The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

Alcaraz vs Sinner & Mevedev

hotarobin 2023-03-19 00:06:16 

Alcaraz playing pure rubbish yet he was able to eke out the win for the first set..

Chrissy 2023-03-19 00:23:10 

In reply to hotarobin

Carlos is genius level - yuh saw dat finish there
3-0
lol lol

hotarobin 2023-03-19 00:25:39 

Alcaraz playing better in the second and he is up 3-0..One thing about his game is that he needs to develop a better serve to get more free points.

hotarobin 2023-03-19 00:27:32 

In reply to Chrissy

Assuming he wraps this one up it will be interesting to see the final..

hotarobin 2023-03-19 00:35:37 

Sinner is perplexed..45 minutes ago he wasn't expecting to be in his current position..

Chrissy 2023-03-19 00:44:33 

In reply to hotarobin
Carlos didn’t play well in the 1st set but he is a cut above most of his peers.

Chrissy 2023-03-19 00:47:48 

In reply to hotarobin
The Med won their only meeting

Chrissy 2023-03-19 00:54:38 

Clinical win

hotarobin 2023-03-19 00:55:39 

In reply to Chrissy

The kid is special..

Chrissy 2023-03-19 01:21:11 

In reply to hotarobin

Agree but he’ll have to watch the injuries.

Chrissy 2023-03-19 21:47:56 

Women's final
Rybakina wins the 1st set tiebreaker. Up a break in the 2nd leading 3-1

Chrissy 2023-03-19 22:14:48 

And Rybakina wins in straight sets

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-03-19 22:20:33 

In reply to Chrissy

A really tight match, but sabalenka was a bit too erratic

Chrissy 2023-03-19 23:49:21 

In reply to FuzzyWuzzy
Yep

Carlos is playing beautiful tennis.
Takes Set 1 6-3
The Med cannot stand on the base line against this kid

imusic 2023-03-19 23:52:45 

In reply to Chrissy

Beautiful tennis indeed

The tennis world is grateful that with the retirement of Roger and with Rafa not far behind, such a combination of greatness and artistry can still be on display

Gracias Carlos

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:00:23 

In reply to imusic
The Med is the iceman but even he is rattled - damn what a back hand return.
Double break now

imusic 2023-03-20 00:05:28 

In reply to Chrissy

In this mood……not sure I’ve seen better.

He’s playing incredible tennis. The full package on display. The only thing you MIGHT say is missing is that he doesn’t have a dominant serve that gives him feee points from aces.

Outside of that, he’s complete. Defence, attack, forehand, backhand, touch, serve & volley, mental strength, he has it all.

And all of that at 19 to boot. Amazing!

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:10:05 

In reply to imusic

And all of that at 19 to boot. Amazing!

This lol lol

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:12:16 

In reply to imusic
Even his coach is shaking his head in disbelief

lol

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:25:27 

6-3; 6-2 - fabulous -amazing tennis
lol lol

imusic 2023-03-20 00:28:25 

In reply to Chrissy

And rightfully takes the #1 ranking.

No imposters allowed! lol

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:29:41 

In reply to imusic

Dem can be Antivax or antivex - I een care
lol lol lol

hotarobin 2023-03-20 00:33:32 

In reply to Chrissy

..there is so much about this kid that reminds me of Federer but he has more potential I believe.

the way he runs around the backhand, the cross court racket head speed, the serve and volley and delicate hands at net..the obvious difference is that he has a two handed backhand and I am more impressed with his thinking on the court than Fed's..

BUT it's early days still and no disrespect to Fed because Fed, Joka and Nadal did it for a long long time..this kid only now start..

btw Medvedev has one of the most ungainly playing styles I have ever seen..

Congrats to Alcaraz!!

Chrissy 2023-03-20 00:35:56 

In reply to hotarobin

Yes he does have that Fed elegance but that drop shot is his
lol

The Med is 6.8 - dat is no easy height.
He is one of the most gracious players on the court and also has a wicked sense of humour.

hotarobin 2023-03-20 00:42:45 

In reply to Chrissy

we always said that he was special but I will say that when Joka came out last year and said point blank that "Alcaraz is the best player in the world this year" it really caught my attention..

I hope he remains healthy..we now have to see how he will handle the target on his back seeing that he is #1 again..

imusic 2023-03-20 00:44:13 

In reply to Chrissy

Yes. Medvedev has worked hard on his public demeanor because he used to be criticized for it. I remember him going at it with the US Open crowd back in the day.

As you say….he has a wicked sense of humor and is one of the more engaging interviews in the game.

He not manufactured like some cool

FuzzyWuzzy 2023-03-20 00:50:19 

Congratulations to Carlitos. Medvedev was completely outplayed. I don't understand why in the face of such achievements some half-tit has to introduce bitterness, but cest la vie

Oh well.

Chrissy 2023-03-20 14:03:12 

Carlos Alcaraz follows Rafael Nadal, Roger Federer on notable record

Carlos Alcaraz claimed his first Indian Wells title without dropping a set! The season's opening Masters 1000 event in Indian Wells has been reserved for the greatest names in tennis since 1990. The ATP Tour leaders, including Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal, have had great success in the desert.

The Swiss and the Spaniard gathered seven Indian Wells titles combined, three of which came without losing a set. Federer and Nadal were the only players to wrap up a perfect title in Indian Wells before Alcaraz joined them last week.

lol lol lol

imusic 2023-03-21 02:42:27 

Keep an eye on Sinner. Have a feeling the rivalry will be between Carlos and Sinner over the next few years.

JohnBull 2023-03-21 13:26:35 

In reply to imusic

Rivalry started long time and Carlos leads 4-2 so far

With the possible exception of Djoka, I don't see anyone on whom I would bet to beat this kid. And I am not confident that Djoka will beat him either. He turns 20 in May and there has never been another player with so complete a game at his age, ne-ffing-ver...!

Some of you criticizing his serve ...really...? His height is against him yes, but his serve has improved every year the last three. Do you remember Rafa's serve at 19? This kid's is ten times better and look how well Rafa serves now. You best believe that Carlos' will improve just as commensurately as he ages.

You remember the cry baby quitter the Djoka was at 19. This kid is a mentality monster already, a Godzilla to raass. And this will get better too as he ages and develops.

I sorry for the rest ah man dem on the tour cause dis yute nah skin teeth at all.

imusic 2023-03-21 16:19:50 

In reply to JohnBull

With the possible exception of Djoka, I don't see anyone on whom I would bet to beat this kid. And I am not confident that Djoka will beat him either. He turns 20 in May and there has never been another player with so complete a game at his age, ne-ffing-ver...!

Whole heartedly agree.

In fact, I fully endorse your entire post.

Chrissy 2023-03-21 19:05:20 

In reply to JohnBull
Agree 100% - a complete player - only injury or some off court drama can stop him.

Nice clip
wink

hotarobin 2023-03-21 23:30:35 

In reply to JohnBull

Some of you criticizing his serve ...really...?
...the fact is that he doesn't get a lot of free point from his serve..He is the same height as Fed who made it a point to out serve some of the big servers just for fun.. of course he can improve it and I believe he will but right now it's not there yet..still he has the best game on tour right now so imagine if/when he gets it right..

JohnBull 2023-03-22 02:31:21 

In reply to hotarobin

Carlos served consistently 130+ mph to beat both Skinner and Medvedev over the weekend and you saying he doesn't have a good serve...?

First man in six years to win title without dropping a set and he don't have a good serve .....?

Man ress yuhself...he's won at Flushing Meadows and is no 1 player in the world and still a teenager.

But yeah ....I know ...he doan have a good serve ..... rolleyes rolleyes

hotarobin 2023-03-22 03:34:24 

In reply to JohnBull

First man in six years to win title without dropping a set and he don't have a good serve .....?
am exactly where did I say that he don't have a good serve?

I said that his serve needs to improve so that he can get more free points!! there is BIG difference!!

in case you don't know, the idea is to play as efficiently as possible so that you don't put unnecessary strain on your body..getting free points off the serve is instrumental towards that goal..

the fact that he is #1 and all of the other crap you talking is completely irrelevant..you can be a great player and still work on improving aspects of your game, for example Nadal, Federer and Joka..

You might try reading properly before starting silly arguments..

JohnBull 2023-03-22 13:29:14 

In reply to hotarobin

Not trying to start an argument boss as you've demonstrated amply on here that you know phuck all abt the game....and das on a good day .... lol

Yuh nit picking with the serve thing bro ....is like a man give yuh a Ferrari for free and yuh give him back cause yuh doan like the colour .... rolleyes

He will serve more aces as time goes by but remember, he's not Nadal, he doesn't play tennis by attrition, much more of a shot maker so will get plenty of free points with his murderous ground strokes. And don't forget that drop shot ....have mercy...!

.there is so much about this kid that reminds me of Federer but he has more potential I believe.

the way he runs around the backhand, the cross court racket head speed, the serve and volley and delicate hands at net..the obvious difference is that he has a two handed backhand and I am more impressed with his thinking on the court than Fed's..

Alcaraz doesn't remind me of Roger at all, more Djoka for me. But I'm really curious as to your criteria for measuring "thinking on the court" for both players in order to be able to draw the comparison....?