The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Whither Brandon the King

Dukes 2023-03-16 02:43:57 

Brandon King

mikelegend 2023-03-16 04:52:28 

In reply to Dukes

EXTREMELY frustrating stuff. There is no way the current WI first choice “middle order batsmen” of Bonner, Chase, Blackwood and Reifer are more talented than Hope, Pooran, King and Hetmeyer(who I completely understand non selection). We can also add young Anthanaze to the more talented list.

Onionman0 2023-03-16 07:54:29 

In reply to Dukes

It would be foolish and bad investment...if King,Pooran & Hope are talked into test areana.....I would rather groom
Wickham
Athanaze
Goolie
Anderson
Nandu & few others for future...
Provide these youngsters with 3 year emerging players contract....like county cricket or football club....so they stay with West Indies team & not fly away like many...

PalsofMine 2023-03-16 10:56:38 

In reply to Dukes

Ho Hum, here speaks another one!!

what he really means is that he would love to play test cricket if playing in minor T20 leagues permits.

sudden 2023-03-16 10:58:43 

In reply to PalsofMine

simply put, "if i werent playing T20, i would play test cricket."

Larr Pullo 2023-03-16 11:50:35 

In reply to sudden

Don't think King is like the others.

doosra 2023-03-16 12:09:42 

just pick him the next time

doosra 2023-03-16 12:19:06 

In reply to Larr Pullo

do you mean he will prioritize test cricket over a t20 league?

Larr Pullo 2023-03-16 12:23:21 

In reply to doosra

I think he would more take the Holder approach.

Curtis 2023-03-16 12:26:32 

WI cricket is like all those apps running on your older cell phone, impacting the battery - it's frigging draining.

40 days and 40 nights, wandering the desert of futility.

Elders clamoring for intervention.

Anyone knows where Moses is?

doosra 2023-03-16 12:29:55 

In reply to Larr Pullo

but Holder gets IPL gets...more options...IPL means no clash with intl cricket

doosra 2023-03-16 12:30:13 

In reply to Curtis

he waiting on the mountain big grin

Dukes 2023-03-16 12:33:13 

In reply to sudden

Lack of INFORMATION can lead to ERRONEOUS CONCLUSIONS.

Here is an exercise for you and the other message board sages to participate in.

1.Write down the dates of the last 4 West Indies domestic first class seasons.

2.Write down the dates of West Indies ODI and T 20 matches both overseas and locally.

3.Using the above 2 sets of data, write down the amount of WI domestic matches a player representing the West Indies in ODI and T 20 matches would have missed.

Then and Only then will I engage you guys on this topic.

IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Slipfeeler 2023-03-16 12:38:33 

While we want them to play for West Indies since they couldn’t be worst than the current lot, we also cannot blame them for been vigilant and guarded regarding their career and finances, for we know that West Indies only display loyalty to certain players, one bad series and you could be discarded for life, so we cannot blame them for wanting to protect their bread and butter.

doosra 2023-03-16 12:38:42 

In reply to Dukes

if the answer is zero

the problem is bigger than we are imagining it to be

i don't have the time presently to research so i should be cautious
but i seem to recall recently Shai Hope was over in SL or somewhere there, could be Bangladesh during the first 2 rounds of regional cricket?

A question I have for myself now then would be - where was Brandon King during the first 2 rounds? I need to check for myself if he was injured, touring with wi, resting, something else...

camos 2023-03-16 12:49:29 

In reply to Dukes

Another point, how many times in the last 6 years CWI played the 4 day competition the same time of the year?

Maispwi 2023-03-16 13:11:57 

In reply to Dukes

To me its simple. CWI shud have paid King and others dat fall in de same boat, the fees dey wudda get for an ODI or T20I call up but allow dem to play in some of de 4 day competitions dat dey have missed in recent years.

Larr Pullo 2023-03-16 13:15:03 

In reply to Maispwi

Simples...they have to be innovative to keep certain players available to them.

Maispwi 2023-03-16 13:18:04 

In reply to doosra

CWI had already approved NOCs for players before it announced this year's PCL schedule.

mikesiva 2023-03-18 11:59:54 

In reply to doosra

During the first two rounds of the regional season, Shai Hope was playing in the BPL and Brandon King was playing T20s in the UAE.

Let them concentrate on their limited overs cricket. The ODI and T20 teams need a lot of work.

Select players for the Test team who play four-day cricket.

velo 2023-03-18 12:06:16 

pure bull if brandon king play first class cricket anddo well then he she should be in contention to the west indies side but to sidetrack this man on the wi side based on a very poor white ball average

doosra 2023-03-18 12:14:36 

In reply to mikesiva

During the first two rounds of the regional season, Shai Hope was playing in the BPL and Brandon King was playing T20s in the UAE.

so to say that this series is a reason he's not getting opportunities to prep for test cricket is not entirely the case is it

Raggs 2023-03-18 12:15:21 

In reply to Dukes

if he yearns for it, give him it. makes no sense if they don't

Curtis 2023-03-18 13:47:31 

The job requires 5 GCE 'O' levels but the candidate did not do GCE but appears bright. Do you consider this candidate for the job, based on a gut feel ???

doosra 2023-03-18 13:48:33 

In reply to Curtis

deh gat the 'school leaving'?
big grin

sudden 2023-03-18 13:51:24 

In reply to Dukes

The only I need to know is Bing is of good middle class stock big grin

Dukes 2023-03-18 14:05:27 

In reply to mikesiva

The above is TRUE but consider this.

KING

1.In the Domestic First class season in early 2019,Brandon King scored 630 runs at an average of 48 with 1 century and 6 fifties.He was not selected for test cricket and Bravo played instead.
2 In that summer in the CPL Brandon was player of the tournament with 496 runs at an average of 55 and a strike rate of 148.As a result of that season he was selected for white ball cricket and that was the death knell to his red ball career.
3.The next Domestic first class season in early 2020,,the Jamaican pair of Blackwood and Bonner had great seasons which led to their introduction into the WI test team.King played a single match BECAUSE he was representing the WI in white ball cricket
4. In 2022 King played a single match in the WI Domestic first class season, scoring a century.He missed the second match because he was off to India and then the Netherlands representing WI in white ball cricket when the final 3 rounds of first class cricket took place.
5. As we speak King is in SA representing WI in white ball cricket at the same time the Domestic first class season is taking place.

HOPE

He played a solitary match also in last year's Domestic First Class season and scored a century.The reason he only played a single match was because he was representing WI in white ball cricket whilst the Domestic First Class season was taking place.

Currently he is playing white ball cricket for the WI ,whilst the domestic first class season is taking place.