The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Low Standards is Big Problem

JamMack 2023-03-12 23:57:08 

The standards that are set are too low. Don’t tell me nothing about bare cupboards. When you have the gold standard set at Brathwaite’s level then how can you be successful when Brathwaite bats square like Sherwin Campbell. Him can’t bat. Would never pay money to watch him. Would you? Number 3 position is now occupied by yesterday’s Bernard Julian. Number 4 is occupied by a batsman who is not the best in his own country. Number 5 occupied by a friend of the current and previous captain who is playing because of his bowling. Let me repeat. His bowling! Nobody can bat spin.

Cupboard got Carty, King, Hope & Bravo.

Long past time that leadership be held accountable. Pathetic!

sudden 2023-03-13 00:04:49 

In reply to JamMack

Don’t forget Hety
And Antha

JamMack 2023-03-13 00:25:17 

In reply to sudden

I didn’t forget Hety. He did not want to play. They took Antha, but didn’t play him cause of the friend & friend thing.

JoeGrine 2023-03-13 11:37:21 

In reply to JamMack

I didn’t forget Hety.

That's right, he just does not belong!

jacksprat 2023-03-13 12:47:23 

I remember when Brian Lara was in the team, and being the sole output of brilliance in a sea of mediocrity,while the team continued to lose, some fools were actually positing the ridiculous argument that Lara was actually "holding back the team". The West Indies would miraculously rebound as soon as Lara departed the scene with his broad suffocating shadow.

What Happened?

That position was idiotic as that ignoble "Star Team vs Team Of Stars" promoted by that insular bureaucrat to get rid of the best, most marketable players, and shoe-horn his mediocre and unworthy countryman into the team.

That Merely Made a Bad Situation Worse

Larr Pullo 2023-03-13 12:57:25 

In reply to jacksprat

The Lara team had Gayle, Sarwan, Shiv, and Samuels amongst others. The argument was that Lara should not have been named captain for the third time.

Chrissy 2023-03-13 13:05:38 

In reply to JamMack

Athletes learn technique early - standards of education are low in every blasted discipline and imparting motor skills is even lower across the region.

We reap what we sow.

camos 2023-03-13 13:42:43 

In reply to Chrissy

Athletes learn technique early

That is a fundamental rule of coaching, proper technique first, then build, strength, speed and endurance.

jacksprat 2023-03-13 14:20:51 

In reply to Larr Pullo

The Lara team had Gayle, Sarwan, Shiv, and Samuels amongst others. The argument was that Lara should not have been named captain for the third time.

That was an ancillary argument. I too agreed that Lara should not have been made captain a third time.

But more than one putative West Indies supporter had personally said to me that the other players felt intimidated by Lara and his brilliance "selfishly" hogging the spotlight, and as soon as he was gone West Indies would revert to being a "true team" and start winning.

Chrissy 2023-03-13 14:49:19 

In reply to jacksprat

You nailed it - we reap what we sow

Chrissy 2023-03-13 14:52:56 

In reply to Larr Pullo
You were part of that argument

Larr Pullo 2023-03-13 16:04:37 

In reply to Chrissy

Why do you think Marlon ran him out in that WC match?

Chrissy 2023-03-13 22:34:43 

In reply to Larr Pullo
To build di no stars future?

shock

Jumpstart 2023-03-13 23:06:07 

In reply to jacksprat

What Happened?

defeat and disaster....although to be fair, CG was a better captain than lara. could get more out of the players

Wally-1 2023-03-14 05:48:44 

In reply to JamMack
If we were their ages we would be playing test cricket Macky.
By the way, don't you ever disrespect Bernard Julian like that again.