The Independent Voice of West Indies Cricket

Message Board Archives

King's Glaring Weakness...

Hendra 2023-03-19 21:13:08 

To spin is now obvious for all to see. Once the spinners come on, he seems to get coldfeet and loses his wicket. Soon teams will open with a spinner just to get his wicket early.
Bugs me how, at this stage of his career, he has not been able to buck this problem. Don't see him keeping his place on the team if he doesn't address this problem... and quickly at that!

Brerzerk 2023-03-19 21:23:15 

In reply to Hendra
He should seek out Junior Bennet for advice. Not just for technical reasons but for his coaching style

fatherly, like a counselor

Slipfeeler 2023-03-19 22:09:25 

In reply to Hendra

All West Indian batsmen are vulnerable to spin bowling. King is one of our most lethal batsman, you cannot keep him out of the team, I know that you might be looking for a spot of your talentless players but every player on the ODI team merit their places based on individual performances, you cannot “Reifer” anyone out of this team.
big grin big grin big grin

Hendra 2023-03-20 00:14:21 

In reply to Slipfeeler
Pettiness, parochialism again. Even King should admit that he has a weakness against spin, yet u think that I'm engaging in homeboyism by pointing this out. smh.

Dukes 2023-03-20 02:21:09 

In reply to Hendra

Brandon King has gotten out to spinners 14 out of his 19 dismissals.He does demonstrate some vulnerability but he is no worse than the others.I believe he is good enough a batsman to work things out.The problem is he is not playing against quality spinners enough.The problem always keeps coming back to not enough first class cricket and the absence of the top players dues to white ball commitments FOR CWI.
Here is the reality.If you are say 5'10" tall you can either go long forward and get to the ball almost on the half-volley.If you can not, then that ball is short enough to play on the Backfoot from deep in the crease..You have to be able to judge where the ball is likely to land.This is more difficult if the bowler has significant loop and if he tosses the ball above the eye line.
I have seen coaches have batsmen just stand in the crease and judge the length of the ball being tossed to them by shouting front foot or back foot when the ball is in mid air.
When evaluating players one looks at the quickness with which they are able to judge the likely length of a ball.

velo 2023-03-20 11:45:55 

spinners are always up their with the highest wicket takers in the wi year after year so logically you would think the batsmen would be use to playing it.so it says a lot about the batting and quality of spin bowling in the caribbean.permaul and cornwall are not international quality spinners but take alot of wickets at fc level what you think thewi going do when they come up against real quality spinners?. king is not the only one the vice captain also is bad.they need to hire some people from the asian subcontinent to work with the wi batsmen big grin

Jumpstart 2023-03-20 17:58:38 

In reply to Hendra

o spin is now obvious for all to see. Once the spinners come on, he seems to get coldfeet and loses his wicket. Soon teams will open with a spinner just to get his wicket early.

Pace bowling is the in thing now.....i don't think a spin weakness is that big an issue in this time. Bonner can play spin very well but was concussed the first delivery he got from nortje

SnoopDog 2023-03-20 19:10:18 

In reply to Dukes

He needs to learn how to get singles and get off strike to the spinners - even if they are both ends.

natty_forever 2023-03-20 20:08:18 

In reply to SnoopDog

...which Dukes feels would be learned if more FC cricket was played.

Dukes 2023-03-21 02:40:33 

In reply to natty_forever

It really is not rocket science.

Hendra 2023-03-21 11:42:59 

I didn't see King bat today but how did he
shape up against the spinners?

natty_forever 2023-03-21 12:26:45 

In reply to Hendra

Mek the thread look like rubbish.

hubert 2023-03-21 13:11:49 

In reply to natty_forever

big grin big grin big grin

Slipfeeler 2023-03-21 13:20:07 

That’s why we should not listen to, as they say back home, “idiot people”, the man just looking for a spot for his homies and barked, (puns intended), upon the wrong tree.
big grin big grin smile big grin