The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

NEPAL: 0VER 50,000 FANS AT STADIUM- 4:30 AM LINE UP

Emir 2023-03-16 18:08:33 

They deserve their ODI WC qualification.

Their stadium was maxed for with Nepal fans lined up at 4.30 a.m.

Seems like the cricket world order is now complete- we cannot even get 100 fans to see our boys play and our cricket history and tradition is one of the oldest and greatest in the whole wide world. Nepal had no professional cricket 25 years ago.

Great for Nepal, great for cricket.

In 20 years from now we will be minnows and our young people will hardly know what cricket is.

Thank you WICBC, than you regional boards, thank you to our "media."

bdaTryangle 2023-03-16 18:43:22 

The way CAN has handled the Lamichhane situation may put a damper on feelings towards Nepalese cricket as a whole.

That said, I've long said that Nepal has the most passionate fanbase of any Associate Member. They travel and they make noise.

They'll be at the WCQ and one of the teams trying to deny WI a berth at the 50 over World Cup. Monty Desai has them playing with confidence and drive. 11 out of their last ODIs have been wins.

DirtyDan 2023-03-16 20:11:46 

I just hope they don't offer citizenship to our players and steal some. I heard they had an immigration guy in SA.

Emir 2023-03-16 21:14:16 

In reply to DirtyDan

All their players are Napelase

I just hope they don't offer citizenship to our players and steal some.

Doh get confuse, Nepal has never poached any player, don't confuse them with England- all their top players are wither Kiwi, Saffy, Bajan or Irish

bdaTryangle 2023-03-17 13:08:34 

In reply to Emir

What Emir said. People tend to scoff at certain Associates for 'poaching', but Nepal has never been in that category. Homegrown for years and years.

Several threads ago I mentioned that Monty Desai (formerly associated with WI) had signed on to Nepal. Could be some interesting subtext in the event that a Nepal v WI match is on the cards.

CWC League 2 turned out to be a thrill of a tournament, everything the Super League flattered to deceive on.