportune time as George was headed to the USA also.

camos 2023-02-22 21:04:18 

In reply to birdseye

When you start calling young men striving to make a name/living in sports, ones who represent a premier league football club, and you start calling them ‘garbage’, either your vocabulary is limited or you need to check your limitations
Like I said before I know the guy, he has two sons that played the game also; at Harbourview and in some not too popular leagues overseas. His statement is very a poor reflection.

hubert 2023-02-22 21:09:00 

In reply to camos
Really disappointed in Bradley's 'garbage' comment. Shameful and from a former national coach at that.

nitro 2023-02-23 19:39:36 

In reply to camos

Sorry for them because a number of these players under 20yrs have or almost completed their Jamaican passport including the Chelsea duo of Omari Hutchinson and Malik Mothersille as well as Dexter Lembikisa of Wolves.

camos 2023-02-23 19:47:07 

In reply to nitro

The more I think about the statement, the madder I get, you have guys playing USL Championship who get called up for Jamaica senior team and Stewart is dissing EPL players! cry

Brerzerk 2023-02-23 20:25:59 

In reply to camos
What is worse is some youngsters before having any idea how their careers might pan-out commit to Jamaica from youth stage.
What are those youngsters to think after hearing that?

KTom 2023-02-23 23:43:03 

"Are we going to pick up everything they threw out as garbage when at your own club, you are seen as damaged material the way that Manchester United is saying? It is going to have repercussions in terms of sponsors," Stewart said.

"In modern countries, there are a lot of protections for women and children, and we are looking to pick up those discarded people, the same way we deny our local players an opportunity for foreign players that are not much better than what we have. I am kind of disappointed in that."

http://jamaica-star.com/article/sports/20230210/no-reggae-boyz-recruitment-greenwood-%E2%80%93-stewart#slideshow-1

His comments are somewhat incoherent, but I think it's clear that he wasn't calling foreign-born players garbage in anything but a figurative sense.

JoeGrine 2023-02-24 14:46:12 

In reply to camos

wonder if Stewart thinks the Reggae Girls should not use overseas players?

Curiously, do the Reggae Girls command large transfer fees?

camos 2023-02-24 15:04:26 

In reply to JoeGrine

No to your question, but you would think that exposure to tougher players would help local talent to improve. In the end generating more transfer money.

JoeGrine 2023-02-24 15:14:05 

In reply to camos

Not necessarily the case with Stewart (or Leebert Halliman, who uttered even more ridiculous statements about overseas Jamaican players) but more often than not, it is about the transfer fee, hence you don't see much hue and cry on the women's side of things.

camos 2023-02-24 15:37:33 

In reply to JoeGrine Player value and abilities often varies among coaches but if a guy is not making the Jamaica team because of the presence of these overseas players, what are his chances in an overseas league? Are these even of MLS quality?

JoeGrine 2023-02-24 15:42:56 

In reply to camos

Better you direct your question to the delusional coaches and some of the fans.

michaelmax 2023-02-24 15:44:24 

Actually what he seemed to be saying was that these " discarded foreign born" players were selected on THAT basis not on their quality. So a local player of similar quality is not selected because the foreign born player is chosen becsuse he is foreign born not because he is any good. I think there is some merit to this given the quality of some of the selections over the years. We are not going to be successful replacing mediocre locals with mediocre overseas professionals. It HAS NOT WORKED.

camos 2023-02-24 17:04:46 

In reply to michaelmax

We are not going to be successful replacing mediocre locals with mediocre overseas professionals.

This is saying our local leagues are of the same standard as the leagues in England that these players are comming from? confused

nitro 2023-02-24 18:06:58 

In reply to michaelmax

In my opinion the poor management by the JFF is the major reason we have failed since 1998. As coach Halgrimson said earlier this week, our facilties are so poor even Lionel Messi would become ordinary playing locally. The JFF had very few camps after 1998 except around Gold Cup time and resulted in us even reaching two finals. There are other major issues with travelling and accomodation. In addition to very poor coaches.

This new coach is a straight talker. He has already said the players he calls now must be better than what he has already. This guy will not pick any mediocre player, local or overseas.

nitro 2023-02-24 18:29:24 

In reply to michaelmax

By the way bro the narrative that we have used a lot of UK born players vs local born players is a myth. See the number of UK born players used in each world cup cycle since 1998.

YEAR LOCAL BORN UK BORN Total
2002 39 9 48
2006 39 10 49
2010 42 7 49
2014 35 10 45
2018 28 9 37
2022 30 18 48
TOTAL 213 63 276

In total we have used a squad total of 276 players of which 63 or 23% were UK born players.

2022 we used the most players and that was 18 (38%) of the 48 players used. Poor leadership by the government, JFF and the coaches (Tappa and Hall) negatively impacted a team that should have qualified.

michaelmax 2023-02-24 19:42:29 

In reply to nitro

Undoubtedly. My point is we have tended to go with local born and local born overseas professionals then as it gets down to qualifiers we go for a whole bunch of UK born ballers-some of dubious quality and then throw them all together expecting it to work. We need a plan, good organization on and off the field and a cadre of committed players. We can't continously cycle through so many players we have no idea what our best 11 or best 11 according to opponents is.

JoeGrine 2023-02-24 23:19:22 

In reply to michaelmax

I think there is some merit to this given the quality of some of the selections over the years. We are not going to be successful replacing mediocre locals with mediocre overseas professionals. It HAS NOT WORKED.

1) By what barometer do you determine "mediocre"?

2) Having overseas professionals being coached by inept coaches it will not work.

michaelmax 2023-02-25 12:09:50 

In reply to JoeGrine

Let's be honest we have selected a number of players who simply couldn't cut it in CONCACAF in a non tournament scenario such as World Cup qualifues from Schaefer's time onward. So while we have had poor coaches, JFF nonsense, we have had mediocre overseas professionals as well.