The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Teen bikers among 5 dead in Golden Spring

Chrissy 2023-02-27 21:33:22 

These youths are stark raving mad

Two teenagers are among 5 people who died from injuries sustained in a crash in Golden Spring St Andrew on Sunday night.

They are 17-year-old Romario Moodie , 18-year-old Anthony Fuller, 20-year-old Raheem Campbell, 24-year-old Jamie Marriott and 20-year-old Tajay Murray, all of st. Andrew.

Reports from the Stony Hill police are that about 10:00 p.m., the men were travelling on three motorcycles towards temple hall.

The drivers reportedly lost control of the vehicles and collided with a Toyota Hiace that was travelling in the opposite direction, causing it to overturn

birdseye 2023-02-28 00:59:37 

In reply to Chrissy WOW! That seems all so improbable that 5 motorcycle riders would die in a single accident like that. Any way you take it – it’s a very sad situation

beesis 2023-02-28 12:33:12 

In reply to birdseye

Not sure bout improbably enuh. This is junction road enuh and teenagers speeding on motorcycles.

Chrissy 2023-02-28 12:43:11 

In reply to beesis
and the bus overturned

Ayenmol 2023-03-01 14:37:44 

I think motorcycles are really cool.

But the image I remember and is indelibly engraved in my memory is an incident on the Bath Estate bridge when I was a child....I must have been 10-11.
Guy lost his life on the bridge when he lost control and slammed into the side entrance.
Later that day I was walking over and paid attention to where he hit....there was brain mater still covering the area.

I will never, ever forget that.

The only bike I have riden is a moped type....and even then I was scared and have never cared to ride the bikes I find interesting.

Chrissy 2023-03-01 14:51:53 

In reply to Ayenmol
My sister and I owned a Honda 50.
Here in JA one of my co-workers would let me ride his own to go home to Mona sometimes. Never had an accident. In fact Imthink good motor bike riders make better car drivers because judgement is everything.
Jamaica has no provision for either cyclists or motor bike drivers and young folks here hate helmets and exercise absolutely no judgment.

Back in Guyana the brother of one of our good friends crashed and died on the race track while they were practicing - hit a bridge. Said he just wanted to,go,around one more time and that was that. That I’ll never forget. Danny- was the first teenage death we faced.

camos 2023-03-01 15:54:49 

My Stats teacher in grad school had a joke; if you want your father to buy you a car, tell him you are thinking of buying a motor bike! lol

Ayenmol 2023-03-01 17:04:00 

In reply to Chrissy

I agree about judgement. But am a guy who likes to push the limits on the road. I am a good driver, I think. But I do love to drive fast. Within reason and with the right equipment.
Rented a BMW 5 series in Florida few weeks back....man I cruised at 110 for long periods of time between orlando-miami and again orlando-Tampa.
But the car was just so poised at those speeds it was easy and did not feel unsafe with the traffic.

So imagine what I'd be prone to do on a more versatile bike. So am scared to get into that.

Chrissy 2023-03-01 18:23:24 

In reply to AyenmolMust be a female thing- be it cycle, motor bike, car,SUV or pick up, it’s just to get me from place to place. I’m a road angel as they call them.
The only ticket I ever got was a cop in Portland who couldn’t stop the car ahead of me and thought he could cash in with me. Since I had one of my then young nephews and his friends and I was definitely not speeding, so I told him to write the ticket.
The SOBs never showed up in court and the magistrate (a former classmate) threw it out after I told him what actually happened.
These folks are either interested in tax revenue or graft not road safety.

Chrissy 2023-03-01 18:24:36 

In reply to camos
Works most times

bdaTryangle 2023-03-01 20:32:05 

In reply to Chrissy

Are there helmet laws in Jamaica, curious?

granite 2023-03-01 20:56:11 

So bloody sad. sad

Chrissy 2023-03-01 21:53:23 

In reply to bdaTryangle
So they say

bdaTryangle 2023-03-02 14:38:30 

In reply to Chrissy

Understood sad