The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Billie Heaven withdraws from CWI Prez Race

Slipfeeler 2023-03-18 01:15:53 

KINGSTON, Jamaica- Jamaica Cricket Association (JCA) president Wilford “Billy” Heaven has announced he has withdrawn from the race to become head of Cricket West Indies (CWI).

“I have decided not to express any further interest in the presidential contest of Cricket West Indies,” the Jamaican stated in a media release on Friday.

Both Heaven and CWI vice-president, Kishore Shallow, had been nominated as presidential candidates ahead of the election, which is to coincide with the CWI annual general meeting in Antigua on March 25.

With Heaven stepping back, the Vincentian Shallow is expected to walk into the role as president, replacing Kittitian Ricky Skerritt, who had declared his intention to leave the post at the end of consecutive two-year terms.

Heaven, who had been nominated by the JCA and the Guyana Cricket Board, did not detail the reason for withdrawing his candidacy, but indicated dissatisfaction with the CWI governance structure.

“My objective is to serve the greater good of West Indies cricket, but unfortunately, this is not likely to be achieved if some fundamental changes are not made to the constitution and the existing rule of governance,” the release said.

Heaven, CWI board director, said he remains “fully committed to the development of regional cricket and will continue to serve this purpose”.

Source: Jamaica-gleaner.com

doosra 2023-03-18 01:16:43 

In reply to Slipfeeler

is this different from a pull out? big grin

Slipfeeler 2023-03-18 01:18:31 

Which means that we might see the return of the player Ambris, whom many Vincentians feel has been treated unfairly.

FanAttick 2023-03-18 01:19:16 

In reply to doosra

He saw the writing on the wall…

So given that the choice was between worse and worst …what are we left with? lol

Dukes 2023-03-18 01:20:57 

In reply to Slipfeeler

Heaven, who had been nominated by the JCA and the Guyana Cricket Board, did not detail the reason for withdrawing his candidacy, but indicated dissatisfaction with the CWI governance structure.

“My objective is to serve the greater good of West Indies cricket, but unfortunately, this is not likely to be achieved if some fundamental changes are not made to the constitution and the existing rule of governance,” the release said.

Obvious question for Hill Billy

When did you first become dissatisfied with the CWI governance structure??

Answer: When he realized he was going to lose the race.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

Dukes 2023-03-18 01:25:56 

In reply to FanAttick

I know that you, being a thoughtful, careful and highly intelligent man who carefully appraised Mr. Shallow in terms of his intellectual capacity as evidenced by his qualifications and taking into account his experience and after dissecting his manifesto with a fine tooth comb and came to the conclusion that he is clearly ill-suited for the job,I would ask that you explain to us why you came to such a conclusion.

lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol lol

FanAttick 2023-03-18 01:38:28 

In reply to Dukes

Record of Abject Failure

Or as one wise man described it ..”A record of modest successes and devastating failures”

Here are a couple examples:

Skerritt listed high among the outcomes “a modern and fit-for-purpose corporate governance system, which is consensus- oriented, accountable, transparent, responsive, equitable, inclusive and results in the best decision-making”.

Verdict: FAILED

Skerritt said a target of “achieving at least 60 percent of winning results in all three formats, with ICC rankings never lower than the top five, and with several elite male and female West Indian players ranked within the top 20 players in the world” was also a desired outcome.

Verdict: FAILED

sudden 2023-03-18 01:40:49 

In reply to FanAttick

Anyone I hear use that phrase “fit for purpose “ I want to shoot.

WTF does it mean?

FanAttick 2023-03-18 01:41:58 

In reply to sudden

WTF does it mean?

Your guess is as good as mine lol

doosra 2023-03-18 01:47:28 

In reply to sudden

juss like from strength to strength

big grin

they all talk about governance structure but none a dem touching it

we know why

cumberland 2023-03-18 01:48:51 

I hope this thread gains currency.

Given this development, is it safe to say that Guyana is not a Shallow supporter?

doosra 2023-03-18 01:50:18 

In reply to Slipfeeler

this is interesting

if you are dissatisfied then run for the post and change it...but i don't think that is what he meant

Dukes 2023-03-18 02:47:26 

Skerritt failed not Shallow

FanAttick 2023-03-18 02:55:30 

In reply to Dukes

Skerritt failed not Shallow

Really?

Dukes 2023-03-18 03:02:02 

In reply to FanAttick

Root (Captain) Stokes (Vice-Captain)

Root is sacked so by your logic Stokes can not be made captain since he was part of the leadership team and since that leadership team failed he should be ineligible for the captaincy.

doosra 2023-03-18 03:15:40 

In reply to Dukes

but going that route means you're saying VP was just an object there with no agency?

Dukes 2023-03-18 03:23:22 

In reply to doosra

How is the Vice-President position different from the Vice-Captain position???

doosra 2023-03-18 03:41:20 

In reply to Dukes

i would imagine that they both provide input to the captain's decision making, and general overall direction

any success or failure would be partially on them...

if failure is overwhelming it would make sense to not promote the vc, success the opposite if the captain steps down or out

the case you provided is not a good one in this context because a player can contribute in 2 ways - as a leader and as a player...in the case of Root he was more successful individually as captain than not...he has some success as captain - 27 wins, 26 losses from 64 matches as captain and surely Stokes was a contributor

i would not be inclined to make generalizations on this one

FanAttick 2023-03-18 03:46:36 

In reply to Dukes

Root is sacked so by your logic Stokes can not be made captain since he was part of the leadership team and since that leadership team failed he should be ineligible for the captaincy.

Stokes was promoted based on the overwhelming record of his own tangible individual performances as VC

Show me the evidence of Shallow’s individual accomplishments as VP

doosra 2023-03-18 03:48:21 

In reply to FanAttick

we are saying the same thing basically...

thanks for amplifying what i said above your post

FanAttick 2023-03-18 11:07:49 

In reply to doosra

Indeed

Dukes 2023-03-18 11:42:24 

In reply to FanAttick

Stokes was promoted based on the overwhelming record of his own tangible individual performances as VC

Here is the difference between you and I.
You merely state something as fact whereas I give examples
Stokes ,if my memory serves me correctly captained the England team once against the West Indies and managed to lose IN ENGLAND whilst Root captained 2 matches in the series IMMEDIATELY AFTER and won both matches.

Dukes 2023-03-18 11:56:31 

In reply to FanAttick

Some notable accomplishments in Cricket Administration: Transformed SVG Cricket Association financially; established a commercial arm; and led governance reform, with the inclusion of a term limit for the president. Additionally, created the first lucrative T10 league in the Caribbean, Vincy Premier League, while creating international relationships for other national boards to benefit similarly, hence, other successful T10 tournaments. At Windwards level, revised constitution, including term limit for the president. Further, there were substantial investment in youth cricket with returns of winning the West Indies Under 17 Boys tournament in 2022. Also hosted the first- ever international Under 19 girls tour by USA in 2021. For CWI, chaired the Taskforce that developed the first West Indies selection policy. Worked closely with outgoing President Ricky Skerritt to maneuver a challenging COVID-19 pandemic and to stabilize the organisation’s financial state. As Chair of the Franchise Review Committee, made viable solid recommendations to improve the outputs of the professional setup.

According to Mr.Shallow.

I await your treatise on Stokes " tangible individual performances as VC" One can only assume that these performances were not or could not be made as an ordinary member of the team.