The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

HEADLINE: Backed by a proud father, 15-year-old St Lucia batsman targets Test cricket in five years

CaribbeanCricket.com 2023-03-12 13:17:11 

St Lucia’s batting prodigy Theo Edward wants to break into the West Indies senior team sometime during the next few years. The 15-year-old Edward, a student at the St Lucia Sports Academy, believes Test cricket is the format that suits him best so he is working his way towards that goal.

“My ambitions for the next five years; I want to play in the U19 World Cup and then hopefully go on to play for the senior team,” said Theo, who scored four consecutive centuries for St Lucia’s U15 team during the Windward Islands Cricket Board (WICB) Tournament last December.

“I have a lot of patience and I like to bat long. It gives me more time to think about my decision making so I like to play the longer format.”

In a time when most young players are drawn to the T20 format, it is a refreshing proclamation from the teenager, who made his national U15 team at the age of 11, and who recently returned home from Grenada where the Windward Islands Volcanoes staged a two-week special apprenticeship programme for a few U19 players.

Theo described his stay in Grenada as being beneficial.

“It was a good experience. The standard was very high. I learnt a lot about my batting, and mentally,” he said revealing that he has made some technical improvements.

Read more at SportsMax

Full Story

PalsofMine 2023-03-12 13:34:08 

RTN

Good luck, son. Stay fit and focussed. There is room on the test team for those who can really bat.

Onionman0 2023-03-12 13:59:45 

Best of luck!!!!

Theo Edward....

Onionman02022-12-20 17:29:52
Link Text

Can this youngster.....groom....

Chrissy 2023-03-12 14:08:37 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com
Dear Theo - I am way more concerned with technique than patience. If you can't score quickly when required you can't help West Indies. Work on your technique and get back to me.
Ask Paint about patience when Rabada comes calling.
Good luck son.

wink wink

Halliwell 2023-03-12 14:18:00 

In reply to CaribbeanCricket.com

Good luck Theo!
Work hard and reap your rewards.

Slipfeeler 2023-03-12 14:28:45 

Keep working hard and humble yourself and sky is the limit young man.

Sylobaby 2023-03-13 00:15:57 

That’s indeed good to hear. But my encouragement to you is start to work hard on your technique which is so lacking in our present West Indies team. I would say both Brathwaite and Chanderpaul have a lot of patience but the pace of Rabada and others had their lack of technique in very dirty water. But good luck young man

Sylobaby 2023-03-13 00:22:18 

“Theo, who scored four consecutive centuries for St Lucia’s U15 team during the Windward Islands Cricket Board (WICB) Tournament last December”

West Indies cricket should have this young boy and others like him working with Brian Lara and don’t wait until he’s on the senior team to be mentored by Lara like those test players we just saw in SA

Chrissy 2023-03-13 00:31:13 

In reply to Sylobaby
This is the age group that Brian can help

InHindsight 2023-03-14 13:36:12 

In reply to Chrissy

Rightly said coaches need to ensure young promising players work on

1 the technical aspects of their game
2 also to under their own game
3 and thirdly 'how' to score runs.

Jumpstart 2023-03-14 15:31:16 

In reply to Chrissy

Ask Paint about patience when Rabada comes calling.

chrissy that was low

lol lol lol lol lol

to be fair, all de poor technique batsmen are usually found out by KG. Steve Smith, for example, was getting nightmares about him after both the 2016 SA visit down under and the 2017 tour of SA......made him look really bad.

Chrissy 2023-03-14 23:38:34 

In reply to Jumpstart
So then it wasn't low - facts are facts.